Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-30-2004, 07:04 AM   #1
WhiteP
Regular User

Default Networking problem part2 - Internet Sharing

Is it possible to share internet to others with a computer that the internet is already shared by another computer?

Internet --> Router
--> Computer A
--> Computer B
--> Computer C --> Computer D

Is sharing internet with Computer D possible that way?

ops: Confusing?
WhiteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
AlienDB7
Regular User

Don't see any problem with that. But why not just plug D into the router as well? If it's wiring problem, you can just get a hub/switch and uplink it to the router.

so you get:
Internet --> Router
--> Computer A
--> Computer B
--> (uplink) Hub or Switch
(from hub) => Computer C
(from hub) => Computer D

Hope this isn't too confusing
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
crazidude
Regular User

To go from Computer C to D you'd also need a crossover cable(assuming its Ethernet).
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
DeMoN
Regular User

computer C should have two ethernet and D one so that one from C goes to router and the other to D
Old 01-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
bsmith121
Regular User

Windows XP makes this real easy if you have two Network Interface Cards in Computer C.

Internet --> Router
--> Computer A
--> Computer B
--> NIC 1 on Computer C
NIC 2 on Computer C --> Computer D

As crazidude said, you will need a crossover cable to go from Computer C to Computer D.

On Computer C, look at the Network Connections part in the Control Panel. Right click and go to Properties on the NIC you have connected to the router. I'll call this NIC1. If you look at the advanced tab, you should see Internet Connection Sharing. Check the box about allowing other network users to connect through this computer.

XP will set up NIC 2 on Computer C to have an IP of 192.168.0.1, so you have to set Computer D to have an IP in the same range. (192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.3 or whatever). Also make sure that the SubNet Mask agrees between NIC2 on Computer C and the NIC on Computer D. (Usually 255.255.255.0) The Gateway for Computer D should be set to 192.168.0.1 (IP address of NIC2 on Computer C).

And, it's just that easy.

I think this is right. It's all from memory right now. If it turns out I messed something up, I'll come back and fix it.

These might help as well...
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...rbroadband.htm
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/.../clientwiz.htm
bsmith121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:48 AM   #6
gtx28
Regular User

There is a bit of a discrepency with bsmith121s description, i would allow computer d to use dhcp, the figures on the RFC 1918 are correct for class c it is 192.168.0.1. But if the other three machines are dynamically assigned from the router you may run into problems if you statically assign an address to computer d, also make sure that the router you are using is set up for the RFC 1918 other wise if you decide to use that addressing scheme you will have problems, just make sure your in the correct network. Good luck, and let me know if ya have problems. ill help ya no problem.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 AM   #7
WhiteP
Regular User

Thanks for everyone's help Once I have time, I will try all the solutions.. I hope I can make it
WhiteP is offline   Reply With Quote