Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default School shooting in Finland

Fatal shooting at Finnish school
At least one person has been killed and three others injured in a shooting incident at a school in southern Finland, local media reports.

Police gave no details of the victims' injuries in the incident in the town of Tuusula, some 50km (30 miles) north of the capital Helsinki.

Finnish media reported that the shots had been fired by an 18-year-old man who is thought to be inside the school.

The building has now been surrounded by police and ambulances are on standby.

A Tuusula municipality spokesman said the gunman opened fire during a lesson, Finland's STT news agency said.

Students and staff fled in panic, and a number of heavily armed police were later seen rushing to the scene, STT said.

Some media reports suggested a message on the You Tube website was linked to the shooting.

The school reportedly has several hundred students.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

Only in Ameri..... oh, Finland.

Hope the injured survive; such an unfortunate thing
Old 11-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
blue8
Regular User

More details from BBC:
At least seven people have been killed and several others injured in a shooting at a school in southern Finland, medical officials say.

Police have given no details of the injured victims, hurt in the incident in the town of Tuusula, some 50km (30 miles) north of the capital Helsinki.

Finnish media reported that the shots had been fired by an 18-year-old man at the town's Jokela secondary school.

Police inspector Tero Haapala said later the situation was under control.

Mr Haapala said that "there is no danger to outsiders", without commenting on reports that police had arrested the gunman.

The school building is still surrounded by police and ambulances.

Dr Eero Hirvensalo, the head of the medical response team, told the Reuters news agency that seven or more people had been killed and that the death toll could rise.

'Jumped from windows'

A Tuusula municipality spokesman said the gunman opened fire during a lesson at Jokela secondary school, Finland's STT news agency said.

Students and staff fled in panic, and a number of heavily armed police were later seen rushing to the scene, STT reported.

Kim Kiuru, a Jokela teacher, said the head teacher announced over the school public announcement's system just before noon (1000 GMT) that all students should remain in their classrooms.

"I stayed in the corridor to listen to more instructions having locked my classroom door," Mr Kiuru told Finland's YLE radio.

"After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small calibre handgun in his hand through the doors toward me after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction."

Mr Kiuru said he saw a woman's body as he fled the building. He said he then told his students to "jump out of the windows... and all my pupils were saved".

Some media reports suggested a message on the YouTube website was linked to the shooting.

Jokela school has more than 400 students aged 12 to 18.

It is the first reported shooting incident at a Finnish school.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
frozzu
Regular User

Yes 5 boys, 2 girls and 1 woman have died. The shooter is in critical condition in the hospital after shooting himself in the head. He used .22 caliber pistol. That is one sick guy!
frozzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
Zot09
Regular User

Sad sad news I hope all the victims rest in peace, and my condolences go out to the families and friends.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
philip
Regular User

My condolences to the friends and family.

It is truly unfortunate that crazy people feel they must make others unhappy as some sort revenge for their sorry lives.

Again where were the parents?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 AM   #7
Pokiou
Regular User

what an idiot...
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:04 AM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

To be honest, I really wish the shooter is alive so that he can suffer life in prison.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
-Akshay-
Regular User

RIP
man dude had some messed-up mind.

http://retecool.com/uploads/mirrordir/Sturmgeist89.htm
Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
silentm
Regular User

well i frequently play CoutnerStrike but until now i haven't met any weird people... a lot of kiddies though (like 12 or 14 y/o or so) but that's about it

my condolescences to the families, and may the victims RIP
"Some say that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring, and that if you give him a really important job to do, he'll skive off and play croquet... all we know is, he's called the Stig."

The Top Gear Wikiquote
silentm is offline   Reply With Quote