Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 AM   #1
ARMAN
Regular User

Default How do you take pics?

How do you take pics of cars? Just standing normally on your feet or lean over(words?) a bit or you crouch to take a shot? Or maybe you use that stick with 3 legs?(tripod I guess it called)

I crouch everytime I take pics and next day cannot walk cause of pain in my legs

Whats you choice?

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:05 AM   #2
dingo
Regular User

It depends on where the car is located I guess, sometimes you are limited to what angles you can take pics at.

I generally take pics from different angles and heights, sometimes the camera is on the floor and looking up at the car and sometimes its high in the air.

Also, its good to look for somewhere to stand to get a 'different' view of the car - for example I love being able to stand somewhere I am above the car and can shoot down on it.

The tripod is only used in low light situations for me.....to much of a hassle to be used for all pics (and not needed).

Hope that answers your question....

EDIT: one of the most important things for me is that the whole car is in the shot, and the front or back is not 'chopped' off. (unless of course your taking detailed shots).
Old 09-01-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
Darkel
Regular User

My Sony slave takes all the pics for me

As dingo said, you have to deal with the car's location, if it's parked in the middle of nowhere it's much easier than stuck between 2 other cars

I often crouch down when it's possible, but it's really painful when you have to do that a few times (sometimes I almost fall down )

Being a bit tall and not having a directional screen on my digicam it's impossible for me to take some "down lows" so I just stand up and shoot down (I call this the lazy-mode)

Tripod is only for shitty light conditions, I always bring my pocket tripod with me and the "big" tripod when I know it'll be useful (dealerships, museums or so)

The golden rule is indeed "put the whole car in the damn pic, if you can't, don't shoot or try something else"
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:26 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

Yep, same here, no fixed rules.. for some cars/location you just have to crounch or the pics will be "boring" or even "bad". for others you need to stand still and so on.. IMO it is very important to change as much as possible and not always use the same angles
Old 09-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Darkel
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
IMO it is very important to change as much as possible and not always use the same angles
Damn, I'm owned
Darkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
stmoritzer
Regular User

I agree to the above montioned - it really depends on the situation

sometimes a top-down shot is very nice

or crouch down on the same height of the car

or you place the camera near the ground to get " the power of a MC12" pictures

or catch the scenery

or take a detail (E-type exhaust)

and yes, either complete car or detail-shots, rule #1 !

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
ARMAN
Regular User

I take all pics(except very few) on crouch LOL I see I gotta be flexible

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #8
SamuraiGti
Regular User

I don't have a tripod, i'm lookink foward to buy one to the digicam.

Normally i take pic's standing or if there is a wall to put the camera or even on the ground. It depends of what I'm shooting.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SamuraiGti is offline   Reply With Quote