Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 01-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
MIHALS
Regular User

Default Is It worth to switch to D350+cheaper lense?

Hi guys,

I'm seriously deciding buying a D350 plain body with some lense (don't want to buy that useless kit lense). the problem is I'm able to invest into the lens just up to 350Eur. so it should be something like from 80-220 if possible, but I have no idea which lense in this price line (if there are any reasonable lenses :bah: ) to buy.

any advices from many of you here guys? TT, Cowboy, Martijn, Everso, Dingo, Smylait...?

is it even worth investing those money if I can't afford a propper lense, or should I stay with my Minolta A200? (see my pics below my sig...)

thanx a lot for help!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
MartijnGizmo
Regular User

Sigma 17-70 seems to be a popular starter-lens. If it's to expensive: get a 2nd hand kitlens (they cost around €50 over here) and sell it for the same price once you've got the money for a decent lens.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
TopGearNL
Regular User

Bought a D50 Myself and a Sigma 70-300 Lense

Definately worth it!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

No doubt, it's worth. A reflex will always be better than a compact or even bridge camera anyway. And even if at first you'll have to go with cheap Sigma lenses or Canon low grade ones, the day will come when you'll save enough for a good lense (not necessarily an L right away). and that day you won't regret having switched to a real camera
Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
MIHALS
Regular User

so do you think this would be okay? I mean I'm not that rich to buy a cheap crap and I dont understand these numbers yet ops:
thanx!

http://fyad.org/k4p0
Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
MIHALS
Regular User

yep, your pics gave me the idea actually (best pics of 2006 topic )
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
^ yeps - I don't have any supa-dupa lens as some of the JW pro-photographers have...

I prefer to spend that money in superb scale models

The Nikon 80-200 lens that you borrowed from your dad is one of the best Nikkor zoom lenses in terms of picture quality. The 70-200 that I have is marginally better in picture quality and has little more range and Vibration reduction

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Yep ... The 80-200 is an awesome lens for the money --> http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=28&page=2

Here's the peer review of my 70-200 http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=28&page=1

Mihal ... Is there an active used market for cameras/lenses in CZ? The camera bodies depreciate quite a bit - so you could get a body cheap and use the savings on a better quality lens.

Anyway, your photos are fantastic with your current equipment. It can only get better with an SLR

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 01-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #9
TopGearNL
Regular User

/\/\ That lense sounds very interesting 8)
Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #10
MIHALS
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Mihal ... Is there an active used market for cameras/lenses in CZ? The camera bodies depreciate quite a bit - so you could get a body cheap and use the savings on a better quality lens.

Anyway, your photos are fantastic with your current equipment. It can only get better with an SLR
well yeah,we have a huge store in prague with new/used photo stuff and i've been told it's great opportunity to get anything cheaper and in great condition.but i don't trust it.i prefer buying everything new especially camera body-you never know if it was broken before :bah:

and thank you for compliments
Old 01-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
TT
Regular User

dang, I could have sold you my 70-300 IS instead of selling it to the store where I bought the F2.8
Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
MIHALS
Regular User

well, I wasn't thinking about buying an SLR in the near future...

shit happens... My brother got visited by bulglar last year - they broke in to his flat and stole 2 SLRs with lenses, fortunatelly they didn't take the studio flashes... but still - it was his second job and it's over... for now
Old 01-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
sameerrao
Regular User

Cripes! Sad to hear Mihal!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
Igorionia
Regular User

MIHALS i got the same problem right know
I wonder should i buy Canon 400D +kit lense (and save some money for new lenses) or I should save some money right know and buy better body like Canon 20D... Don't know I'm not actually very good in lenses. But into photography about 2years right know with my Canon Powershot G5.It's ok but i need more zoom. Faster Camera. More functions. I'm using my G5 mostly for car related photography. Races/Racing Events, simple Photoshoots but sometimes like to photo my friends,city etc. So Can you guys help me ?
And what About Nikon cameras?
I know that Canon got family like 300D/350D/400D and 20D/30D. But what equivalented cameras got Nikon. Found a lot of them on dpreview like D200/D50/D70/D40 can't understend what is what ...

some of my photos with G5
first page of folders
second page of folders

Igorionia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #15
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by MIHALS
well, I wasn't thinking about buying an SLR in the near future...

shit happens... My brother got visited by bulglar last year - they broke in to his flat and stole 2 SLRs with lenses, fortunatelly they didn't take the studio flashes... but still - it was his second job and it's over... for now
OMG that sux :shock:

Did he get anything back from the insurance?