Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-27-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
AlienDB7
Regular User

Default Anti-virus for your Lexus??

Mobile virus infects Lexus cars
by David Quainton

Lexus cars may be vulnerable to viruses that infect them via mobile phones. Landcruiser 100 models LX470 and LS430 have been discovered with infected operating systems that transfer within a range of 15 feet.

"If infected mobile devices are scary, just thinking about an infected onboard computer..," said Eugene Kaspersky, head of anti-virus research at Russian firm Kaspersky. "We do know that car manufacturers are integrating existing operating systems into their onboard computers (take the Fiat and Microsoft deal, for instance)."

It is understood the virus could affect the navigation system of the Lexus models, it transfers onto them via a Bluetooth mobile phone connection. It is still unclear whether the cars in question use the Symbian operating system which has recently been under attack from various worms and viruses.

"At this stage it's still early but it just goes to show that technology has consequences," said David Emm, senior technology consultant at Kaspersky. "It's scary stuff."

Vulnerable operating systems are increasingly moving onto a number of different devices. Last year the Slammer worm infected 13,000 Bank of America ATMs as a result of them moving to a Windows-based operating system.

"I've even seen screenshots of major commercial aeroplanes with Windows 2000-based operating systems," said Mikko Hypponen, director of anti-virus research at Finnish firm F-Secure. "Cars are an obvious target for viruses. It's okay if you don't use the operating system for the engine and the brakes, but when you do..."

Bill Gates is a known Lexus driver. In 1999 he auctioned one for charity.

When contacted Lexus declined to comment.

Source: infosecnews.com
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:49 AM   #2
Z28
Regular User

It's crazy that manufactures are installing microsoft based OS's in their products. I thought everyone who has used a computer would know that windows is vulnerable and can be unstable. Looks like it's time to update the antivirus software and install a firewall in your new Lexus.
Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
SilviaEvo
Regular User

that would suck doing that on your car. i mean who wants to install something on their car?!!?
Old 01-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
that would suck doing that on your car. i mean who wants to install something on their car?!!?
Sad thing is, the people probably don't even realize that their phones are fucked up and don't even think about their Bluetooth enabled cars, or the fact that all that shit is linked. So why would they think about their vehicles body modules being run by Microsoft?

looks like bmw will be seeing a few toyot.er..lexus, trade-ins in the next few months

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
GTO
Regular User

Originally Posted by Z28
It's crazy that manufactures are installing microsoft based OS's in their products. I thought everyone who has used a computer would know that windows is vulnerable and can be unstable. Looks like it's time to update the antivirus software and install a firewall in your new Lexus.
And reboot your car while going on the freeway.
FFS windows in cars? Like when buy food saying it"GM free", Now when you buy a car it will have "Microsoft free" on the windsheild.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

the more complicated cars become, the worse they become (in some cases)