Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-25-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
Apac102
Regular User

Default S4 or STi

Im undecided
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:10 AM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

1) EVO 8 MR =P~
2) S4
3) STI
Old 08-25-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
vexor
Regular User

yeah I'll have to go with the S4, much better car than the STi IMO.

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:38 AM   #4
styla21
Regular User

S4 - you just can't beat the german.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:40 AM   #5
BADMIHAI
Regular User

If I could afford it, the S4 would be my choice. It's a lot more refined and nice than the STi. Let's not even talk about the vulgarity of the Subaru.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:59 AM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

S4 has so much class...And it looks great, too. The only bad thing about it is that the engine stretches to front of the ...well... front axle. But other than that and some reliability niggles, I say S4 is a better car in almost every aspect.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:23 AM   #7
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
which S4? the B5 S4 or the B6 S4?

either way, i think the S4 is a much more refined car than an STi and is in a different price segment. the STi does nothing aside from performance (which it does very well), but the S4 is a well built, upscale sports sedan.

so....S4. no question.
I think it is a personal choice which is dictated by your driving circumstances, your age, how much comfort and performance you want in a car, what you can afford...

Performance
Assuming you compare stock cars, the STi is certainly the quicker of the two and more neutral handling. A Stage II S4 is about equal to a stock STi from a speed standpoint.

But the performance of the STi comes pretty much on the higher end of the powerband. It doesnt have the low end torque and driveability of the S4. The comfortable ride makes the S4 a car you can drive like a maniac or like a gentleman. Either way it is happy.

Having done a 1900 mile journey from San Jose to Houston I can attest to the S4's ability to swallow up miles with ease and speed - I averaged 77 mph over the 25 hour journey. The seats are firm and superb - it cruises pretty silently at 95 mph. I have driven on many other long trips with hardly any aches after 10 hour drives

The Evo and Sti would be painful for long distances because a) They have a very small gas tank - too many pit stops b) they are noisy c) Stiff suspensions d) no cruise control at least in the Evo

Tunability
Both cars have myriad options for customisiing the looks, handling, performance. I think at least in US, there are more options for the S4 than say the Evo or Sti

Looks
I like the S4 the best but that is because I like discreet cars. Taking aside my obvious bias I think the STi looks nice - maybe if you put in WRC paint job it would look appropriate

The S4 is a stealth bomber as long you forgo the Nogaro, Imola or Red colors. I haven't yet tired of its looks yet after 3 years of ownership and am not likely to sell for at least 3 more.

I think age makes a difference also - if I were 8 years younger I might go for the Evo or STi but at my age they look like a boy racer kind of car. Too much attention getting if you know what I mean. But if you are not the shy retireing type go for it...

Costs
The S4 has been in the US/Canadian market the longest of the three - Evo/S4/Sti. So it is the most known from a overall cost standpoint. Problem areas include possibility of blown turbos which might go up if you chip the car. Otherwise it is a well built car and should last forever. Being German the servicing costs (after the 50K free service period) would be more expensive than the Sti

The Evo/Sti are frighteningly expensive to insure - you may want to check the insurance rates prior to any purchase as you are pretty young. I assume the labor and parts are cheaper for STi over S4.

Driving circumstances
Mountain roads - Evo
Mixed roads - Sti, S4
City/casual driving S4

Quality and Fit and Finish
S4. No question about it

Company stability
A big question mark against Mitsubishi. Subaru - I have no idea but they dont have many hits other than the Forester. Audi after its 80s debacle in the US has improved a lot and is certainly going to survive for a long time.

This factor is important if you are going to hold on to the car for many years - you want the company to be around and you want a decent supply of parts...

In conclusion, as an S4 owner if I were miraculously offered a free swap wherein I can trade in my 2001 S4 for a new Sti or Evo .. I woundn't do it.

Now if it was a 2001 M5 that will be a different situation

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:45 AM   #8
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Tunability
I hope Apac102 isn't considering such a thing.

How about a Saabaru?

never mind. Go for all mighty Quattro.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:46 AM   #9
SilviaEvo
Regular User

S4 is a good car but im not a big fan of the new ones i like Sameer's S4 those are nice but the STI is a beautiful car as well but i agree to what Sameer said personal choice based on lifestylish things. But i have never driven either of those cars i simply wouldnt know. Take Sameer's advice with the S4
Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 AM   #10
possessed_beaver
Regular User

STI

believe it or not the S4 is to boaring, and "safe"

sti is an out of control ADD child, well the S4 is a mature university graduate... that sometimes drinks on the weekend.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:19 AM   #11
initiala4
Regular User

Depends on what you want...comfy...sound... class...interior. Both are totally different cars...
initiala4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:49 AM   #12
SilviaEvo
Regular User

what about the M3? in the same reasonable price range. 45 Grand-55 Grand
Old 08-25-2004, 06:54 AM   #13
capore
Regular User

Mitsubishi Evo V . Forget the other ones .
capore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:52 AM   #14
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

If i had to own one of them, id prefer the audi S4 due to its built quality, its confort, the refinement...if i had just to ride the one of them, and once nearby(the basque country) is full of twisty roads( in fact i prefer driving in twisty roads regardless the weather, for instance it rains a lot here),id get the subaru due to its turbo engine, a non AWD 4 wheel drive system, and the lower weight of it as well
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:32 AM   #15
jon_s
Regular User

I have a thing for the 'S' Audi's. So that is where I would put my money. Personal choice though.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote