Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 12-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #16
5vz-fe
Regular User

Well, I must say there's tons of very very good car vids in there (most from JW and BM), but I probably couldn't afford the massive fees that a data recovery company will bill me.

I had a Maxtor 300G SATA (6V300F0) so look out guys. Yeah, they will probably replace my drive, but damage is done.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #17
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Now remember to buy another drive and setup a RAID array to make sure you have 2 copies of everything
Old 12-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #18
PATo355
Regular User

Try searching for "KEPLER DATA RECOVERY" , its in miami , they are very very cheap !

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #19
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Well, I must say there's tons of very very good car vids in there (most from JW and BM), but I probably couldn't afford the massive fees that a data recovery company will bill me.

I had a Maxtor 300G SATA (6V300F0) so look out guys. Yeah, they will probably replace my drive, but damage is done.
That's good that they will replace it. After losing two Maxtor drives, I will probably never go back to them again. Seagate all the way buddy, nothing beats their 5 Year Warranty.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:06 AM   #20
MIHALS
Regular User

that sucks losing data

I can't imagine losing my 90 movies, all my music library, music videos, and mainly car videos... everything stored in my external HD without any backup ops:

we're using WesternDigital in my family and everything's ok
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 AM   #21
subhir
Regular User

I am new to posting to the forums and I just happened to come across this post, so I thought I may be able to help.

I had almost the same problem. The only difference is that my (USB External) HDD would initially work, then after a couple of seconds would start making those clicking sounds and I wouldn't be able to access anything after that (I don't know if this is the case with you).

There are a couple of things that I did to "fix" this (I am not sure exactly which one of them worked, so you may want to try them all one by one):
1. Check that your AC Adapter and USB connections to the HDD are properly connected.
2. If by any chance you disconnected your USB HDD from the main power outlet, make sure that you reconnect it with the same polarity (ie, left adapter terminal to the previous plug point and the right terminal the same as well)
3. If you changed the usb port which the HDD uses to connect to your PC/laptop try putting it back into the old one (I don't know why this could make a difference but it worked for me (after doing all this)).
4. (I am assuming you have basic computer knowledge for this step) Open your USB HDD enclosure and make sure that all the connections are in place (ie, a gentle nudge in the right direction). If you want (and know enough about it) you can disconnect the HDD from the USB HDD and then reconnect it again if you want.

This seemed to work for me and I hope it works for you as well .

I know how painful it is to loose data .
subhir is offline   Reply With Quote