Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 07-06-2004, 11:07 AM   #16
v0od0o
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Mirua is a breed of spanish fighting bulls.
Thanx, been looking around for the meaning since I posted this actually
v0od0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #17
Jabba
Regular User

Wait until the Lamborghini hunter arrives...I am sure he will be able to provide us with pictures of the actual bulls the cars were named after...LOL.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #18
Jabba
Regular User

Ferruccio Lamborghini - born under the zodiac sign of Taurus - when he founded the famous super car company, that since then bears his name, gave to it the symbol of the fighting bull. Later, when the Miura was introduced, he named the car after a famous bull's race, and this practice became a tradition for the House of the Bull. Honouring this tradition, the Management of Automobili Lamborghini have decided to baptize their latest model with the name of a fighting bull's breed: the Gallardo (pron.: ga:yÃ*rdo). Most people probably are not aware that the origins of the fighting bull proceed from five main breeds, that is: Cabrera, Navarra, Vasqueña, Vistahermosa and Gallardo. Today, ninety percent of the fighting bull breeds proceed from Vistahermosa branch, with some exceptions, such as the Miura race - that comes from the Navarro - which is today the only breeding stock that maintains a pure origin. Another exception is the breeding race of "Partido de Resina" - that was called once of "Pablo Romero"-, that comes from the Gallardo race. Historically, these bulls have enjoyed a well-deserved fame of being the most beautiful specimen within the race.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 AM   #19
v0od0o
Regular User

hehehe, he's a taurus, like me
Now I know why I like lamborghinis
Thanx jabba for the info, pretty interesting
Old 07-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #20
tigerx
Regular User

lol how this a post about ferrari turn into a post about lamborghini so fast???
Old 07-06-2004, 11:18 AM   #21
Jabba
Regular User

Yep for me as well...I knew some of it but this is very interesting for anyone that thought Martin Brundle had a lisp in his DVD "Brundles Supercars".

Murcielago : The name translates as “bat†in Spanish, and it’s pronounced “mercy-AY-lah-go.†Unless you’re Castillian, that is, where you add a lisp, and it becomes “mirthy-AY-lah-go.â€
Old 07-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #22
stradale
Regular User

^^^ Lamborghini has used names of famous fighting bulls or the names of their races far more than once.
The Miura, for instance, is named after Don Eduardo Miura, who was a famous breeder.
Diablo might also mean devil, but "the name 'Diablo' was in fact taken from a ferocious bull raised by the Duke of Veragua in the 19th century. It fought an epic battle with 'El Chicorro' in Madrid on July 11th 1869, this animal became legendary and its well-known history and its name were aggressive enough to be used for a Lamborghini." (quote from http://www.lambocars.com)
I have been searching for the explanation of the names Islero, Marzal, Espada, Jarama (obviously also the name of a Spanish track) and Urraco, but I lent the book in which it's probably all explained to my father at the moment. My other books on Lamborghini don't give much information.

EDIT: Jabba, Murciélago is also the name of a famous and courageous bull. It impressed everyone so much that it was left alive after the fight instead of the usual putting to death.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:23 AM   #23
Jabba
Regular User

I am sure the Countach is connected to a bull as well but I am still looking for confirmation.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #24
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
EDIT: Jabba, Murciélago is also the name of a famous and courageous bull. It impressed everyone so much that it was left alive after the fight instead of the usual putting to death.
Yep I knew that but not that Brundle was correct in pronouncing the name with a lisp.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #25
stradale
Regular User

I am sure the Countach is connected to a bull as well but I am still looking for confirmation.
Countach is not linked to bulls in any way. It's Italian slang from the dialect of the Modena region. It's an outcry of amazement and can be used for things of beauty as well as for things that are overpowering. For instance, when a beautiful woman walks by, the men would exclaim: "countach!"

Legend has it that when the body of the Countach protoype rolled out of the painting area in bright yellow one of the employees said: "countach!" and thus the name was born. Whether it is true, no one knows, but it's a great story and still sounds very credible...
Old 07-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #26
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
Yep I knew that but not that Brundle was correct in pronouncing the name with a lisp.
Oh, OK. Never mind then...
Old 07-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #27
v0od0o
Regular User

now all we need is to rename the thread
Old 07-06-2004, 11:34 AM   #28
Jabba
Regular User

Glad I didnt stick my neck out too far about the countach....this would have made a good quiz...how many Lamborghins were connected with actual bulls.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:35 AM   #29
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by v0od0o
now all we need is to rename the thread
And move it to planet Lamborghini.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #30
stradale
Regular User

LOL, sounds good. There are already too many threads on the Ferrari 360 successor. I'd be amazed if someone would miss this one after it has been beamed up to planet Lamborghini...