Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 05-18-2005, 08:19 PM   #31
SFDMALEX
Regular User

most likely it will be half a grand like the PS2 and XBOX when they came out.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #32
Mers
Regular User

Rumor has it the PS3 is worth 50 thousand yen on its release...
467 dollars...
now that, my friends, is more than i'mm willing to pay right now...
Old 05-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #33
DeMoN
Regular User

thats gonna be an awesome machine! I guess ill just have to buy a TV? Man im glad PS2 beat Xboxs specs! Last version, PS2 only won cuz of the backward compatibility... now lets se what Billie has to say about this!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #34
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
I myself saw the news report about the consoles on BBC, and they showed a few clips, and they reckoned that the PS3 had better graphics than the 360.

If that holds true... that means there would be no reason to buy the 360 except for Halo.

There is far more to a game than it's graphics buddy. The consoles power means diddly squat if the developers can't make use of it. The Playstations are well known to be difficult to work with.
Graphics schmaphics, if the game is good, I'll play it.
I absolutely agree 100%!!!

...that's why I've got my quids ready for the PS3.

Gran Turismo 5? Tekken 6? Virtua Fighter 5? Pro Evolution Soccer 5? GTA? Metal Gear? Final Fantasy? All the ESPN sports games? All the SEGA sports games? Soul Calibur? Tony Hawk? Victorious Boxers?

I'm only getting two consoles... Sony's and Nintendo's, whichever comes first... simply because you need to get both systems to play certain really exceptional exclusive games (Gran Turismo and Tekken on Sony, Zelda and Mario games on Nintendo).

Xbox has... Halo? $500 on a console for a single game? Reminds me of the days when I used to laugh at NeoGeo owners.

The Xbox was a tremendous flop. It only sold decently in America. It was nonexistent in Japan, and is/was a distant third in Europe. Xbox 360 isn't going to change a thing. It doesn't have the games it needs to gain any market share.

And just for the record, I'm not a Sony/Nintendo fanboy, just a long time gamer, and very familiar with the gaming market/industry.

Xbox 360 will be a rerun of the Xbox... another loss-making product run for Microsoft. Maybe after this failure they'll finally get wise and either (a)buy up all the top companies in Japan, or (b) quit.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:38 AM   #35
666fast
Regular User

GT5- I couldn't care less at the mmoment, it's many many years off
Teken- I dont' play fighting games, never really liked them, available for Xbox as well
Virtua Fighter- ^^
Pro Soccer- don't care, don't play sports games either
GTA- will be on the Xbox 360 eventually just like all other GTA's. The wait doesn't bother me
Metal gear- will be on the Xbox at some point
Final Fantasy- announced during E3, will be on the Xbox
ESPN, Sega sports- don't play sports games
Soul Calibur- don't care
Tony Hawk- I got tired of it after the third game
Victorious Boxers- Never heard of it

I actually don't buy too many games. I only buy what I really want to play. Most of the games above, I could honestly care less about. I've never been a fan of fighting or sports games. I've tried Final Fantasy before, I just can't get into it. Not sure why, but it bores me. Which is amazing, since I'm a huge Shenmue fan. And we all know how well that game sold.

Xbox does have games I want to play, many more than just Halo. Forza has turned out to be good fun, Amped Snowboarding, MotoGP, Rainbow Six, Project Gotham Racing. Gears of war is looking very very sweet. New Tomb Raider is looking good. Ghost Recon and Call of Duty will be on the Xbox 360.

It doesn't have the games it needs to gain any market share.
It certainly does, otherwise it wouldn't be in second place, behind the Sony hypemachine. Tekken was available for the Xbox, with better visuals. Halo is a huge game anywhere. Fable, Morrowind, KOTOR and many more.

It only sold decently in America
Worlds largest market.

Maybe after this failure they'll finally get wise and either (a)buy up all the top companies in Japan, or (b) quit.
No need to buy them all, as many have already signed on to create games for the Xbox. I don't see them quitting either, if any company can stand to lose money hand over fist, it's Microsoft. Whereas for Sony, some 40% of their yearly income comes from the Playstation. So if they missed the market or the Xbox smokes it, they'll be in for some rough times.
I wouldn't count on that though, since so many people will blindly spend all their money on anything Playstation related.

And just for the record, I'm not a Sony/Nintendo fanboy
Then you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss a console that has yet to even hit the market. You should also realize the Xbox has more than just Halo going for it.

I'm not gonna tell you what to buy, but I am gonna tell you not to ignore the Xbox 360. Many many many games have been announced that are looking all sorts of awesome.

None of it matters though, as neither the Xbox, PS2, or Nintendo were the best of this generation. Dreamcast baby! Man that had some awesome games.

I've totally ruined this thread.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:37 AM   #36
Sir_GT
Regular User

Errr... need to correct you with some things...

GT5- I couldn't care less at the mmoment, it's many many years off
Teken- I dont' play fighting games, never really liked them, available for Xbox as well
Virtua Fighter- ^^
Both these games were never available for the Xbox. Tekken practically belongs to Sony. It's a Sony-only title. Virtua Fighter was never made for the Xbox, simply because nobody in Japan (VF's largest market) bought one.

You might think that these aren't significant (because you don't play fighting games) but Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Soul Calibur are huge franchises in Japan and Korea; nations that literally take games seriously. Ever heard of videogame olypics/tournaments where winners pocket $250,000? Korea and Japan hold those. Tekken is also the most popular 3D fighting game in the US, with Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur running a close second.

The fact that Sony had all three titles on the PS2 was of significant importance. Tekken and Soul Calibur are already guaranteed on the PS3 (because the arcade boards they run on are practically PS3-based), and Sega isn't one to hold back handing over Virtua Fighter to the console with the largest market share in Japan, which is why they had two Virtua Fighter 4's (VF4 and VF4:Evo) for the PS2.

It doesn't have the games it needs to gain any market share.
It certainly does, otherwise it wouldn't be in second place, behind the Sony hypemachine. Tekken was available for the Xbox, with better visuals. Halo is a huge game anywhere. Fable, Morrowind, KOTOR and many more.
Second place in America maybe, but a distant third overall. They are in an even worse position now, especially after Nintendo announced that you could download any and all the past titles onto their new console and play them. That's a whole load of classic games, most of which are extremely popular (to the point of achieving cult status) in Japan, Korea, and the rest of Asia and Europe.

A lot of Xbox's "main" games don't appeal to a worldwide audience, and they don't have any of the classic must-have titles that gamers look for. They only have presence in the USA which, for all intents and purposes, isn't good enough.

It only sold decently in America
Worlds largest market.
Not exactly. Largest potential market yes, but it isn't the biggest. More games are sold in Japan than anywhere else in the world. GTA sold about 7 million copies in the US and Europe, whereas each Final Fantasy game sells for about twice or thrice that, and 60% of those sales are based in Japan.

Keep in mind that aside from this title, Xbox 360 doesn't have anything else at the moment. Halo is unknown in Japan (because FPS aren't popular there), and most of Xbox's main sellers do not appeal to a worldwide market either, GTA included.

Worldwide sellers are the ones that carry the most weight in terms of drawing potential buyers. Sony owns Gran Turismo, arguably the game with the most worldwide appeal, and which sells tremendously well in Japan, Korea, the US, and Europe. Tekken is a Sony exclusive as well, and it too, sells very well in Japan, Korea, US, and Europe (for a fighting game). Pro Evolution Soccer (or Winning Eleven as it's called in Asia) is a very important title as well. It's the best selling console football game in Japan and Korea. You've also got the Dragon Warrior RPG series, Final Fantasy, Front Mission, Capcom's games, and all the other Japan-sourced classics.

Point is: The best games (biggest development budget) will appear on the
console with the largest TOTAL market share, because that's where the profits lie. The largest total market share is created by the amount of exclusive titles + popular 3rd party titles. Sony nailed it both times with the PS1 and PS2, there's no way they'll get it wrong for the PS3.

Besides, 1 in I believe 3 US homes have a Playstation. PS3 will be the automatic choice for mommies and daddies stateside because they can still play the hundreds of PS1 and PS2 games they bought little John et al.

And just for the record, I'm not a Sony/Nintendo fanboy
Then you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss a console that has yet to even hit the market. You should also realize the Xbox has more than just Halo going for it.

I'm not gonna tell you what to buy, but I am gonna tell you not to ignore the Xbox 360. Many many many games have been announced that are looking all sorts of awesome.

None of it matters though, as neither the Xbox, PS2, or Nintendo were the best of this generation. Dreamcast baby! Man that had some awesome games.

I've totally ruined this thread.
I'm not dismissing anything. I knew what was going to happen to the Xbox when it was first released. I knew what was going to happen to NeoGeo, Sega, and Atari as well. I've literally watched this industry with personal interest since the days of the Commodore 64 (my dad had one) all throughout Atari, Nintendo, and now PS3.

Microsoft hasn't learned their lesson at all. They still haven't seen the golden rule of succeeding in this industry. It's not just about titles or graphics or what not. It's about Japan first, the West second. If you don't have the Japanese market covered before you try and sell to the US and Europe, you're not going anywhere.

Honestly, I could probably write up a full thesis explaining why Sony's PS3 will quash MS's Xbox 360 and why Nintendo will remain a cult favorite, but I wouldn't want to bore you.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #38
Sir_GT
Regular User

Interesting to see that Famitsu (Who I know to be very reliable) mentioned Tekken 5 on Xbox and GC, and yet 6 months onwards, and more tellingly, only a few months away from the release of Xbox 360, there is still no sign of Tekken 5 on either console.

Sony pulled a few strings behind the scenes maybe? Honestly, I would be very very surprised if I saw Tekken on any other console aside from Sony's.

I'm interested to see what kind of Virtua Fighter Sega will bring to the Xbox 360, since they do make a Virtua Fighter RPG.

Soul Calibur 2 was shared anyway... no surprise there.

I think the biggest point that Xbox 360 scored was the Final Fantasy franchise. Since the Asian console market is very RPG-based (hence the countless RPG's on the PS2), it will be very interesting to see how many more RPG licences Microsoft goes for, especially since America isn't very particular on them (with the exception of Final Fantasy).

Besides, Xbox 360 is only just getting FFXI... that game has been out for the PS2 for quite some time now. PS3 will get FFXII. Why would the Japanese pay for the Xbox 360 version (AND an Xbox 360) of a game they've been playing for pretty much over a year?

Honestly, it still isn't a very convincing argument. All you've shown me are games which the Xbox shares with one or more consoles. Exclusive titles are still far and few in between, and do not have worldwide appeal (to the majority of the Asian and European markets especially.)

Sony still has the advantage mate, sorry.

Even if you talk about hardware peripherals... PS3 gets the bluetooth controllers right out of the box, plus it will be WiFi compatible with the PSP, which is like an ultimate iPod in it's own right... the possibilities/oppurtunities that Sony has with this setup are ridiculous.

My point is simple: I'm sure whatever system you purchase will be the one which satisfies your expectations, and you will thus be pleased, content, happy, and may all the best be with you.

But that still doesn't change the fact that the market is pointing towards a repeat of the last (current) generation's industry standing, in which Sony is the clear market leader worldwide, with Microsoft holding a significant market share in the West, and Nintendo further embracing their "cult" status in the market.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:37 PM   #39
666fast
Regular User

All you've shown me are games which the Xbox shares with one or more consoles

Just a few posts ago, you called them exclusive, as you can see, they no longer are.

compatible with the PSP, which is like an ultimate iPod in it's own right
The PSP will be able to connect with the Xbox 360 as well.

Why would the Japanese pay for the Xbox 360 version (AND an Xbox 360) of a game they've been playing for pretty much over a year?
Because they like to collect things. Ever notice how there were a billion different PS2 consoles in Japan, but nowhere else? Then there is the graphical advantage, while how a game looks isn't most important to me, to some it's very important.

Besides, Xbox 360 is only just getting FFXI... that game has been out for the PS2 for quite some time now.
And if it's a success, you don't think the Xbox will see future versions of the game?

Even if you talk about hardware peripherals... PS3 gets the bluetooth controllers right out of the box
and the Xbox 360 gets wireless controllers right out of the box. It's also known that Peripherals don't sell too well.

I'm still interested in the PS3, but I don't think it'll slaughter the Xbox in sales this time around. There is also the issue of online gaming, Xbox Live proves it's very much in demand. As far as I know, Sony seems to have no plan whatsoever.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #40
Sir_GT
Regular User

Might as well throw in a few E3 PS3 clips:
Final Fantasy XII(rumoured to be in real-time)

Vision Gran Turismo (supposedly in real-time as well... looks basically like the CGI intro of GT4 on the PS2, except this time you're actually playing)

Killzone 2 (the trailer is rumoured to be CGI, so I'm not excited)

Tekken 6 (whereas this one is supposed to be in real-time... which does excite)

Devil May Cry 4 (apparently this one is in real-time as well)

A link to Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid 3: Substance, Metal Gear Ac!d 2 which has the MGS4 trailer for PS3... haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment.

Enjoy watching/downloading. I'm off to bed. G'night.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #41
Sir_GT
Regular User

...and I thought I was done...

All you've shown me are games which the Xbox shares with one or more consoles
Just a few posts ago, you called them exclusive, as you can see, they no longer are.
Tekken still seems like it. Only Sega (VF) and SquareEnix (FF) seem to have "spread their risks".

compatible with the PSP, which is like an ultimate iPod in it's own right
The PSP will be able to connect with the Xbox 360 as well.
Eh? PSP is Sony's handheld. PlayStation Portable. I don't think Microsoft even wants it to be compatible. Lol.

Why would the Japanese pay for the Xbox 360 version (AND an Xbox 360) of a game they've been playing for pretty much over a year?
Because they like to collect things. Ever notice how there were a billion different PS2 consoles in Japan, but nowhere else? Then there is the graphical advantage, while how a game looks isn't most important to me, to some it's very important.
Don't be daft. FFVII was also re-sold on the PC after a while. Seems to me that Microsoft has reached a deal of receiving Sony's titles after they've served their purpose for the PlayStation franchise. Sort of like how people buy used underwear at a car boot sale.

Besides, Xbox 360 is only just getting FFXI... that game has been out for the PS2 for quite some time now.
And if it's a success, you don't think the Xbox will see future versions of the game?
Errr...see above.

Even if you talk about hardware peripherals... PS3 gets the bluetooth controllers right out of the box
and the Xbox 360 gets wireless controllers right out of the box. It's also known that Peripherals don't sell too well.
When I was talking about peripherals, I meant the non-processing related hardware bits such as controllers, et al. Xbox 360 allows for (IIRC) 4 wireless controllers out of the box. PS3 allows for 7 bluetooth controllers out of the box.

I'm still interested in the PS3, but I don't think it'll slaughter the Xbox in sales this time around. There is also the issue of online gaming, Xbox Live proves it's very much in demand. As far as I know, Sony seems to have no plan whatsoever.
I'll hold my tongue on overall sales as well. I don't think the Xbox will do well in Japan, but it would be interesting to see what approach Microsoft will take with regards to their main market, the USA.

I too would like to know what changes Sony is making with regards to online play. I know for a fact that the PS3 was designed with online play in mind (combined processing power and all that, which they mentioned over a year ago), and that FFXI did well in Japan. How Sony will integrate their approach to online gaming with regards to the American and European markets will be the most interesting bit if you ask me.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #42
666fast
Regular User

According to IGN.com, all of Sony's games excluding UT2007 and Fight Night were prerendered movies. They also said it took 6 months to build the Killzone trailer. :shock:

Check this movie out, if the game ends up anything like that, it's gonna be a blast!
Motorstorm:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1678
Old 05-19-2005, 08:10 PM   #43
666fast
Regular User

Eh? PSP is Sony's handheld. PlayStation Portable. I don't think Microsoft even wants it to be compatible. Lol.
Microsoft already said it would be.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/615/615304p1.html

4 wireless controllers out of the box. PS3 allows for 7 bluetooth controllers out of the box.
You and I both know it'll never be used. 7 players on one screen, riiiiigghhht. Splitscreen with two players is bad enough, so......7? No thank you.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:41 AM   #44
Sir_GT
Regular User

Anything IGN says, I'll hold my breath on. They first said GTA was a launch title, now they withdrew the comment. That's just the way they roll.

I'm VERY surprised Microsoft allowed the PSP to be compatible with the Xbox 360. An act of desparation perhaps?

BTW, I was speaking to a friend of mine who actually has an engineering degree that is directly related to computer hardware. He said the Playstation 3 is more powerful than the Xbox 360 on all accounts.

He (and another mate of mine) said that the PS3's GPU alone is double the entire processing power of the Xbox 360. I'll trust them on this, because they definitely know what they're talking about.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #45
666fast
Regular User

all the players can be on just one, fighting with eachother or what not. So the 7 player support can come in handy and I think it is and advantage.

I just read that it supports HDMI. Now all you need is super expensive cables and TV's. They really ought to rethink this, it's making it much more expensive and less than 2% of owners will use it.