Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 10-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #61
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Eh. No matter. We won't have to bicker for a while since the LHC is deactivated till April for repairs.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #62
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
Eh. No matter. We won't have to bicker for a while since the LHC is deactivated till April for repairs.
I am of the belief the entire "project" is just a front for scientist to play with cool shit and get to spend millions in grant money

Think about it, this way they get more money and more play time hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #63
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Hahaha. Interesting idea. I'm a science geek, so I don't really believe that, but that would be hilarious. Perhaps the "malfunction" of the LHC and the "delay in testing" wasn't so accidental afterall? Bahaman vacations for everyone!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #64
nthfinity
Regular User

Hahaha. Interesting idea. I'm a science geek, so I don't really believe that, but that would be hilarious.
thats how it almost always is.... w/out a budget, all they have is theories. The grander the theory, the grander the project to test, and discover. Shit may roll downhill; but budgets are always an escalation

Still, their discoveries lead to new technology quite often.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #65
RC45
Regular User

Hahaha. Interesting idea. I'm a science geek, so I don't really believe that, but that would be hilarious. Perhaps the "malfunction" of the LHC and the "delay in testing" wasn't so accidental afterall? Bahaman vacations for everyone!
Think about it.

It is its own little economy... local builders, contractors, house sales, small and medium equipment sales, land sales, water provisioning, electrical contracting, urban renewal managment, grounds keeping, landscaping, catering, cleaning and waste disposal - hell I have not even started listing the actual scientific suppliers and players - those are just the local small business owners feeding off this cash cow hehe
Old 10-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #66
Spiffu
Regular User

It's their money to spend, and advancing the knowledge of the human race will always be a much more worth while cause than bailing out idiots who didn't know a hurricane was coming three days out.

Intimidation from the unknown is for the primates, I for one welcome welcome our subatomic overlords.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #67
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
It's their money to spend,
What money is "theirs" to spend? Grant money? That is not "theirs" but rather "ours" as grants are sourced from taxes collected.

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
and advancing the knowledge of the human race will always be a much more worth while cause than bailing out idiots who didn't know a hurricane was coming three days out.
This comment is pretty moronic and uncalled for. I would like to see how much of a supercilious loudmouth you still are when faced with a) having to leave your home behind or b) have no way to remove yourslef from the area.

And I am not only talking about people living on the water, but also the large scale broader impact a storm can have.

What is your problem all of a sudden? Seems like you are PMSing recently - get over yourself already.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #68
10000rpmlover
Regular User

helium in large quantities... hydrogen particles smashing onto each other...

I know they are smart and all but did any of them remember what E=MC2 does when applied to smashing particles?

is there an exact control of how many particles hit each other?

what are they doing with the neutrons that are multiplied after a hit?

no... I am sure they have thought about it, I am sure the similarities with the inner workings of a star are just coincidence... I am sure they did think about what a chain reaction could do in a machine that big... I am also pretty convinced they did read Einstein's work...

I mean not doing so, would be uncivilized

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #69
philip
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Lisa Randall from Harvard will be there to keep us safe.

She's my favorite Physicist right now. She will be hoping for some extra dimensions to show them selves. Maybe a brane or two.

Per the newspaper today, the problem was attributed to some bad soldering on one connection. Lisa probably had nothing to do with finding the problem, but I just wanted to see her photo again.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #70
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
Lisa probably had nothing to do with finding the problem, but I just wanted to see her photo again.
You think you can handle it?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #71
RC45
Regular User

You think you can handle it?
You think she has any nudies up on the net??