Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #16
Vansquish
Regular User

hmm...odd...I thought the darker exhaust tips and and other bits (trim, grille etc..) were RS6+ equipment...I could definetely be wrong though, sorry if it's a mixup

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:19 PM   #17
chest3r
Regular User

A V10 ?!?! :shock: :shock: Holly sh*t!! Where this goes to ??? The M5 with a V10, the RS6 with a V10...... :shock: :shock:

600bhp it's almoust the same as the Carrera GT, the Enzo and SLR..... that's a lot of power :shock:
Old 11-18-2004, 09:33 PM   #18
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
from what i know, these HP numbers *are* close to accurate. It will be *around* 600hp if all goes as planned.

BUT, as you all know, plans may change...we'll have to wait and see. There may also be an S6 lined up which will compete better with the M5, since this RS6 may be out of the M5s league in power AND price.

i'll let you guys know if i find out anything
Dont worry AMG wil make some car to compete with the RS6 that will be so powerful it wont have gears 1-3 it will just start you in fourth. Sometimes i think maybe they should design the car so it can put the power down first, before they make the power.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:11 AM   #19
Schwalbe

Originally Posted by Just_me
Originally Posted by Schwalbe JG 44
Originally Posted by bmwmpower
but RS6 is car without fun, not drivers car like M5
only powerfull sedan or kombi
I would have a lot of fun to race an RS6 on the Nordschleife. Even Sabine Schmitz approves.

lol, the RS6 dont belong to Sabine, the rs6 belong to a swedish dude
I know. The combo RS6+Sabine was an associative joke. The heart of the subject is: The current Audi RS6 is a powerful and formidable car to push to the limit... and this opinion is shared by the large majority of german car's enthusiast. You have the right to think the opposite.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:33 AM   #20
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah

Dont worry AMG wil make some car to compete with the RS6 that will be so powerful it wont have gears 1-3 it will just start you in fourth. Sometimes i think maybe they should design the car so it can put the power down first, before they make the power.
LOL. interesting idea, man

well the E65 AMG is in the works...so maybe this RS6 is targetting this. These cars aren't produced in large quantities, so they're more for "technology use" purposes and namebrand image than anything else. These days, everyone wants to be performance associated...,..
I knew a E65 wasnt far away. Probably be the cheapest of the 65 cars, until they put it in the C or the SLK, and you know the germans are crazy enough to do it.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:17 AM   #21
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
thing is though, even if they do put that amount of power in, thats not why IMO, and most magazines opinion, the M5 is the better car. The current RS6 is just as quick if not quicker than the M5 in a straight line.... what they need to work on is the handling, steering, setup and weight, not more power.....
not true at all. the last RS6 smoked the M5 at the Ring and was renowned for it's ability to even keep pace with supercars.

you're generalising things that simply aren't true
the new M5 did 8:13, the RS6 8:20 round the ring and its well known that the M5 is the drivers car out of the quattroporte, M5, RS6 and E55 AMG....

I'm not generalising things, it's a mixture of fact, my opinion and top motor magazines.....

I'm not saying the RS6 is a bad car, i love it, but they need to work on the chassis more than producing more power......
we're talking about the RS6 vs the OLD M5. The previous RS6 was designed to compete against the previous M5....and in that duel...there was NO competition. The RS6 outperformed it in every category, including track runs

if you wanna compare the RS6 to the *new* M5, then that's a different comparison

just like if you wanna compare the *next* RS6 to this new M5, that would also be a new comparison.
why don't we just compare whats on the market now???

The E39 M5 was released in 1999, the RS6 in 02/03 and the new M5 this year, therefore the RS6 is more comparable with the E60 M5...

And as I said, theres no point just adding more power, they need to work on the chassis and handling more..... even if it is faster round tracks than the E60 M5, Audi's gonna have their work cut out to make it as responsive and as much as a driver's car as the M5....

Plus Audi will have to copmete with the M6 and M3 by the time the next generation RS's are released....
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #22
Just_me
Regular User

[quote="everso"]

i do agree with the user 'just_me' when he says this is a cycle....but i feel you deny giving credit where credit is due....the handling of the RS6 is superb......it was a better handling car on the track than the M5 which is being replaced.
well, M5 E39 came earlier than RS6, it took a few years for audi to develop their RS6 and to beat the M5 and they also need more power to manage it.
I also doubt the new RS6 will be much faster than M5, maybe one or 2 seconds faster but not more. Cutting time at Nurnburing is extremly difficult since both M5 and rs6 are very heavy and the lower the time is more difficult it is. But no deny, they are both good cars, E55 cant match them.

BTW, when is audi to build a car to keep up with M3 CSL at the ring, I guess they need a extra 60-70hp to beat the car.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:05 PM   #23
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by Just_me

BTW, when is audi to build a car to keep up with M3 CSL at the ring, I guess they need a extra 60-70hp to beat the car.
well, i must admit...the CSL is a phenomenon. Audi are *not* as efficient as BMW to build a car which is lightweight.....although they are now working on "all-aluminium" cars to try and bridge the gap.

the upcoming RS4 will be the best rival to the CSL, and like you say, they will use power to try and catch it. The RS4 will be 425hp...it will be quick. However quick it will be though, i'm not sure if it can keep up with the weight of the CSL.

That being said though...the CSL is a special edition car. Audi are also thinking of reviving an old name called "Club Sport" which would mean making track-ready cars. There are rumours that before the next TT comes out...there will be a "Club Sport" TT which will come out. 270hp and super lightweight and stripped down with reinforcements...let's see if this happens...if it does, don't be surprised if there is a Club Sport A5 to directly compete with the CSL.

the A5, by the way, is the production version of the Nuvolari concept which was shown in the past few years
yes I hope we see it too. Mercedes is too stupid to be able to build one

Bmw and Audi rule, mercedes suck
Old 11-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #24
Gnome
Regular User

The Audi vs BMW will never end.

I can agree that Audis are handling better than BMWs. It's all about the quatro. More grip => faster cornering (more of less). The problem is that driving pleasure doesn't come with speed, it's just a nice feeling when something is right. No, everso, I haven't driven a fast Audi, but I have heard about them. The RS6 feels a bit heavy, and if you don't know the right tricks it will understeer when you push it, and that sort of things makes a BMW easier to have fun with.

It's kind of like the advise on Golfs from a friend of mine. "If you want a fast Golf, don't get a new one. Sure it's fast, but it's so comfy that you don't feel the speed. Buy a mk 2 GTI 16v. Then you get worse performance, but you feel the performance you get!

As mentioned, I don't know what I'm talking about, but these are some of my interpretations of the tests I've seen and read.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #25
mv
Regular User

it's very far-fetched and the final specs might change significantly...btw this engine is according to fastnation.de intended rather for lambos, however, i reckon lambo will keep to NA engines and bore the V10 out instead of turbocharging
Old 11-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #26
blah
Regular User

why would lambo not turbo charge? They ve done so well with turbos in the past. Must i remind you of the Daiblo SVTT?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:06 PM   #27
davide
Regular User

Just make the RS6 good to look at and add some horsepowers not a whole stable to the car, than I'm a very happy man

Audi, love it
Old 11-21-2004, 02:06 PM   #28
mv
Regular User

just an assumption...as far as i know lamborghini prefers NA engines in case of regular models
Old 11-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #29
sentra_dude

for performance...yeah, MB is just not made for that reason. I've had so many arguments from Benzheads saying "they are! they are!" but come on...no manual transmission, waaaaaay too heavy, and too luxurious to really ever have performance ambitions. I don't care if they toss 800hp into an SL, it's still not gonna be able to roll with a well sorted 911....even though it will cost probably double. LOL.

that being said though, MB does make some very luxurious cars that are nice to drive. My father just took delivery of an E500 and it's absolutely beautiful....very classy indeed.

it's a nice car to drive TO the track...then you can jump in yer BMW or Audi

That's funny, I thought you were talking about Audis for a second there...

The lack of manual transmission...that's definitely an Audi trait...and so is the excessive weight.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 10:07 PM   #30
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by brembo
The RS6 should come with manual transmission if Im not wrong and I got a 6 speed manuel on my Audi......

but you are right Audi`s are to heavy these days as every car is, they only gets heavier and heavier......
Will the manual on the upcoming RS6 be a DSG deal, or a real three pedal manual? Its a shame they don't offer the current RS6 in manual, it would make it a much better car IMO.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote