Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
kach22i
Regular User

Default Bad Day at the Waterford Track - DE

Bad Day at the Waterford Track - DE

Yesterday I decided to watch a Drivers Education day at the Waterford, MI track. I took my car out for the first time this year, been trying to save money but need to burn through the old gas.

Link to 100 photos:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...0Track%202009/

Never too old, not so sure, you will see why.

Before:

After:

The car came around the final turn to the finish/start line and lost it. I've seen many Ferrari's spin out towards the infield at the same spot. I was on the roof of the building looking at the car through my binoculars when I noticed the left front wheel was not in the same direction as the rest of the car, then a puff of white as it lost adhesion. The rear swung out, I think he over corrected and tried to power out of it. He should have just locked up the wheels and let it spin. The car tacked a straight line about 15 degrees off and 125 feet to the wall. The left front impacted the wall right under the tower (two guys in the tower must have been freaking), the rear swung around and also impacted the wall. The car came apart, wheels and tires everywhere, a cloud of smoke and a flash of fire from the engine bay as it slid for almost 200 feet.

The driver suffered a broken ankle, we all felt really bad for him and perhaps worse for his car.

See ya all September 22nd.
http://rsp.pca.org/RSRDE.html
Architect and Business Owner
kach22i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
kach22i
Regular User

The building is behind my car, the roof deck has a great view of the action.

My car was all clean, 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the black parts. I never want to see it crunched up like that.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
e46drew
Regular User

I feel bad for the car and owner, but thats the risk you take when you want to drive on the edge.

unfortunatly, no insurance coverage at the race track.
www.facebook.com/AndyIrelandAgency
e46drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by e46drew View Post
I feel bad for the car and owner, but thats the risk you take when you want to drive on the edge.

unfortunatly, no insurance coverage at the race track.
Apparently, some coverage is offered in drivers education with some companies.

Nice shots, George. Too bad for the broken ankle; and ultimately, the car is just metal. I'd much rather the car take the brunt, and the driver unharmed.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
loliea
Regular User

That sucks! But this is motorsport and as soon as you put a tire on the track driving at high speed bad things can happen. At least the owner was well protected in the car with the roll cage and there is no sign of damage on the driver's door.
I have seen worst at Infineon with one rolled mid 80's 911 () and a totaled brand new 350Z. Both drivers were ok.

BTW I love your targa , I was contemplating buying a gorgeous light blue 1985 targa 4 years ago, but chicken out after test driving it. I needed a strong reliable car to use everyday and the brakes of that car didn't inspire confidence (maybe I am too used to modern brakes...).

loliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
kach22i
Regular User

Originally Posted by loliea View Post
I needed a strong reliable car to use everyday and the brakes of that car didn't inspire confidence (maybe I am too used to modern brakes...).
They are not full power brakes (power assist), yet are one of the best things about the car (the shifting sure ain't). They say to change out the brake fluid every two years, maybe that was a factor too.

Some people use 1980's 911's as daily drivers, you have to stay on top of them and maintain them well - you will become a wrench.

My cousin's 1978 911 which she has owned since new has over 250,000 miles on it and is still running strong. Her son drives it now, I think the 550 Spyder tattoo on his neck is a bit much though.

Back on topic:
You can see a large crowd in front of the building in one of the photos. One of the track guru's was describing what the guy did wrong, and what to do if you find yourself in a similar situation. My friend said that he said to lock up the brakes and let it slide (and or spin). I believe momentum will carry you to the open grass of the infield and away from the wall.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
kach22i
Regular User

Copied......................from a post on Pelican Parts

Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I don't know who took these photos (or I would give credit), but here are some more shots. It's a shame to see something like this happen. I agree, Waterford Hills is stingy on runoff areas, but I don't think they would have prevented this from happening, considering the location.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Back on topic:
You can see a large crowd in front of the building in one of the photos. One of the track guru's was describing what the guy did wrong, and what to do if you find yourself in a similar situation. My friend said that he said to lock up the brakes and let it slide (and or spin). I believe momentum will carry you to the open grass of the infield and away from the wall.
Rule of thumb is "both feet in when in a spin".

In laymans terms, when shit goes south on you, jump on the brake and clutch and hold on for the ride.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

^x2

Driver is okay, that's the important thing, so he'll have 2nd try to do this right.