Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Music And Noise

Music And Noise This is where to discuss you favourite Artists, Bands and own Music

Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Him: dark light and razorblade romance

I just got HIM's new album, Dark Light. Actually it arrived yesterday but i was only able to pick it up at lunch, only to discover my discman doesn't seem to like it

I'm only on track 5 of 12 (This is the limited edition internet presale version. regular version only has 10 tracks) but i can already tell it won't be leaving my CD player anytime soon. I'm probably going to burn a copy and keep that one in the car instead of the actual disc.

the limited editon came in a metal case, with a 32 page booklet wihch contains handwritten lyrics (which is useless because Ville's handwritting sucks :roll: ) and pics of fans HIM tattoos, a keychain flashlight which projects the Heartagram (again, useless but kind of cool) and a "signed" certificate of authenticity (mine being # 7,532 of 20,000)

This is their 5th album, and has a much different sound to it than the previous 4. Ville (vocals) said from the beginning they were going to go for a more atmospheric sound for this one, and by no means have they failed to deliver. I really can't help but smile despite each songs dark and sometimes cyptic lyrics (ie: Rip out the wings of a butterfly for your soul) just because of the fact that the music doesn't denote any depression, hopelessness, or kind of sadness that you would associate with the gothic label some people seem to apply to this band, despite the fact that their previous album, Love Metal, described perfectly the genre in which they seem to have created.

I was actually nervous that this album wouldn't live up to the hype that their small, but steadily growing, US fanbase was putting to it. But with the release, i believe it was early last month, of the first single/video, Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly, it soon quite apparent the album would not disappoint. And before anyone could start to argue differently, the second single, Behind the Crimson Door was put up on the band's website and further cemented what everyone had been thinking: Dark Light is going to be one of the best albums put out this year.

As soon as the first track, Vampire Heart, started with Burton's (keyboard) intro which sounded eerily like the opening theme from the 70's horror movie, The Omen; i was all ears.

I am really disappointed that the Voodoo Music Festival, which they were supposed to play, along with NIN and Billy Idol (whose song Rebel Yell was covered by HIM on the Join Me single) was moved to Memphis, TN after Katrina wiped out the park that the concert has been held at for past 5 years in New Orleans. I have seen them live once and even without the overdramatic lighting, pyros (except for one of the speakers catching fire halfway through their second song) and fog effects that alot of bands go for these days, it was probably one of the best shows i have been to. And not just because 85% of the attendees at the shows are female I was really looking forward to seeing them live again with my girlfriend who has yet to see them.

Tracks:
Vampire Heart
Rip Out the Wings of a Butterfly
Under the Rose
Killing Lonliness
Dark Light
Behind the Crimson Door
The Face of God
Drunk On Shadows
Play Dead
In the Night Side of Eden

(bonus tracks)
Venus (In Our Blood)
The Cage

Razorblade Romance

I decided to throw this review in too since it was just displaced by Dark Light in my cd player

For some damn reason the band decided to release 3 or 4 versions of this album,(which is actually a habit they seem to have) so it's hard to supply a track listing thanks to the fact that it's different on all of them I have 3 of them but i think there is a 4th out there that is extremely limited edition.

RR was HIM's 2nd album. Released in 2000, it quickly hit the top of the charts in Finland, the band's home. It was there that Bam Margera discovered them while in Finland for a skate competition. He started using their music on the CKY video soundtracks, the most notable bit being when he woke his brother up by punching him in the head while pretending to be playing the solo to Razorblade Kiss at the start of CKY2K.

My friend realized what song it was while randomly downloading music one day and then turned around and ordered 2 copies of the 2 disc version. 1 for himself and gave me the other copy as a graduation present in 2003 when i graduated from AAI. It would take a good 6 months for Razorblade to ever leave my cd player except to be transfered to my car, and even then the only reason it was displaced from rotation was because he had bought the rest of their cds and they were cycling through when he moved in.

This album is what cemented HIM in my top 3 favorite bands right next to Godsmack and Metallica. It is unlike anything i had/have ever heard and i highly doubt it could have been mixed any better. Even though all 3 versions i have, have different track lists, each version is at the same level; which i don't think any band has ever been able to accomplish up until now.

The thing that i think really shocked me was the vocal range that Ville has. On 2 songs (Gone with the Sin; I love you [Prelude to Tragedy]) he hits a low range reminiscint of Type O Negative's Peter Steele and on Your Sweet 666, is in the higher range. Again, not something rock bands are really doing these days.

Should this band really take off in the US (which i'm actually hoping they don't because i like the fact they aren't played on the radio here which means the 12 and 13 year olds can't request the fuck out of all their songs to the point where i get sick of them) i think RR is going to be their version of Metallica's Black Album, ie the one album EVERYONE has.

Overall, Dark Light and Razorblade Romance are going to be fighting for positon in my CD player. Neither one of them really has any songs that could have been left off and neither one holds the same sound throught the whole disc so there is no chance of getting bored with it 8)

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

Z, i have never heard of these groups, but i will check them out.
Oh and we have the same laptop :fadein:
Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21
Z, i have never heard of these groups, but i will check them out.
Oh and we have the same laptop :fadein:
Not alot of people outside Europe have heard of them yet. Just in the last 2 years have they started touring the US and those are usually pretty short.

This laptop can be a pain in the ass. Check out the power supply problem thread i posted in the computers section.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:44 AM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
The subject just caught my eye, for some strange reason I have only listened their new single on the radio and it sounds good. I had their first album Greatest Lovesongs Vol 666, but I have lost it somewhere. Though all their albums have been good, I have only listened them from the radio or some mp3. Maybe I should concider buying their album.

I have few Finnish pop songs for you with Ville Valo singing the songs of his idol, Rauli Badding Somerjoki
:shock: i've heard of those but never bothered lookng for them because i knew they were in finnish I may need to enlist your help in tracking down the X-mas re-release of Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights. Being there at the source i am sure there are a few free copies floating around finland

Old 09-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
The subject just caught my eye, for some strange reason I have only listened their new single on the radio and it sounds good. I had their first album Greatest Lovesongs Vol 666, but I have lost it somewhere. Though all their albums have been good, I have only listened them from the radio or some mp3. Maybe I should concider buying their album.

I have few Finnish pop songs for you with Ville Valo singing the songs of his idol, Rauli Badding Somerjoki
:shock: i've heard of those but never bothered lookng for them because i knew they were in finnish I may need to enlist your help in tracking down the X-mas re-release of Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights. Being there at the source i am sure there are a few free copies floating around finland
So they're going to re-release this Xmas? I can try and look if I find some.
No. Deep Shadows was the 3rd album. They put out a X-mas edition that year (2002 i believe) with a couple extra songs on it.

HIM, whats this comparable to??
i don't really think they are comparable to anyone. I know i don't have anything in my collection that sounds like them.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

[quote="mrmojo77"]

So they're going to re-release this Xmas? I can try and look if I find some.
No. Deep Shadows was the 3rd album. They put out a X-mas edition that year (2002 i believe) with a couple extra songs on it.

Ok, now I get. I just checked the Amazon and Deep Shadows was on sale there so I was wondering what's the problem in getting it. But you want X-mas edition. I'll keep my eyes open.
One of the extra tracks is You Are The One.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
ZfrkS62
Regular User

hmm...unfortunately i don't know what the extra tracks are other than that one

Old 09-29-2005, 12:37 AM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Thanks mrmojo, i've been trying to do my own search too. Target.com says they have one with bonus tracks but i'm not sure if that's it. yet again, there are 3 versions to this album as well the regular version, the digipak with the video for Pretending, and the x-mas rerelease.

This is the one thing about HIM that drives me nuts. I think the only album they didn't do this with was Greatest Love Songs

Love Metal has 2 versions, the second one containing the extra track, Love's Requiem.

so you can see where this can get irritating