Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default LCD Monitor Help!

Hey guys, need some help on deciding which LCD Monitor to buy. I have been looking at various 17inch 12ms monitor but I am not sure if I should buy one with DVI input. So far, the price difference is about 10%, but if the performace is justified, I will go for the more expensive one (DVI equiped).
Old 07-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
oscargarza88
Regular User

well if its more expensive i guess its better....
and i recomend this http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/display/lcd/6665/ or another page of the same prduct: http://www.doublesight.com/ it looks very cool! and the price well its ok for 2 monitors! and then u can just buy this http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/display/65ee/ and have tv and computer at the same time one in each monitor, is that cool or what
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

hahaha...as much as I want it, I will have to eat dust bunnies for the month if I gonna buy that monitor u suggest oscargarza88 LOL!

But that's so cool and I will be almost half way in catching Jabba's system.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
Vansquish
Regular User

Ok...the real questions are: How much do you want to spend? and, Do you have a Costco membership?

If you're willing to spend a little over 500usd, at Costco you can get your hands on a 19" LCD like my brother and I have. If not, there are 17" and 18" monitors as well. The other part about Costco is that if you have a membership there, you can buy it and if something goes wrong in the first 6 months or year or something (I can't remember which exactly) you can return it for a full refund no questions asked. I think monitors might be either a year or two years on that deal actually. Some things like MP3 players you can return an indefinite amount of time later and still receive your money back (even if they're broken).

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Vansquish
Regular User

well, the 19" I have is was a bit over 500 bucks and is a Princeton monitor w/ 1280x1024 and is significantly better than my roommate's 17" Dell flat panel. Things are much easier to see on mine and there appears to be less pixelation, though that could just be an effect of the larger size. Oh yes, it's also got DVI and his doesn't. Anyway, that's my two cents, the bigger the better in essence, but of course quality does matter, don't buy a shitty monitor.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:46 PM   #6
5vz-fe
Regular User

Well, I can only afford around 700 cdn tax incl (15 tax here btw) for the monitor. And if I want 12ms respond time, it nails down to Samsung 710T, BenQ 783, 767-12 or 757-12 .... these 3. I know what u mean, when buying from Costco I got an extra protection about the quality of the monitor, but at the same time, they are over priced by 50 bucks at least on the same model.

What I heard for sales ppl, they say that even manufacture quoted a certain respond time, when using DVI, it got a faster respond time when compared to analog (D-Sub).

Yeah, Vansquish, I know what u mean, I won't settle for a shitty brand just to meet the budget call if it ever broke or the quality is not that great I will be squeesing my balls like a pitcher at bases fully loaded.

Hey thamar, I don't think there are alot of shops that carry Sony LCD over here.....either that or they are expensive and models are very old....do u have any other model suggestion? Like BenQ, Samsung, LG, Acer....
Old 07-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
itsthepham

Originally Posted by Vansquish
Ok...the real questions are: How much do you want to spend? and, Do you have a Costco membership?

If you're willing to spend a little over 500usd, at Costco you can get your hands on a 19" LCD like my brother and I have. If not, there are 17" and 18" monitors as well. The other part about Costco is that if you have a membership there, you can buy it and if something goes wrong in the first 6 months or year or something (I can't remember which exactly) you can return it for a full refund no questions asked. I think monitors might be either a year or two years on that deal actually. Some things like MP3 players you can return an indefinite amount of time later and still receive your money back (even if they're broken).
hehe the thing with costco...they'll take anything back even if you didnt buy it there. Worked for me. I tried returning a Digital Camera i bought online and they accepted it and gave me cash back. Other than that...if you bought it at costco and something goes wrong, they'll take it back regardless of how long it was been.
itsthepham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by itsthepham
Originally Posted by Vansquish

hehe the thing with costco...they'll take anything back even if you didnt buy it there. Worked for me. I tried returning a Digital Camera i bought online and they accepted it and gave me cash back. Other than that...if you bought it at costco and something goes wrong, they'll take it back regardless of how long it was been.
hahaha...really??..damn, u should buy more and returned it to them..u might make a buisness out of it.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
itsthepham

hahaha yeah. I think everyone in my family has done it. With their digital cameras that is. You know...if its outdated or it just plain sucks. time to return to costco. haha one of the greatest return policy ever.

BTW, I was looking into getting a LCD too. But I figured a Viewsonic Professional Series CRT would be a better choice since im doing 3D Mechanical Designing. Unless there are any good LCD out there.
itsthepham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:23 PM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

thx guys....great help