Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 02-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
|Nuno|
Regular User

Default Why the F2005 is late

Apparently the reason for the F2005 being introduced later than the other cars is because Ferrari are building a new ultra-quick gearbox.

Ross Brawn has told AMuS that Ferrari's new gearbox has titanium insides and a carbon casing. Due to the gearbox taking its time in any case, this has also handed some 672 hours of extra time to Aldo Costa and Rory Byrne to develop the car in the wind tunnel.

McLaren's Newey acknowledges the magnitude of the challenge: "We were left with six weeks to conceptualize the car, whereas Ferrari got ten weeks using their approach. Normally we would check everything in the wind tunnel and in simulations, but now we had to rely on our experience to a large extent. If we had Ferrari's budget and resources we too would have done the same. We tried that approach in 2003 but were forced to admit it was a too big a project for us." Kimi Räikkönen commented: "In recent years Ferrari have been more often right than wrong in their choice of approach." But Kimi also thinks McLaren are in a good position with their own new car. While the new carbon gearbox has caused some problems due to overheating, structural problems have been pinpointed. "This is the only problem area. One year ago we had problems everywhere," Kimi said.

Credit goes to HSJ at the atlasf1 forums for the translation.

Taken from thescuderia.net
Old 02-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
SilviaEvo
Regular User

Sounds good for Ferrari but i thought they had already released their 2005 car isnt that what is in all those pics?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #3
ikon2003
Regular User

Nice information. Always pushing the envelope it seems. I'm looking forward to seeing some of this new tech in action.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
Sounds good for Ferrari but i thought they had already released their 2005 car isnt that what is in all those pics?
no that is the 2004m. it is the same car as last year with low downforce, and changes to meet the new rules.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

If what said about the gearbox is true then they might even start Aus GP with the 2004 engine (gearbox is an intergral part of the engine for Ferrari).
Old 02-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
mindgam3
Regular User

BAR were running an all carbon gearbox last year - the only team to do so and have an even better more developed one this year.

I don't see the gearbox being an advantage for ferrari, but the extra development may certainly well be
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
If what said about the gearbox is true then they might even start Aus GP with the 2004 engine (gearbox is an intergral part of the engine for Ferrari).
Yes, they will start with a detuned 2004 engine.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
Originally Posted by mindgam3
BAR were running an all carbon gearbox last year - the only team to do so and have an even better more developed one this year.

I don't see the gearbox being an advantage for ferrari, but the extra development may certainly well be
yeah but BAR's gearbox actually might get banned before the season even starts. supposedly there is no break of the power when shifting gears and well thats illegal. so i guess we'll see what happens in time.
well they've still got their all carbon 'box from last year if this years is illegal
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

I like this! This means that we'll be seeing some innovative gearboxes in future Ferrari road cars

Thanx for the news!