Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #16
nthfinity
Regular User

Let's hope 5th Gear will stay. Last time they showed Motorvision, it got canned after a season

I still can't forgive them for that!
among many other deeds..... damn the unemployed nascar fans! and the WRC/FIA fans for not being Nielson families!!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:16 AM   #17
RC45
Regular User

I will believe this when I see the schedule posted.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:22 AM   #18
StanAE86
Regular User

Yeah, when I heard SpeedChannel sold out to SpeedTV and they were going to basically make it NASCAR TV, I knew it was bad news for everyone else. SpeedChannel was the only place that would show the non-mainstream stuff like WRC. At least they still show it, and F1, although less than before, I think.

Does anyone know what the difference is between 5th Gear and Top Gear? Is it the type of cars reviewed?
Old 05-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #19
SkylineGTR34VspecII

the different people reviewing
Old 05-15-2004, 03:09 PM   #20
TT
Regular User

Does anyone know what the difference is between 5th Gear and Top Gear? Is it the type of cars reviewed?
Just two different car programs on two different TV channels
Old 05-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #21
nthfinity
Regular User

Yeah, when I heard SpeedChannel sold out to SpeedTV and they were going to basically make it NASCAR TV, I knew it was bad news for everyone else. SpeedChannel was the only place that would show the non-mainstream stuff like WRC. At least they still show it, and F1, although less than before, I think.
well, actually, Speed channel (now) had showed much more WRC coverage then Speedvision(then)
Speed even showed it during primetime to help get recognition of the great sport...
the problem was that the ratings never really showed any improvement whatsoever, which is why they put things like tuner programs on in those time slots. i respect speed for attempting, but in the process of pulling out WRC coverage in primetime, they neglected to place it elsewhere (hell, id watch it at 1am, or 1pm)

the problem with the daytime slots is that the ratings showed unemployed workers often love nascar.... so guess whats on all friggin day?

unfortunately, true enthusiasts are hard to find ..... eg i spoke with one guy yesterday wearing a Ferrari FIA championship hat from 2003, so i mentioned a few insights. he then told me i am only the 10th, or 11th person he's met who loves F1, ergo American grassroots love of things beside F1 :roll:

point being that great racing may not make great ratings, and therefor poor revenue. i wish this was different, as i think more canadians goto the American GP in Indianapolis then americans...
Old 05-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #22
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
well, actually, Speed channel (now) had showed much more WRC coverage then Speedvision(then)
Speed even showed it during primetime to help get recognition of the great sport...
the problem was that the ratings never really showed any improvement whatsoever, which is why they put things like tuner programs on in those time slots. i respect speed for attempting, but in the process of pulling out WRC coverage in primetime, they neglected to place it elsewhere (hell, id watch it at 1am, or 1pm)

the problem with the daytime slots is that the ratings showed unemployed workers often love nascar.... so guess whats on all friggin day?

unfortunately, true enthusiasts are hard to find ..... eg i spoke with one guy yesterday wearing a Ferrari FIA championship hat from 2003, so i mentioned a few insights. he then told me i am only the 10th, or 11th person he's met who loves F1, ergo American grassroots love of things beside F1 :roll:

point being that great racing may not make great ratings, and therefor poor revenue. i wish this was different, as i think more canadians goto the American GP in Indianapolis then americans...
The problem I see with America and Canada at the moment is that the old still love their Nascar, and the young/retarted are into all this rice/drift garbage. And road racing(rallying included) simply is getting no fans in North America...all in all its pretty pretty sad whats going on.......even many people here in Toronto who were Ferrari hats dont know much about F1 and were those hats because they are Italian.............
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:21 PM   #23
T-Bird
Regular User

what's even funnier is all the Unemployed people are paying out the ass to have speedTV and go to Nascar events eventhough they probably can barely afford other bills. What even worse are these ricer boys buy rally cars and don't know what WRC is that's why they need to play more WRC on TV. I will definitely watch and Tivo every 5th gear they air even reruns since they do ratings with Tivo.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #24
Schwalbe

even many people here in Toronto who were Ferrari hats dont know much about F1 and were those hats because they are Italian.............
You underline a real fact SFDMALEX. This reality is similar to Montréal. This is again worse when there is a Grand Prix of F1 in Montréal.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #25
nthfinity
Regular User

not so disimilar to Indianapolis, either... i lived there a number of years back.
people tend to think first of the Indianapolis 500... which is a decent enough endurance race... but again, shares the 'go left' theorum, and the second race they think of would be the Brickyard 400 (Nascar) they do know the American GP takes place there... but are much more apathetic regarding it.

i agree about the wear it because its ferrari, not because they follow, or know about F1. but on the west side of MI where i am, a Ferrari F1 hat is quite a rare sight...
Old 05-15-2004, 10:58 PM   #26
Swanniebird
Regular User

Finally one of my favorite car shows coming to my television. Soon I won't have to download videos of the show off Kazaa to get a glimpse of some of the best cars out there.
Swanniebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:22 PM   #27
Tomerville
Regular User

Awsome! how about top gear now?

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:35 AM   #28
AlienDB7
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
Awsome! how about top gear now?
Doubt that'll happen since BBC has the right to air in the the US.
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:37 PM   #29
skituner
Regular User

i really hope this is true
im tried of having to D/L the episodes
skituner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:05 AM   #30
MB300E87
Regular User

anything to detract from nascar is a good thing.

and fifth gear is a great way to do that!