Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
AlienDB7
Regular User

Default BBC to allow program downloads

Thursday, September 1, 2005 Updated at 8:45 AM EDT

Associated Press

LONDON — The British Broadcasting Corp. is planning to let Web users download its television and radio programs up to a week after they have aired.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said he hoped the MyBBCPlayer service could be active by 2006.

Complete details weren't released, and Mr. Thompson did not say whether the BBC would charge users a fee for the downloads or how it would prevent piracy and circulation beyond the week.

The plan is part of the BBC's efforts to move beyond traditional forms of media.

"I accept the premise that if the BBC remains nothing more than a traditional TV and radio broadcaster then we probably won't deserve or get licence-fee funding beyond 2016," Mr. Thompson said at Edinburgh International Television Festival. "That is very definitely not our plan."
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
Anonymous

yeh seems they've renamed iMP, i've apllied for the trial but pretty sure i'm not on it as i have heard nothin more after the intial auto reply The first trial used microsoft DRM but the BBC were also working on their own codec last time i heard. Anyway i would expect it to be free for all UK license fee payers, there have been indications content may be sold to non UK people though. Whatever they do on the piracy issue expect it to be cracked
Old 09-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
Toronto
Regular User

wasn't this info posted b4? or maybe that was them saying that they would plan to do that.
either way I wounder what shows they will be allowing for download?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
jamberl
Regular User

Sounds a lot like what the internet has been providing for years