Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
rave426
Regular User

^^^well dont dog it too bad yet. A $35K car that can hit 0-60 in under 5 secs is still and very impressive and pretty damn fun. Although it may not have the raw torque of the new cars for acceleration, it can still out handle some of the best the world has too offer.

Heck the 335I has a twin-turbo I6 producing (on paper) 300hp and 300 torque and nobody is calling it a failure. The good ole evo' is doning with a gut wrenching single turbo 4-banger, that (from various sources) with only being dyno tuned can produce near 400hp.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #17
EvolutioniuM
Regular User

^see the problem is it used to target the M3 not 335is, now its more of a Japaneses 335is, I'm sure it would be fun and good value for money but it used to be something much more than that before, it used to perform like a semi-exotic car in a 4 doors saloon fat suit!!

another thing is its more luxurious and comfy than before, thats not evolution-ish; The Evo series used to be more like a for doors lotus elise as it was tracked focused, careless about day to day usage requirements
EvolutioniuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Originally Posted by EvolutioniuM
^see the problem is it used to target the M3 not 335is, now its more of a Japaneses 335is, I'm sure it would be fun and good value for money but it used to be something much more than that before, it used to perform like a semi-exotic car in a 4 doors saloon fat suit!!
wrong.

the evo did not target anything, with the exception of the subaru impreza STi. These are both rally homologation cars, and began their existance for that sole purpose. the only reason they are compared to the m3, skyline, and such is that the performance in corners and in a straight line could compete. to say that the evo is watered down is an ignorant statement, because, in reality, there is only so much you can do to improve the power of a 2 liter 4 banger and keep it at that price point, and keep it reliable. sure, there was the FQ-360, the FQ-400, and they were both under warranty, but note the price difference (especially of the 400) as compared to the standard evo. if you want m3/skyline beating straightline performance, you will just have to wait for the higher performance variations of the car to come out. if anything, this car is more potent than the last base evo, considering its power increase, as well as the new 4 wheel drive system.

think before you speak.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #19
EvolutioniuM
Regular User

^you think producing 400BHP from 2 liters is magic?? I've seen 10 seconds 600+ AWHP Evos rolling in front of my eyes; that 4G63 engine proved it self to be bullet proof

Over here, Evos got their reputation by killing American V8 cars; they're agile, so light (my friend's Evo MR RS2 weights just 1290KG) and so tunable, thats why they are the pure enthusiast's cars, as no racer-wannabe owns an Evo

On the other hand, this car got its mixture wrong, its heavier than previous evos as its more mature and more daily-user-friendly as Mitsu claims, it also lacks the power which would let it compete with other up-coming sportscars; you wont be able to hunt down new generations of american muscles with 320BHP and 300KG more weight, samething goes with other sports cars it was competing with, this car cant even compete with its previous models!!!!

The new engine raises questions marks too, the 4G36 has been used in every evo model 'til now, one of the major advantages of the 4G63 is its block is made of cast iron, which makes it bullet proof even at 30+ PSI of boost (900+AWHP), meanwhile the new engine is a developed and turbocharged edition of the new lancer ralliart all aluminum engine

I was an Evo-fan since I was introduced to the motoring scene; my nickname say it all, but I dont think that I'll still be an Evo-fan after the launch of Evo X
EvolutioniuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #20
vexor
Regular User

^you think producing 400BHP from 2 liters is magic?? I've seen 10 seconds 600+ AWHP Evos rolling in front of my eyes; that 4G63 engine proved it self to be bullet proof
yes and we all know how reliable a 600hp 2L engine is... let alone a 400hp

On the other hand, this car got its mixture wrong, its heavier than previous evos as its more mature and more daily-user-friendly as Mitsu claims, it also lacks the power which would let it compete with other up-coming sportscars; you wont be able to hunt down new generations of american muscles with 320BHP and 300KG more weight, samething goes with other sports cars it was competing with, this car cant even compete with its previous models!!!!
This is just the first model of the Evo, i'm sure in the upcoming months or year Mitsu will bump up the power a bit more.

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:45 AM   #21
5vz-fe
Regular User

Over here, Evos got their reputation by killing American V8 cars; they're agile, so light (my friend's Evo MR RS2 weights just 1290KG) and so tunable, thats why they are the pure enthusiast's cars, as no racer-wannabe owns an Evo

The new engine raises questions marks too, the 4G36 has been used in every evo model 'til now, one of the major advantages of the 4G63 is its block is made of cast iron, which makes it bullet proof even at 30+ PSI of boost (900+AWHP), meanwhile the new engine is a developed and turbocharged edition of the new lancer ralliart all aluminum engine

I was an Evo-fan since I was introduced to the motoring scene; my nickname say it all, but I dont think that I'll still be an Evo-fan after the launch of Evo X
Let's be realistic, 2L 600hp regardless of the engine, will not be reliable. The block itself maybe bulletproof, but the bottom end, valvetrain....pipings, transmission..... all are not.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:08 AM   #22
dingo
Regular User

600hp usually means you have a built engine, not much is left from the stock 2L...and often its stroked (2.3L in the Evos case).

My mate had a 03 WRX with ~700hp (got stolen 2 months, never seen again) and that was used as a daily driver. Cosworth built engine that needed major overhaul every 10,000kms.

So it can be reliable but its gonna cost you alot to do that.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:31 AM   #23
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
600hp usually means you have a built engine, not much is left from the stock 2L...and often its stroked (2.3L in the Evos case).

My mate had a 03 WRX with ~700hp (got stolen 2 months, never seen again) and that was used as a daily driver. Cosworth built engine that needed major overhaul every 10,000kms.

So it can be reliable but its gonna cost you alot to do that.
EXACTLY

and this is the BASE evo. BASE evo. BASE. as in standard, no options, starting point for evos like the FQ 400. thus, the price will be kept down. hence the power will be kept down. this is due to keeping the car reliable at a certain price point. i KNOW there are 600, 700 hp evos running around, but they have either had ridiculous amounts of money poured into them or theyre very unreliable. sure, the block is indestructable, but what about everything else? and i am perfectly sure, for the price point, you will not be able to find anything faster.