Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
1zippo1
Regular User

Default can or can't I do this?

As some of you know I mostly drive my moms car since I don't own one myself. She has a Toyota Yaris 1.0 69hp. Not a bad car but not a good one IMO either... the suspension is to soft and the engine, well it's a 1liter, need I say more? The Top Gear guys say it's the best small car... but it just isn't sportive enough IMO.

But still you can have some fun with it, it's not a GTI but you can still discover it's limits or slide through some corners when the road is wet.
One of the things I like to do is when I'm driving "fast" is to brake and downshift at the same time, so the revs go back into the higher reagons.
This improves the braking distance and it's quite fun too. But I fear it's not so healthy for the clutch. I don't get the revs to high. I allways try to keep 500rpm beneath the redline when I'm accelerating and 1000 beneath the redline when I'm downshifting. But I notice that when I do it a lot I hear a metalic high noise when the clutch gets to the point where it clutches (or how do you call it in english). Even when I just do it normally the clutch still makes that noise for a few days when I downshifted to much...

Now my question is of course, is this normal? I can make up a few answers myself:

A. Yes any car, the clutch of an M3 would get damaged if you brake by downshifting and letting the revs go high. Even if you keep well beneath the redline.

B. It's a Toyota Yaris 1.0, if I had a WRX or maybe a Yaris T sport (sort of a gti) you could do this

C. No it's not normall when you do the same with lets say a saxo you don't have this problem
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote