Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
SkylineGTR34VspecII
Regular User

Default So who agrees with JC?

JC thinks that the paddle gear shifts are aweful. Im not so convinced this it true because I didn't hear Tiff complain one bit. In fact its one of his favorite cars. So what do you think is the truth?
SkylineGTR34VspecII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #2
SplitVision8

i dont take JC opinions to heart that much, he is sooooo ferrari biased and he is a clumbsy brit with those paddle shifters. he is a good tv host though. personally i would think that not having to hit the clutch drop the gas shift then hit gas is harder than pressing or pulling a shifter on the steering wheel
Old 09-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #3
draak666
Regular User

In fact, Tiff isn't in favor of paddle gear shifts on a roadcar either. I saw him say that on Top Gear some time ago while trying to suddenly get in reverse in a Ferrari because of oncoming traffic. He said paddle shifts are only usefull on the track and normal gearboxes are more usefull for daily driving. And I aggree with that.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

IMO it's also a personal feeling.. there are ppl loving the paddles, and others hating them... and sure on some cars the system is better than on others...

I never drove a car with a paddle shifter, so I'm not really up to the task of judging it, but I love the classic one, although I see the advantages of having both hands on the wheel constantly...
Old 09-03-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
stradale
Regular User

Even on the track Tiff wasn't completely satisfied with the F1 paddle shift of the Ferrari 360. Downshifts were fine, but to shift up he couldn't keep the throttle full open.

I think it could be fun, especially on the downshifts. On the track that is. On the road there doesn't seem too much need for gearboxes like that. I can imagine that performing a good shift in a manual Ferrari is tons more rewarding than just pulling a paddle.
stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:18 PM   #6
666fast
Regular User

I've never driven a car with them, so I can't say that I like them. I think I'd prefer a normal gear box though.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
skelter
Regular User

I like the paddles, it's so fast and you don't have to take your hands off the wheel, and no more mis-shifts.
skelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:37 PM   #8
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well there are advantages and disatvantages.

When I play my race sims I always use the H pattern shifter. I feel more in control over the car. I have the ability to shift down two gears at the time, so times that is really good when you want to pass someone on braking. You go from 6th to 4th to 2nd, where in paddle or sequential you go from 6th to 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd.

At some tracks you'll gain time with a sequential, on others you'll lose time with a sequntial.

It's all adds up.......
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:21 PM   #9
stracing
Regular User

if i was given paddels i think i'll go playstation mode and start crashing cars

for me i like all my cars to have the full shebang. sometimes i wish gt3 incorporated a clutch button into their game. but for racing i see how it gives you the edge to beat others.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
SL55 AMG
Regular User

As TT said its a personal opinion.....JC hates them, Tiff enjoys them

Yes Tiff does now how to drive too, JC on the other hand is just an entertaining host.

Me depends on the car. I'd go with Tiff i love the Italians Shift gate especially in a Ferrari. Why not have both one manual one semi.
SL55 AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 11:01 PM   #11
f0racer
Regular User

I agree, it comes down to personnel opinion/preference. Manual transmissions are more fun but “true” paddle gear shifters are quicker at changing gears. As for me, I’ll take manual for the road and paddle gear shifter for the track (F1 anyone?). Besides, I don’t mind have an Enzo Ferrari with a “true” paddle gear shifter.
f0racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:06 AM   #12
novass
Regular User

i got to drive a 360 with paddles, but only for about 20 minutes, so it was hard to really get a good feel for them. but yea, personal preference all the way, i love the conventional stick, probably too much to even give the paddles a fair chance.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:46 AM   #13
AlienDB7
Regular User

Actually, Tiff didn't exactly enjoy the paddle shift. I believe it's from the ferrari 360 review, he said he prefers manual because it's more fun bliping the throttle himself while downshifting.

If you look at rally drivers, not all of them use the ring for sequential shift. Some prefer to have the knob instead. It's all about personal preference.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 04:00 AM   #14
heath
Regular User

Bring on the H pattern for me! I've driven a car with a sequential gearbox recently and it drove me MAD!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't stand it! Give me a NORMAL gearbox anyday! The shift was slugish, slow and jerky! They're horrid!!
heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 04:22 AM   #15
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by AlienDB7
Actually, Tiff didn't exactly enjoy the paddle shift. I believe it's from the ferrari 360 review, he said he prefers manual because it's more fun bliping the throttle himself while downshifting.
Indeed correct...he actually describes the Ferrari he would buy... A 360, Manual and Red....

I used to have a porsche 993 tip-tronic and have driven a 355 F1 and I hated the buttons and paddles in both...also the 355 F1 owner said he wished he had got the manual instead....the 355 is all about the driving experience and why would you want to loose any of it to a semi automatic system....also a few people on JW that have driven 355's have all commented on how nice the "click" is of the gated gear shift in the 355...no one should miss out on this.... its great to hear and feel....

I am sure paddle systems are getting better all the time...and I would imagine the Enzo transmission system is totally awesome and a near F1 experience....now if only I can find out for myself....
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote