Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 07-06-2004, 11:43 AM   #31
v0od0o
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
I'd be amazed if someone would miss this one after it has been beamed up to planet Lamborghini...
yeah but I wouldn't like to do that to the thread author, out of respect.
Jabba can we copy threads ?
v0od0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:46 AM   #32
Jabba
Regular User

A bit messy.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:46 AM   #33
v0od0o
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
this would have made a good quiz...how many Lamborghins were connected with actual bulls.
Exactly what I was thinking of, maybe we can think of something to the same tune, quizes about car names instead of the usual identify the picture thing
Old 07-06-2004, 02:15 PM   #34
T-Bird
Regular User

I thought Murcielago meant "bat"
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #35
Jabba
Regular User

It does in Spanish but its also the name of a legendary Italian fighting bull.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:21 PM   #36
v0od0o
Regular User

hmmm are you sure ? Altavista refuses to translate murcielago and gives the spanish word "palo" for a bat :roll:
Old 07-06-2004, 02:29 PM   #37
Jabba
Regular User

The name translates as “bat” in Spanish, and it’s pronounced “mercy-AY-lah-go.” Unless you’re Castillian, that is, where you add a lisp, and it becomes “mirthy-AY-lah-go.” And indeed, the new two-seater actually honors the bull of that name which 122 years ago defied the best matador of Barcelona, surviving a score of sword strikes and living to a ripe old age making other brave bulls. Either interpretation is appropriate. A raging bull is the symbol of the Lamborghini brand, but the Murcielago moves like a bat out of hell.

Taken from here :

http://www.bullz-eye.com/carreviews/...amborghini.htm

I get the feeling we have been through all this before.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #38
dropot2
Regular User

Originally Posted by v0od0o
hmmm are you sure ? Altavista refuses to translate murcielago and gives the spanish word "palo" for a bat :roll:
Well, perhaps I can help you in this translation as Spanish is my second language. I confirm that in Spanish, as Jabba has said, "bat" is "murcielago".
"Palo" in spanish means "stick".
________
Ford l-series trucks history

Last edited by dropot2; 02-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.
dropot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:48 PM   #39
heyloo
Regular User

"lol how this a post about ferrari turn into a post about lamborghini so fast???"

I thought the same thing!! I was just about to 'wow' at the new name, and as I scrolled down, I sensed the change of topic to Lambos...lol
heyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 04:31 AM   #40
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by dropot2
Originally Posted by v0od0o
Well, perhaps I can help you in this translation as Spanish is my second language. I confirm that in Spanish, as Jabba has said, "bat" is "murcielago".
"Palo" in spanish means "stick".
Thanks for the confirmation...much appreciated. 8) 8) 8)
Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 AM   #41
dropot2
Regular User

Happy to be useful (I don't think so, but if you need some translation in Catalan I could help you...but I don't believe it'll be needed. I think that dani_d_mas and me are the only rare people who speak this language! LOL)
________
FORD VULCAN ENGINE HISTORY

Last edited by dropot2; 02-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.
dropot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:05 AM   #42
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
^^^ Lamborghini has used names of famous fighting bulls or the names of their races far more than once.
The Miura, for instance, is named after Don Eduardo Miura, who was a famous breeder.
Diablo might also mean devil, but "the name 'Diablo' was in fact taken from a ferocious bull raised by the Duke of Veragua in the 19th century. It fought an epic battle with 'El Chicorro' in Madrid on July 11th 1869, this animal became legendary and its well-known history and its name were aggressive enough to be used for a Lamborghini." (quote from http://www.lambocars.com)
I have been searching for the explanation of the names Islero, Marzal, Espada, Jarama (obviously also the name of a Spanish track) and Urraco, but I lent the book in which it's probably all explained to my father at the moment. My other books on Lamborghini don't give much information.

EDIT: Jabba, Murciélago is also the name of a famous and courageous bull. It impressed everyone so much that it was left alive after the fight instead of the usual putting to death.
Islero

In today’s bull ring, as with gladiators in the ancient Roman Colosseum, the bull has at least a tiny chance to win, survive and live to a very happy old age.

Think back to how the great bullfighter Manolete (Manuel Rodriquez Sanchez) was gored and killed by the bull Islero on August 28, 1947. Islero’s victory and fame – his name yet remembered more than half a century later in the Hispanic world – earned him a life at stud to produce more of Andalusia’s (named for the Vandals who settled southern Spain) fierce Miura bulls.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...le.asp?ID=6700

Jamara

A new 2+2 took the stand at Geneva in 1970, it was the first Jarama (pronounced Yarama). Named after the Spanish district well known for breeding famous fighting bulls, this car was intended to remind the world that Lamborghini was still present, strong, and fighting like mad in a bullish sort of way.

http://www.blaise27.demon.co.uk/lamb...ily/jarama.htm

Espada

The new car, the Espada, named after the sword used by the matador in the famous sport of bull fighting, debuted next to the Islero. Unfortunately for the Islero, the Espada stole the show. It was a bold statement for Lamborghini to enter an untapped market. It was risky at best but that risk paid off. The low-slung four passenger sports car was a great success. It still holds the record of being the most highly produced Lamborghini ever.

http://www.blaise27.demon.co.uk/lamb...ily/espada.htm

Urraco

The Lamborghini P250 Urraco (pronounced "oo-RAH-koh"), meaning "little bull," was named for the fighting bull which killed the toreadore Manolete. This car was introduced to the public in 1970 at the Turin auto show, though it wouldn't become available to the public until 1973.

http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/Urraco/

:silly:
LotusGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 06:07 AM   #43
Jabba
Regular User

Thats interesting information indeed. Any more information on "countach" LotusGT1 ?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #44
adlinyusman
Regular User

A ferrari thread where we only talked about ferrari for no more then 3 posts.
lol.

besides it's called the 430 Monza.

the fiorano tag is reserved for sports packages offered by the carrozerria. The 575 replacement, which will source it's engine from the 612 Scaglietti powerplant will be known tentatively as the 600 Mugello. My dealer told me this, so i could be wrong, but i have heard a few other dealers mention the same thing.

adlinyusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:28 PM   #45
bmagni
Regular User

Gallardo, is the second name of a bull breeder
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote