Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:33 AM   #31
Refefer
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
But I do have a problem with the car being sold and serviced by the shit Chevy dealers themselves - and GM's practice of not supporting the products they sell - or delivering service quality commensurate with the money spent.
No getting around that I suppose, it's not like GM can directly control all dealerships. I'm sure they're not telling chevy dealers to be assholes to their clients (although that doesn't change the fact that they might be)...

Hmm, actually I wonder how much being sold next to the cobalt or cavalier actually affects it? For example, most people who are going into a mercedes lot or a lexus lot are gonna be dropping a hell of a lot more money compared to people who go onto a chevy lot. Also, the lexus/merc dealerships get fewer customers compared to the chevy lot so they need to go the extra mile to make it worth the customer's time and money to buy there... and thus you get extra perks, like a free wash when you're servicing your car.

Chevy lots, however, expect that they're gonna sell a lotta shitty cars and so they don't employ salesmen who actually care about anything more than making a sale (such as company reputation). So, when someone goes to buy a vette, they dont' care as much, especially since (economically speaking) they don't take nearly as big of a blow if they don't close that sale compared to said lexus/merc.

Besides, at this point, the vette sells itself. You don't go into a chevy dealership and say to yourself, "Gee, I wonder what I can get for 50 thousand dollars?"
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #32
graywolf624
Regular User

Paul, if you really cared that much about service and wanted to own a gm.. You should be driving a saturn.

Ill buy you a base level saturn and you can give me the vette if that will satisfy your need for service.. Im prepared to make that sacrifice.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:13 PM   #33
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Paul, if you really cared that much about service and wanted to own a gm.. You should be driving a saturn.

Ill buy you a base level saturn and you can give me the vette if that will satisfy your need for service.. Im prepared to make that sacrifice.
No thanks - the 3/36 days are long gone, so it's all moot now...

But - even when I had to take the car for an extended warranty visit (zero deuctible bumper to bumper) I chose a GM dealer that I hadn't been to, and they still pretty much sucked - here was a freebie chance to make $800 for 30 minutes work - and they couldn't come up with any semblence of service - and even coldn't put 2 and 2 together whenI threw them a bone - full labour rate oninstalling some shocks and brakes, in an atttempt to try build a rapport with the dealer....

...they even fucking dropped the ball on that one...

So I do think it is entrenched in GM corporate AND GM dealers - it's just the way all the parties do business.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote