Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
fordgt84
Regular User

Default Next generation Dodge Viper set for Ferrari V10

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/242473/
didn't see that coming
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
10000rpmlover
Regular User

I am so glad they are not killing the viper, it is one of the greatest looking cars ever made, even if it's bent on killing you as you drive it

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
10000rpmlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
hemi_fan
Regular User

great car, I'm worried about a ferrari engine though because part of the viper alure is its rediculous displacement and ferrari are known to go small and high-revving.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
10000rpmlover
Regular User

Originally Posted by hemi_fan View Post
great car, I'm worried about a ferrari engine though because part of the viper alure is its rediculous displacement and ferrari are known to go small and high-revving.
it will just make a pre-ferrari viper be a lot more money when it comes to auction, which makes me

twin turbo, AWD, AWS, 6spd, drop dead gorgeous, what's not to like? mitsubishi should go back and make these again
Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
fordgt84
Regular User

in a perfect world they'd combine huge displacement with high revs, enabling the 8.4l V10 to produce something between 105hp and 110hp per litre...that's beetween 882hp or 924 hp.

that would probably mean bye bye to the pushrod system, and certain death as standard.

realistically speaking i think ferrari will tickle the engine a little for an extra 40 to 100hp, and probably include other stuff like direct fuel injection and magnetic dampers.
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
5vz-fe
Regular User

I hope it doesn't loose any reliability over horsepower
Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

I think its a project doomed to failure... unless it is a co-developed powerplant that ends up being build/serviced/repaired in the USA, the primary market for the car.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
10000rpmlover
Regular User

what you all don't see is this will be a viper that will run very good one day out of the month and then be on the rag the other 29 days, just like every bitch ass ferrari

Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Mattk
Regular User

I dislike the Viper. It looks horrible. But, it's an institution and it deserves to be around. If it means buying Ferrari engines, well, I think that's not perfect, but at least there is a future.

unless it is a co-developed powerplant that ends up being build/serviced/repaired in the USA, the primary market for the car
I would think Dodge would get the engines and then fix them up to suit the American environment and conditions? The Chevy LS V8 engine was used across the whole GM range and it worked fine. Admittedly, this is much different, but then, you'd perhaps expect more work.