Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #196
Toronto
Regular User

I get my tickets a year in advance, same spots, and you save money
Old 06-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #197
dannyroz
Regular User

i know im goin this year...SWEET. Right at the last chicane onto the main straight
Old 06-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #198
|Nuno|
Regular User

Sauber hopes to complete BMW deal soon

The Swiss Sauber Formula 1 team is hoping to race with BMW engines next season. Team boss Peter Sauber admitted he is close to signing a deal with the German engine manufacturer but a final contract has not been signed yet.

"We hope to close an agreement with BMW soon," admitted Peter Sauber in the Italian magazine Autosprint. "At this moment we have not signed an agreement yet unfortunately."

The Sauber team currently runs on Ferrari engines but their contract with the Italians won't be renewed at the end of the season. A deal with BMW is expected to be announced around the end of the month.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=88670
Old 06-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #199
5vz-fe
Regular User

Ferrari is finally paying the price for selling their engines at a high price to Sauber
Old 06-09-2005, 12:48 PM   #200
|Nuno|
Regular User

Williams hits out at BMW

Frank Williams has hit out at engine supplier BMW claiming the once rosey relationship he enjoyed with the German car manufacturer has turned into the most hostile he has experienced in 30 years of Formula One.

"Our partnerships in the past with Renault and Honda have been more successful and cooperative," Williams told this week's Autosport magazine. "You never had this constant finger-pointing."

"We don't constantly ask why BMW had some 150 engine failures in 2000 alone," he added.

BMW is all set to announce a deal with Sauber for 2006.

===============================================

Webber slams Safety Car

Mark Webber has issued an urgent 'hurry-up' to F1's Safety Car. Williams' Australian driver, a director of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, called the slow speed of the silver Mercedes 'massively concerning.'

"We lose so much tyre pressure in the tyres that it's dangerous," he told ITV.

A slow moving Safety Car was ultimately blamed for Ayrton Senna's fatal 1994 shunt into the flat out Tamburello barrier.

More than a decade on, Webber reckoned world champion Michael Schumacher's recent (Barcelona) tyre failures were caused by the same phenomenon.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #201
jenkF1
Regular User

Webbers got a point there.

People think that the safety car had a major impact in the Legend Ayrton Senna 's death cus of the low tyre pressure/low rideheight combo caused the car to bottom out.

But what else can you do? That Mercedes looks slow on TV but tis still going bloody fast innit?

"..its time for diesel lovers to go make the tea"
jenkF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #202
zondaland
Regular User

You could force them all to engage their speed limiters in the zone of a crash site, then let the leader set the pace around the rest of the track, obviously you would need some sort of radio signal to be sent from the cars to race control whenever the pit lane speed limiter was engaged, but I'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult to arrange.
zondaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #203
gucom
Regular User

yes it's a fast driving car, but if they put in an SLR or something like that, with a racign driver behind the wheel, it could go alot faster, which would be good for the F1 drivers...but then again safety car is out there to prevent them from just racing on flat-out...
Old 06-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #204
|Nuno|
Regular User

Pedro seeks 2006 ride

Pedro de la Rosa would like to step back onto the F1 grid, permanently. But the Spaniard, who raced spectacularly in Juan Pablo Montoya's injured boots at Bahrain, admits that a full time seat is rather improbable.

"I'm pretty realistic," he told Spain's 'Marca' newspaper at the Montreal track, where he'll fulfil McLaren's 'Friday' and reserve post. "I know how difficult it will be to get a place in 2006. If it happens, I'll look back on Bahrain and remember that race as very helpful."

So what about Canada's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve? Pedro, who has driven for Arrows and Jaguar, reckons the best car in Montreal will be the one with the best traction. "So Renault will be strong," he told the daily.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #205
zondaland
Regular User

BMW - Sauber saga continues

F1 live reports the following

Reports, yet to be confirmed coming in from BBC Radio Five, suggest that BMW has now agreed terms to purchase the Swiss-based Sauber team for a rumoured $270m.

Neither BMW nor Sauber have yet to make any official announcement on any deal, stating that the two parties are in talks regarding a straight engine supply deal for 2006.

While details are sketchy until confirmation is made, the relationship between BMW and WilliamsF1 has been especially strained in recent months with Frank Williams going on record this week saying that he is unconcerned over engine supply as he has a deal with BMW for 2006 and even if that was to change for any reason, there are alternative options for the team.

Hopefully details of any such deal will be made public shortly.
zondaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #206
|Nuno|
Regular User

Wurz and Jordan

Alexander Wurz is set to race back onto the F1 grid next year. The McLaren tester, who drove 53 grands prix for Benetton until 2000, may be the showpiece of a $9m Mercedes Benz V8 engine deal for Jordan-Midland, a report revealed.

Currently Toyota powered Jordan remains, however, in negotiations with both Japanese and German carmakers.

31-year-old Wurz's latest three year contract at Mercedes' part owned team McLaren ends in November 2005. "I am not aware of any discussions," Alex told a Salzburg (Austria) newspaper, "or of the plans of McLaren."

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=89418
Old 06-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #207
|Nuno|
Regular User

Rumours around Raikkonen and Ferrari

Rumour has it that Kimi Raikkonen's management sat down for a chat with Jean Todt in Montreal. McLaren's Finnish driver, winner of three grands prix so far this year, is high on the Maranello based team's wish list for 2007 and beyond.

"I'm not going to comment about that," Frenchman Todt, Ferrari team principal, insisted. Drivers are not the priority today, winning is. Saying that, I was happy for Kimi (in Canada), he's a good guy, although I'd prefer Michael to win."

Further probed about the inevitable post-Schumacher era, though, Todt said he 'wouldn't tell even if I had signed all the contracts.'

He also insisted that Raikkonen is not the only young star on the grand prix grid. "I see that (Felipe) Massa finished a brilliant fourth but nobody wants to write a word. People say my son runs his career and that's why he's here."
__________________________________________________ _____________

Ferrari may race new engine

Ferrari may unveil a new-specification V10 engine at Indy. Technical director Ross Brawn admitted that the Maranello based team is 'still to decide.'

If the innovation is deemed not ready for the second of the North American double header, it'll appear in Britain. Brawn told Autosport: "What we need is more performance."
Old 06-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #208
Max Power

a little bit picky there? he's just saying its tough, and plus he's too full of himself to hint at losing the championship
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:33 PM   #209
|Nuno|
Regular User

Jordan EJ15B

Old 06-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #210
5vz-fe
Regular User

Alonso and his big words....I find that younger F1 drivers who have tasted sucess are often more cocky and overly confident (just like young schumi).

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_20066.shtml

Alonso: 'Schumi can't win this year's title'
Monday June 27 2005

Fernando Alonso has ruled out a Michael Schumacher victory in this year's Championship despite the German closing the gap in the standings at Indy.

Schumacher bagged the maximum ten points after winning the six-car race that none of the Michelin runners raced in. The Ferrari is now up to 34 points, 25 less than Alonso.

However, that doesn't mean Schumacher's in the running to retain the World title.

"He's back because he scored 10 points at Indianapolis and eight in Canada," Alonso told the BBC.

"But we know we were more competitive than Ferrari at Indy and in front of him in Canada when we retired."

"Fisi, Montoya and me all retired in Canada and we did a big favour to the others," he added.

The 23-year-old Spaniard is also confident that he can hold off any challenge second-placed Kimi Raikkonen poses although he does admit that "the McLarens are a bit quicker than us and we have to develop the car."

"We only did half of the season and the most important race is the final one, but the car is performing very well. We have the chance and we have a good gap.