Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 07-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
racer_f50
Regular User

Default 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX TR

Hello everyone! On Friday I became the proud owner of a brand new 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX TR!!!!

First off, the ever important custom shot: (You can remove the Celica now)

Now, coming from a '91 Toyota Celica the performance, handling, interior quality, and overall bad-ass-ness of this WRX are just incredible.

Of course being a fan of WRC I got it in World Rally Blue. Everytime I see it sitting in my garage or in a parking lot I get a huge thrill seeing a blue WRX sitting there for me.

The handling and grip are just crazy. There's a bit too much body roll, but it's a very well balanced car and the traction is 100% pretty much all the time in the dry. I definitely look forward to some rain (or snow in the winter) so I can really play with the differentials.

The engine is still in its break-in period (which means keep it under 4000rpm), but I cheated a couple times so that my girlfriend could feel how fast this thing is. And speaking of the engine, I'm really loving the sound this boxer engine makes. It's very growly and deep at low revs, very sweet. I've got about 600 or 700 miles left on the break-in period, which will certainly be hell!

The short throw shifter is also really nice. The gears lock in place very solidly.

Onto more pictures! They kinda turned out poorly due to the sunny day, but I'll take some better ones another time.

Last edited by TT; 02-07-2008 at 07:10 AM.
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Caplax40
Regular User

[hater]

Should of bought a used STI man, should have bought an STI......shame shame.

[/hater]
Caplax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
Zot09
Regular User

Nice ride dude! Sure, a used Sti would have been awesome but that satisfaction of having a car nobody else has owned is also nice! Have fun and drive safely!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
sentra_dude

Awesome dude! :good: A nice upgrade from the Celica. I'd love to get a slightly used WRX but there's no way I can afford that right now. Speaking of, how is the insruance if you don't mind me asking.

Congrats, and keep us updated, very cool ride. 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Congrats dude
Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Awesome dude! :good: A nice upgrade from the Celica. I'd love to get a slightly used WRX but there's no way I can afford that right now. Speaking of, how is the insruance if you don't mind me asking.

Congrats, and keep us updated, very cool ride. 8)
Insurance isn't as bad as I thought, but it's definitely pricey. I have a clean driving record and qualified for a bunch of discounts at Allstate (for planning ahead, getting renters insurance through them, etc...) so I'm paying around $185 for full coverage with a $250 deductible on comprehensive. Kinda sucks, but in 2.5 years my price will go down.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

Hey... I'll be in town tomorrow (monday) evening, want to meet? Do you still have my cell?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
Pokiou
Regular User

Welcome to the WRX CLAN

lets see HOW many jabba people will end up buying a wrx

also for the body roll... if you lower it.. that will kill the body roll
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
racer_f50
Regular User

Thanks guys

I'm not sure about tuning it just yet. At a minimum I'll wait for the engine to be through its break-in before I do anything with power. I'm not sure I want to lower it either, I like the current rally-ish stance (for now, at least).

First suspension upgrade would be sway bars & end links, then down the line I'd consider other changes.

Tires are also on my list to save up for. I'd like to get some winter rims & tires and by next summer get some nice summer tires. These Bridgestone all-seasons do the job just fine for now, though.

Any suggestions for a good winter tire?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #10
SilviaEvo
Regular User

i was going to suggest those sway bars first instead of lowering it. its a really sexy scooby for sure but why arent the mirrors painted is that just on the TR pack? and what is the TR pack ive never heard of it before.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
saadie
Regular User

awwsome!!

congrats dude i really like this car .. for its shape .. and alll the technologies it has within .. .

take good car of it 8) 8) 8)
Old 07-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
racer_f50
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
i was going to suggest those sway bars first instead of lowering it. its a really sexy scooby for sure but why arent the mirrors painted is that just on the TR pack? and what is the TR pack ive never heard of it before.
The TR is mechanically the same as a standard WRX, but was built to be about $1000 cheaper.
-Unpainted side mirrors
**WRX has part of them painted
-Previous generation WRX side skirts (painted, though)
**WRX has same skirts as STi
-Seats with identical bolstering, but separate headrests
**WRX has race-looking seats, just have connected head rest really
-Single disc CD player, lower wattage
**WRX has 6-disc changer
-Regular HVAC controls
**WRX has automatic climate control

I mostly got the TR due to availability, but I really don't mind the differences much.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:56 AM   #13
SilviaEvo
Regular User

wow i wouldnt mind the differences either. it is a sexy beast!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #14
ARMAN
Regular User

cool drive safe

imo it asks for lowering and maybe different and wider wheels

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
racer_f50
Regular User

Thought I'd give you guys an update. I've got 449 miles on the car now, so only 551 miles left on the break-in. It's really tough to keep it under 4,000rpm! I slip up occassionally when taking interstate on-ramps since I just loooooooove how you can floor the gas on clover-leafs and the car just stays perfectly in line.

Installed a new shift knob today The stock one wasn't too bad, but I much prefer the spherical ones (balls, if you will... ). I just couldn't justify spending $80 on the MOMO/Subaru one, so I grabbed a $30 knob off eBay.

The auction claimed it was real carbon fibre, which looks pretty accurate based on how the light reflects off the different parts of the weave. I could care less either way since it looks pretty nice and fits my hand well.

The shift is a lot more solid now, the stock shifter was a bit softer and absorbed some of the vibrations and the like.

Since the stock shifter has a plastic piece on the bottom which keeps the shifter boot up, I had to rely on ScoobyMods.com to find a way to keep it up with the new knob. Basically you just take about 2 inches of fuel hose, slit it lengthwise and fit it around the shifter rod. Then use a zip-tie to hold it tight and slide it up the rod high enough to keep the shifter boot right at the knob. Works great and only cost $2 (for the ties, the hose was free at Autozone since the clerk was cool).

Anyway I took more pictures
(higher resolution shots are available, just PM me if you want them)