Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-28-2003, 11:07 AM   #16
possessed_beaver
Regular User

the tempratures, have been hell hot over there latley, am i not correct?
thats fucked

so u are in the market for a r34 GTR?
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:07 AM   #17
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Default Re: not good

[quote="sportVeloce"]Over heating an alloy head cant be good. quote]

Isnt the whole engine aluminum?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 10:26 PM   #18
oic0
Regular User

Ever get it fixed? im not really used to tuning modern cars, normaly carburated engines, so bear with me. Have you pulled a plug to make sure your arent running lean and that they are gaped right? Is your timing right? is your cam belt or chain old and stretched? is the cooling fan running? These are things you can check after you know the water pump and the thermostat are alright.
oic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 01:21 AM   #19
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by oic0
Ever get it fixed? im not really used to tuning modern cars, normaly carburated engines, so bear with me. Have you pulled a plug to make sure your arent running lean and that they are gaped right? Is your timing right? is your cam belt or chain old and stretched? is the cooling fan running? These are things you can check after you know the water pump and the thermostat are alright.
That would require dismantling the back half of the car!
My guess is either a waterpump or a thermostat. Did you take it in yet Jabba? I'm curious to know what caused it.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:44 AM   #20
sportVeloce
Regular User

Default Re: not good

[quote="SFDMALEX"]
Originally Posted by sportVeloce
Over heating an alloy head cant be good. quote]
Isnt the whole engine aluminum?
I believe it is aluminum-alloy, which is an aluminum composite. The block and head are aluminum alloy. Hence my comment of pistons sticking. It is more likely that you will damage the head before cracking a bore in the block. Because it is aluminum alloy there is even more cause for concern than a motor that has a steel block, due to aluminum alloys intolerance for excessive heat.

Jabba -> Any update on the status of your baby?

Owning a Lancia is like being in love with a beautiful woman, who doesn’t care if you live or die
Old 09-02-2003, 12:32 PM   #21
dis3as3d
Regular User

Im by means no expert on ferrari repairs but heres what I think. Your probably either have shit built up in your raidator(s) constricting flow or your water pump died. If you have recently flushed your coolant it is possible for a pocket of air to get traped and get stuck in either the raidator or the water pump.

Excessive heat can be harmful if you blow a gasket or something like that. If you blew a gasket then you would be burning coolant, if there is coolant in the comustion chambers you should have white smoke comming out of your exhaust.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:57 PM   #22
scubywrxr
Regular User

Have you noticed a sweet sickly sweet smell wafting from your tailpipes? this could be a blown head gasket - is easily missed on a twelve cylinder car.. are there any pools of fluid under the car and at what spot? this could help u trace a potential leak in ur cooling system/radiators or the possible culprit (eg. fucked water pump).. a tired thermostat would be the cheapest repair. check it out.

cheers
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:02 PM   #23
Jabba
Regular User

Thanks for everyones suggestions....apparently the thermostat failing on these cars is extremely common...and I have a new one making its way to me as I type this.... all the way from Italy....it should be hear tommorow...and I will be attemting to fit it then if I have time...(maybe a live web broadcast on jabbas world would be a good idea)...especailly with so many experts around....if not I will try and get some pictures up of the operation in progress...
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #24
fedezyl
Regular User

Nice! yeah, a Live broadcast would be awesome!
please please please!

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #25
Jabba
Regular User

hmm I will see what I can do...as it is possible as I have a video sender that I can connect to my colour cam and connect to my capture card to make the broadcast...not sure if I would be happy broadcasting us fucking it up though LMAO....
Old 09-02-2003, 10:09 PM   #26
novass
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
hmm I will see what I can do...as it is possible as I have a video sender that I can connect to my colour cam and connect to my capture card to make the broadcast...not sure if I would be happy broadcasting us fucking it up though LMAO....
that would be great! i love working on cars as much as i like to drive them. ive never been able to get under the hood of anything Italian, that would be great to see. im sure you wont fuck it up, i wont say shit if you do cause ive fucked up many cars in my lifetime in attempts to "fix" them. it seems im better at breaking then i am at repairing. good luck, i bet the Diablo is getting lonely without some Jabba lovin LOL

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:51 AM   #27
jon_s
Regular User

Live Vid or not, good luck mate. It should not be too hard, and at least you know that no matter what you do, the car will still work lol. p.s as it is a common problem....ordering a spare might be an idea, saves you some time and effort in the future, just an idea.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:12 AM   #28
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
ordering a spare might be an idea, saves you some time and effort in the future, just an idea.
yes a very good idea...I have quite a few spares now for the Lambo...so defently a good idea to have an extra thermostat around....

Anyway its just arrived and here it is....so I guess were all set for tonight....

Old 09-03-2003, 03:19 PM   #29
Jabba
Regular User

Not good !!! it was not as easy as I was led to believe it was going to be....we managed to get the cover off....but couldnt identify where the thermostat was...although I am pretty sure its within that metal casing at the end of that large thick pipe in the middle...anyone got any thoughts on this...???

Old 09-04-2003, 06:01 AM   #30
sportVeloce
Regular User

Without a doubt in my mind its where the main radiator pipe goes into the head.

Look at the shape of the Gasket. It give it away totally. 4 bolts and your home.

Dont forget to seal your gasket. And definately dont forget to torque your bolts with a proper torque wrench. Its attached to an alluminium alloy composite that will have threads chewed quicker than a pack of gum.

Owning a Lancia is like being in love with a beautiful woman, who doesn’t care if you live or die