Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by dons5 View Post
360 spyder pics to a certain extent can get a little boring nowadays, yet when I saw one parked last night I was there for 10 minutes in awe admiring its shape from every angle and couldnt believe how exotic and new it still looks, it looks like a new car, the 360 came out in 1999! Thats a 10 year old body style!!!!!! There was a db9 beside it and a brand new jag xk, while the Aston is obviously beautiful, it doesnt compare to the 10 year old body of the 360 spyder, just so much more exoticness and sexy. Of course the DB9 is very beautiful, but I cant look at it for 10 mins from every angle without eventually getting "used to it", the 360 even as I was walking away after admiring it for 10 mins, I would turn around to look back at it and still couldnt hold in the smile/laugh, the shape stays exciting no matter how long you look at it for.
I'll have to disagree and agree. A new Ferrari is an occasion, but these new Ferraris just aren't doing anything for me. The 360 and the 550 and the 456 aren't touted as design icons, nor do I think that people think of them as memorable, but I like them a lot more than any of the new Ferraris. The point I'm trying to make is that Ferrari designs haven't been successful automatically because they were Ferraris, but because Pininfarina actually did design cars very carefully, with classic proportions. Not ostentatious or shouty, but proper. Now days, Ferraris look crass with unusual proportions and intriguing yet frankly unattractive adornments that seem to be more for novelty than anything else. I'm sure they're very functional too seeing how it's Ferrari.

It's interesting that you "get used to" a DB9. It's one of those cars that make me appreciate its design more and more as I stare at it. It's a GT done right. Everything looks effortlessly perfect. Classic example of how a luxury car should look. Strong stance, simple yet effective outline, with few detailed adornments. I think the same way about the 360. I think that's why it looks so good. The F430 look like a 360 with too much makeup on (which in a way, it is). The 612 is just bizarre, and the 599 is hideous. And California, in a way, reminds me of the Mondial cabrio.

Originally Posted by dons5 View Post
I remeber when looking at photos of the Enzo when new, wow I was like what in the hell is that shit. Have you ever seen it in real life??? lolol wow the thing is STUNNING x10000, Keonegsegs, Ascaris, Veyrons, Carrera GT, Merc SLR, Gumbert Apollo, SSC Ultimate Aero, etc etc. Nothing can compare to an Enzo when it comes to pure style and exoticness, except possibly a Zonda, but even that has all the big wings and wild over the top styling cues where the Enzo is just more pure. Oh ya, and it came out in 01 or 02, its 7 or 8 years old!

This routine happens all the time with every new Ferrari just get used to it.
I was really excited when the Enzo came out. I went to the LA auto show, went into the Ferrari booth and saw it, took a picture with it etc... Then I got to see it more times, and frankly, it's an ugly car. Interesting? Yes. Technically brilliant? Yes. Pretty? No. It's not remotely attractive in my eyes. The shape is really interesting. The cutlines are pretty elaborate. All the panels, I'm sure, are very functional. But everything's so wrong. The proportion's hideous. So much front overhang. The doors are massive and unwieldy. The surfaces are pretty flat and uninteresting by themselves. The car seems to have been designed purely on aerodynamic experimentation rather than any sense of aesthetics.

I'd say, for an identical car, the MC12 looks much better, if not overadorned. At least they bothered to stretch the rear end out to balance the front overhang. It's funny that you mentioned the Carrera GT, because I was just thinking this morning that Carrera GT is possibly the "prettiest" car out of the group. It's got everything right, yet because it hasn't got a visual gimmick, it's apparently the most forgettable.

BTW, the Zonda and the Koenigsegg's designs are much older than the Enzo. They're actually from the 90's.

No doubt the new Ferrari will be highly reviewed, and sought after. The real question is, do people buy new Ferraris because they are plain beautiful anymore?