Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-18-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
CMonakar
Regular User

Default Is the AMD 64-bit series premature?

I just bought an AMD 64-bit 3200. It's a great chip, but I'm struggling to utilize the extra 32-bits. Even aps such as adobe photoshop are not available in 64 bit yet. I have been told MS has a version of XP, rather than Server, that runs on 64, but I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Regardless, it's certainly faster than my 1.4 even when running 32-bit aps. I have 512ddr, and an ATI 9700 pro video card. I can run doom III without a problem on the new chip, whereas it would bog down periodically with the 1.4.
CMonakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #2
Maverick7K
Regular User

You bought the right chip. I think that AMD is the way to go for any gaming setup and technology will move to 64-bit code sometime in the future. Whats good about that chip is it will run both 32 and 64 bit code. So you my friend are set.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.asp

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
-George Carlin
Maverick7K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
CMonakar
Regular User

Thanks for the link.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
AlienDB7
Regular User

Consider the price difference between athlon 64 and athlon xp is minimal (for 3200+ at least), there's no reason not to get it beside the slightly more expensive mobos. Too bad they don't have any low end athlon64's, I would be all over it by now
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:25 AM   #5
crazidude
Regular User

The A64 3000+ is reasonible priced kinda.. but I thought MS delayed the xp-64 and they may favour whatever Intel has instead, therefore making the A64 some what useless.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
scubywrxr
Regular User

I think that towards the 3rd quarter u will reap the rewards of having 64 bit when more apps become avail and are optimised to make the most of the new chipset
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
scubywrxr
Regular User

I think that towards the 3rd quarter u will reap the rewards of having 64 bit when more apps become avail and are optimised to make the most of the new chipset
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
crazidude
Regular User

Originally Posted by scubywrxr
That is true, but I don't think a lot of companies are gonna jump into the 64-bit bandwagon so early. Also, by that time Intel would have their 64-bit processor out to see which processor Windows is supporting.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
Maverick7K
Regular User

Intel would have their 64-bit processor out to see which processor Windows is supporting.
Windows will support both AMD and Intel, don't you worry. Eventually the 64 bit processors from both of the companies will have an archetecture that will allow the same copy of windows to run on both chips.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
-George Carlin
Maverick7K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:08 PM   #10
crazidude
Regular User

You never know if they'll have the same architecture. Microsoft said that they will only support 1 64 bit set of instructions. They were going along with AMD until Intel said they'll make a 64 bit processor. Now Windows has been delayed several times.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:12 PM   #11
zevolv
Regular User

There is no point in buying a 64-bit processor since there aren't any programs that support it and I won't buy one until it is universaly supported by everything from OS to games and I buy everything new when it comes to computers.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:51 PM   #12
maduro

I dont agree.. the A64 totally annihilates the P4 clock for clock even when running 32 bit apps, and is also noticeably faster than amd's 'barton' chip.. the fact there are few apps and no real O/S that properly support the 64bit operation and wont be for a while yet is no reason to pass this chip over, its just damn fast whatever its running

of course if you bought it just in the hope of running everything in 64bit then you should of done your homework better, but forget that and see how it runs all 32bit apps and you're laughing

to put it in perspective.. I was running a p4 2.8 @ 3.8ghz not so long ago, I now have a a64 3200+ and its faster at just 2.4ghz than the pentium was

BUT I think the p4 may still be the best choice if you want to use it solely for video editing/encoding purely because of the fact that many such programs are heavily optimized towards P4's right now
Old 01-25-2004, 12:01 AM   #13
maalox
Regular User

I think it's a smart move. They can now try to poach any 64 bit adopters from Intel's Itanium line, which is largely used in workstations or servers. So once 64 bit becomes standard, AMD will have a significantly larger installed user base.

I'm planning on making my next system a 64 bit processor FWIW (maybe the FX51 0X).
maalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 01:00 AM   #14
crazidude
Regular User

Well actually if you're up for a good performing chip, but still have a bit of money to burn, I believe the A64 3000+ is the best performing chip for its price right now. The prices probably won't drop any time soon and the socket 754 platform will die soon so there isn't much of an upgrade there.

And the FX51 is godly, just like the p4ee, but its far too expensive for me.