Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7 TdV6 HSE

Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7 TdV6 HSE

More pics :arrow: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=678398#678398

Yet another diesel.. dang, am I going down the slope these days :roll:

Specifications

Engine - V6 2720cc
Power - 190 hp / 4000 rpm
Torque - 440 Nm / 1900 rpm
Weight - 2674 kg (included 75 kg for the driver)
Fuel Tank - 84 l
Max Speed (declared) - 193 km/h
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h - 12,7
Fuel economy (out of town / town / mixed) - 8,5 / 13,2 / 10,2 l/100 km
Tranny - 6 speeds auto

Seats - 5
Doors - 5
Lenght / width - 4768 / 1928 (2170 with mirrors) mm
Height - 1812 mm (suspensions in standard position)
Boot - 958 l (up to 2013 l)

Exterior

As many of you, I think the RR Sport is one of the most beautiful SUV for sale today. In an ideal world, I would ban such nonsense cars. Actually, all of them but one, the LM002, which is so utterly crazy that it is ok
But we don't live in an ideal world, so we have to accept the fact most moms want to drive in such cars to feel comfy and protected. And if they really have, at least let's give them some nice cars.
I love it's lines, strong, bulky, a bit squarish actually. From the front it's really agressive, especially when lowered, and also the side view is quite good, despite the wheels this model had which aren't my fav.
The back is not so good IMO, as if it was a bit rushed, and for sure the lack of the "supercharged" badge doesn't help nor feed your ego.

Interior

It's business. leather everywhere, and good leather of course. Console finishing is top level, everthing is nice to touch and gives a really cozy feeling. For the buttons freaks they are everywhere. Basically too many of them when you jump in for the first time, but you'll learn with time for sure, and probably most of them are useless since this is more like P&P car IMO. Jump in and drive, especially if it's a soccer mom...
The seats are big and hug you in a warm and familiar way, the wheel is the right size and the rig the right tickness, the commands, although there are too many of them, are easy to reach.
Of course the backseats have plenty of room too and te boot is as big as it can get.

How does it drive?

Errr... slow! Sadly the experience with this V6 turbodiesel is really deceiving. The car 190 hp and 400 Nm are obviously not enough for the behemoth. The autogear of course helps in masking the problems and a manual would be a nightmare to be kept on boil I bet, but still, if you'll glance at the speedo, you'll notie the needle is barely moving across the range...
The wheel is overassisted even at speed, or at least it never seems close to a direct link between steering wheel and wheels. It is precise though. Just a bit artificial in the process.
Body roll might be quite good for an SUV, but not having a big experience with them I can tell you it is still not that impressive and the car leans to the side quite frankly. Only other SUV I drove for a while is a Defender and ok, that one is MUCH worse
Anyway, as said, progression is not effortless and anyway always frustratingly slow. Take this car out of town (basically to where it should belong) and you'll end up frustrated by its performance. Don't try to attack your favourite road, you'll just be disappointed. A bit better if you just cruise around thanks, as said, to the good autotranny, which is smooth and useful.
The brake pedal is firm enough and the bite seems good. I wonder if the 2.7 has the same brakin gear of the V8 engines or not since it's basically lighter.
Funny to play with ride height, but as any other gizmo, the novelty fade quickly.
Sadly no time to really do the hooligan offroad. Just a little bit where I took some of the pics and traction seemed quite good. same goes for ground clearing in the suspensions' top position. But again, I wonder how that engine would cope in extreme situations
So basically, the driving is crap (not really the handling part, but the performance one) for most ppl standards, but to be in such car still keeps some sense of occasion that will still keep you happy, at least for a while.
Despite the obvious fuel economy, this 2.7 seems really a poor entry model and without having to go for the supercharger, I bet the petrol V8 option is much better on the road (300 hp and 425 Nm)

What are the most positive features of the car?

Sporty look
Inside space

What are the most negative features of the car?

Sporty look can't come with so poor performance
Too many buttons?

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

Well, taken as a whole range, the RR Sport is still the most desirable option in its league IMO. It looks sporty, it has good loading capability and can carry a family in a relaxed way
It's less common than an ML, X5 or Cayenne and some ppl prefer to have some more exclusivity, especially if it comes in a good and pretty well priced package.

Conclusion

Still desirable despite a terrible experience with a terrible engine I can't seem to love, I think the Sport is definitely a nice car, and popping open its door is not so bad.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

a 2.7 Range Rover

great pics as usual TT 8)
(EDIT- and great write up as well!)

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
LotusGT1
Regular User

Pictures are awesome, nice locations, nice angles, and very high quality. Car looks great, not surprisingly the engine is gutless. I see this car loosing most shoot-outs in magazines (against the new ML, X5, Q7) but it just looks cool. Thanks for the review!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
1zippo1
Regular User

Default Re: Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7 TdV6 HSE

thx for the review and the nice pics! Your reviews are getting better and better!!
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote