Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-23-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
WhiteP
Regular User

Default Could you tell me how to network 2 computers?

Hello, I m having problem networking my desktop and laptop. The desktop is running Win98 SE and the laptop is running Win XP Pro. The desktop is the one that connect to the internet. I m using a crossover cable to link between the two and I didn't use a hub.

For the Win98 SE, I already checked the sharing files and sharing printer boxes, and also chose Microsoft Network Logon. For the Win XP Pro, I already added a home network, and use the networking wizard disk on my Win 98 SE. Unfortunately, in the network neighbourhood, none of them can see the others.

I don't know what to do, I hope there's an expert here to help out hehe... Thanks a lot.

oops this topic should've posted in the Computer gadget section ops:
WhiteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
snoopykul
Regular User

make sure you don't have any firewall programs blocking each computer out.
also, check out www.practicallynetworked.com

working and chatting is fun.
snoopykul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:30 PM   #3
zevolv
Regular User

Your problem is the OS' 98 SE doesn't know that XP exists. have you tried using a briefcase to share files with? that should work. There's a whole different Architecture between the two OS'. I suggest you check out www.TechTV.com they can help you do anything you can think of. Without spending money there's not too much I can think of.

If the computers are directly connected then a Firewall shouldn't be the problem.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
stalkboy
Regular User

WindowsXP and Windows98 SE can network together just fine. I have a setup running like this right now, with two XP machines and a 98 machine, in which all three can communicate with eachother. The WindowsXP network wizard does exactly what it's supposed to do, but there is no wizard in 98.

Usually when you can't see eachother it might be because you aren't in the same workgroup. XP Pro defaults your workgroup to MSHOME when you run the wizard.

Sometimes you have to have at least one file shared in 98 for anything to be seen at all. Make sure file and print sharing is on, too. I dont have an immediate solution, but 98 and XP can be networked without problem. Shares longer than 12 characters won't show up, though. i think.

you can probably manually assign the IP addresses if all else fails...
stalkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
AlienDB7
Regular User

Make sure you're using the same (no more no less) protocols for both computers. Type ipconfig in dos prompt to get the IP for each box (should be different). Then, try to ping each other's IP to see if the connection is okay. It's possible that they're on different workgroup and that's why you can't see each other. However, in that case, you can always access the box by browsing through "entire network" in network neighbourhood.

Good luck!
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #6
Sachmo12345
Regular User

you have to use a continuum transfunctioner
Sachmo12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:42 AM   #7
beebo
Regular User

Along with the workgroup name you MAY need to make sure XP has the NETBUI protocol installed as thats how Windows machines know each other (its a M$oft protocol - suprise).

XP help says it doesn't need to be installed but LOTS of mixed OS networks have prbs with the machines detecting each other without it
beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:16 AM   #8
WhiteP
Regular User

Thank you everyone.. I will have to try them later.. busy working lately :cry:
Old 01-28-2004, 08:47 AM   #9
stalkboy
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sachmo12345
you have to use a continuum transfunctioner
Excellent line, and if I might add, excellent avatar. That's honestly the first time I've ever seen that done.
stalkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
DeMoN
Regular User

Since XP is newer, I suggest you run the wizard on your laptop by going to "network places" and selecting "setup home or small office network"

Tell the wizard that you want your laptop to be the secondary and when the wizard finishes, you get four options. I know for sure the last one is "just finish..." but there is one where you can create a floppy disk I am sure. Then select that option and make a configure floppy and place it on the old coputer. Make sure that the WORKGROUP is the same for both. The default for XP I believe is MSHOME but for win98 it's WORKGROUP.

If you use any firewall, I suggest you run the networking from each firewall so that it accepts the ip from each other... If this still does not work, then you are in for a mess of a job, and me for a mess of explanation lol cuz you can do it manually but will take time. Let me know what happens
Old 01-29-2004, 06:11 AM   #11
WhiteP
Regular User

My XP can finally see my Win98, but when I click on Win98 from my Xp. It said

\\win98 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.

In Network Neighbourhood, my win 98 can't see my XP at all. What's the problem? Thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 06:30 AM   #12
WhiteP
Regular User

Wahahhahaha

I finally solved my problem. The main problem is ZoneAlarm, once I shut it down, everything works now...

Now I think I have to play with settings of ZoneAlarm a bit.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:39 AM   #13
gtx28
Regular User

Thats good you have your problem solved, the first thing when you have a network problem is to run an ICMP echo or a ping, run the ping command in the command line interface(access with start then run, type command or cmd and ok). You need to try and ping from one machine to another. I dont think that win98 is capable of running a dhcp software server on an interface so i think you have to use static addresses with that network scheme, unless you have another layer 3 device to provide you an address. Another thing is that with winxp it puts a software firewall on all physically allocated ports, you can turn this of in the properties for this interface. Like your ethernet adapter, in the propertys and advanced you should find it, just uncheck it. If you have more problems let me know i used to be a network engineer. There is more money in realestate so career change woohoo lol. Have fun laters.
gtx28 is offline   Reply With Quote