Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default Playstation 3

I must say, that on looks of the console alone, Sony blew Microsoft out of the water. I really want one in the black color. The only thing I'm worried about is the price! I really wouldn't be surprised if it was $500. Killzone looks pretty damn good too, will it actually be good and give Halo a run for it's money this time?

http://www.filerushnews.com/gallery/album176

The name was not unexpected, since Sony had been running an extensive teaser-ad campaign prepping the public for the PlayStation 3. The company had laid a blanket of posters around the Los Angeles Convention Center, site of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3). Bus stalls and billboards around the convention center proclaimed "Prepare for Chang3" in the distinctive PlayStation font with partial shots of the Dual Shock controller's square-circle-triangle-X buttons.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5 inch HDD somewhat similar the Xbox 360's.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz, giving the whole system 2.18 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, and have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The RSX also has 512mb of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over 300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today.

To show off the PlayStation 3's graphical brawn, Sony showed several game demos, including an Unreal 3 tech demo of what appeared to be Unreal Tournament 2007. In what must come as a relief to developers, Epic Games' Tim Sweeney was on hand to vouch for the PS3, saying it was "easy to program for" and that Epic had received its first PS3 hardware two months ago. He proved the tech demo was real time by showing it again and manipulating the camera and zooming in.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."
I'm not gonna go into the specs, I really don't care how many troggleblips a CPU can do a second. As long as the games are good, thats all I care about. I have to say I'm not too sure on the controller! LOL
Old 05-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #2
Minacious
Regular User

I knew Sony was going to do this. Wait until the week of E3 then drop the bombshell.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #3
zr2man99
Regular User

Yea, the controller looks like a boomarang. Looks like the ps3 will be pretty sweet.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:58 AM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by zr2man99
Yea, the controller looks like a boomarang. Looks like the ps3 will be pretty sweet.
At least when you get pissed off and throw it, it'll come back.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:07 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
Originally Posted by zr2man99
At least when you get pissed off and throw it, it'll come back.
LOL!!!!!

The Sony one looks like a very slick game console while the XBox is comparison looks like a computer. Again, I think it is the games that make the best of a console so we'll have to wait and see who's better.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:36 AM   #6
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Is this official?...on the looks alone it beats the Xbox 360, I'll take the black one please...the controller on the other hand looks really bad, I wish they had kept the same design incorporating bluethoot...oh well we can only wait and see..

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:44 AM   #7
coloradosilver
Regular User

I can already tell that controller is going to piss me off. Oh well...guess it'll just take some getting used to. Hopefully the quality and involvement of the games will make up for it.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:25 AM   #8
evoWalo
Regular User

Product name: PlayStation 3

Logo: PLAYSTATION(R)3

CPU

Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU

RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound

Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

Memory

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth

Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance

2 TFLOPS

Storage

Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O

USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication

Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

AV Output

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
Old 05-17-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
Mers
Regular User

For u guys to have an idea...the PS3 has the grahic capability of two GeForce 6800 Ultra, the most powerful graphics card on the market today...1080 progressive res.
and the processor has 13 times the amount of teraflops than the XBOX 360...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
evoWalo
Regular User

The Xbox 360 has 1TFlops. The PS3 has 2TFlops
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
Daggernite
Regular User

Wow PS3 looks sweet. I just been checking www.gametrailers.com and all the ps3 and xbox360 videos are up from E3 show. All the games look pretty awesome, including the ff7 intro
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation.
This alone is worth the price of entry.

Sony and PD may redeem themselves yet..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #13
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation.

In that case RC... you'll love Nintendo's new console. It'll allow you to play all Nintendo's games from the NES to the GameCube.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWALO

In that case RC... you'll love Nintendo's new console. It'll allow you to play all Nintendo's games from the NES to the GameCube.
Except there were never any decent Nintendo games out there
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #15
yg60m
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWALO

Except there were never any decent Nintendo games out there
And what about Mario Kart ?? I had so much fun with this game !!