Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 02-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #31
Pehtren
Regular User

thanks for the info, good time
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #32
04RCSTI
Regular User

So I took the filter of my turbo out a while ago and check this out...

Dont know how it happened, but I'm sending it in now to get fixed....
Looks like after this week Im gonna have a
new block (forged internals)
New clutch
Redesigned FMIC
fixed turbo
+ fixed a bunch other things
electronically adjustable coilovers
new intake

its looking like next weekend is going to be one of those awesome weekends...

Will be getting pictures of the old block and new block among things...
Old 02-13-2006, 12:29 AM   #33
Banchi105
Regular User

04RCSTI

You have to enter next months photo of the month competition. I've had your car as my bground all week!
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:54 AM   #34
r2r
Regular User

Nice car and nice pics, hope you'll have fun with this car for a long time
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #35
04RCSTI
Regular User

hahaha which one?? I'd love to enter if TT feels that the pics are good enough, thanks!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #36
Evo
Regular User

Congragulations.. I was in the same possition as you are in couple of months ago after I blew my engine at the track.. .. I was sad that I'm going to spend some money but happy because it's going to be a beast when I finish from it.. And now I can't be happier.. Although I did not go with a GT35R as I hate lag.. I went with it's younger brother 3076 and made a terrific amount of power..440 at all 4 wheels... I am thinking of stroking the engine to reduce Lag time.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:58 AM   #37
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by 04RCSTI
The Front mount is necessary for high horsepower applications , as the top mount IC (stock location) is much too small to provide the necessary surface area and volume to cool the air thats getting fed into the engine. The other alternative is an air-to-water intercooler that uses water to cool the incoming air, rather than exterior air going through the fins of the FMIC. I did not install the parts myself, all the piping you see is custom bent and fabricated on the car, FOR the car. A lot of work went into it.
a very nice car... and one of just a few likely canidates as my next car

about your intake...
i can definately understand why you would want an extremely short distance airbox... but that hardly seems like much of a cool spot of the engine thermodynamically speaking... close proximity to the turbine, and a low air-flow area in general.
why not use the existing hood-scoop, with some costom fittings... and have a much cooler charge on the air entering the airbox... ultimately, aiding in cooling your impellar... and perhaps extending its life... hot air+hot exhaust doesnt seem like an ideal setup to me... even if your air is cooled by the intercooler.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #38
oscargarza88
Regular User

wow great scooby!
alot of power!!

im getting an 06 sti pretty soon.. around my bday i cant wait!!!!!!
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #39
oscargarza88
Regular User

^^
me neither trust me! but hey my birthday is till april... so... :roll:
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #40
Pehtren
Regular User

Originally Posted by oscargarza88
^^
me neither trust me! but hey my birthday is till april... so... :roll:
oscar thats great 2 months to go
Old 02-13-2006, 07:34 PM   #41
04RCSTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
The Front mount is necessary for high horsepower applications , as the top mount IC (stock location) is much too small to provide the necessary surface area and volume to cool the air thats getting fed into the engine. The other alternative is an air-to-water intercooler that uses water to cool the incoming air, rather than exterior air going through the fins of the FMIC. I did not install the parts myself, all the piping you see is custom bent and fabricated on the car, FOR the car. A lot of work went into it.
a very nice car... and one of just a few likely canidates as my next car

about your intake...
i can definately understand why you would want an extremely short distance airbox... but that hardly seems like much of a cool spot of the engine thermodynamically speaking... close proximity to the turbine, and a low air-flow area in general.
why not use the existing hood-scoop, with some costom fittings... and have a much cooler charge on the air entering the airbox... ultimately, aiding in cooling your impellar... and perhaps extending its life... hot air+hot exhaust doesnt seem like an ideal setup to me... even if your air is cooled by the intercooler.
The truth is that although you could argue that performance is increased by having colder air being inducted, the fact of the matter is that the difference a few degrees makes in performance is almost completely negligible when you take into account the size of the IC core. The drop of temp from before the IC to the throttle body is large enough that the temperature of the air being sucked in is really not a huge factor.

Granted if I stuck the filter in my hood scoop it would probably send an extra 5hp my way, but then I'd have to worry about water from the car wash...debree...and all those other wonderful things that get sucked into the scoop...

Routing it to the Wheel well like I used to have it is really a hassle and another expense (trust me I dont need any more of those). Not to mention the extra bends in the piping only add obstructions to the airflow. Whatever HP I would gain from sucking in colder air, id loose in the piping.

Happy to answer questions..
Old 02-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #42
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

haha, nice pic of the turbo...i've seen a few of my dsm buddies with the same story
Old 02-18-2006, 12:12 AM   #43
04RCSTI
Regular User

Well guys, I have a new block, new turbo and new clutch coming in the next couple of days. Its going to be really awesome once I get it back together. Car should easily make 400whp++ at 3500 rpm. I'm really excited right now because it will actually be faster and spool faster than with the bigger turbo. I cant even wait for my break in period, im going to enjoy this so much. Ill get you fellas some sweet videos when I get everything back together. Pictures will probably come tomorrow and during the next week for those who are interested.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:35 AM   #44
Pehtren
Regular User

I think we are all interested , 400whp thats a lot, and you made this from 2000ccm
Old 02-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #45
dingo
Regular User

Good news, look forward to seeing it all together - good luck!