Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 07-22-2004, 04:29 PM   #31
edwardbauer

you just cant beat a s2000 for the effort it took on
edwardbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #32
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by PaulGT2164
depending on the year of the car, the 5sfe offered anywhere between 135-150HP
your 1992 model should be on the upside of 140 - 145

the motor is also shared in the camry

burien toyota (www.poweredbytoyota.com) has a really nice turbo kit (i have had it before)

and www.raceeng.com has pistons and rings and rods for the 5sfe

to get cams, go to www.webcamshafts.com, they have stage one and two cams

the 5sfe is a gooood motor, i like it

i have a ton of pics of the 1990 alltrac and my 1988 ill post later
and maybe a video or two of the 1990 model at the track, where in the 1/8th mile, completely stock (except for a trd spec turbo) it ran a 10 flat on its first run
Hmmm...everywhere I've looked quotes the 1992 Celica 5SFE as producing 135hp/145torque...and some say as low as 130hp (which is usually quoted for the 1990 & 1991). I have never, however, seen anything as high as 140 or 145hp; I'm definietly not saying you are wrong, it just seems odd that I've never seen them quoted as being that high.

Maybe 140-145+hp for 1992 is for the domestic [Japan] market? Or maybe for other markets besides North America where I assume the emissions regulations are more lax, espeically 12 years ago when that engine was produced.

I looked into the Burien kit when I first got my car, and supposedly it is a pretty good kit (your opinion would be greatly appricated, esp since you've driven one!), but it is also quite expensive ($2500 w/o install) and that's too much money for me, plus I'm worried about the reliablity of the engine with the turbo.

It's my understanding that the 3S-GTE shares the same block as the 5SFE, but the 3SGTE has more oil pathways in the block(?) to help cooling, and some other differences (including smaller displacement) to cope with the stress of a turbo. The 5SFE, not being designed to handle a turbo does not have these features, and that makes me seriously doubt its ability to handle the stress of a turbo for long periods of time (25,000mi).

In addition to that, I have heard very mixed ratings of the 5SFE overall as an engine to be tuned. In stock form it is bullet proof, but once you begin to go past basic tuning it doesn't hold up very well, and some say heavy tuning equals a blown 5SFE...no matter how you do it. Can you confirm/refute that?

I took a look at the cams & pistons sites you gave links to, and thanks .
Those are some pricey cams...$632, or maybe I am just delusional about the cost of parts . About how much would it cost/how difficult would it be to change the cams on the 5SFE? Would there be that much of a difference in feel after changing the cams?

That's alot of questions I threw out there, so hopefully you can at least answer a few for me.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:05 AM   #33
DanielW
Regular User

i think the current celicas are stunning looking cars, but they lack any balls.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wytrzyszc
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:08 AM   #34
PaulGT2164
Regular User

"I looked into the Burien kit when I first got my car, and supposedly it is a pretty good kit (your opinion would be greatly appricated, esp since you've driven one!), but it is also quite expensive ($2500 w/o install) and that's too much money for me, plus I'm worried about the reliablity of the engine with the turbo.

It's my understanding that the 3S-GTE shares the same block as the 5SFE, but the 3SGTE has more oil pathways in the block(?) to help cooling, and some other differences (including smaller displacement) to cope with the stress of a turbo. The 5SFE, not being designed to handle a turbo does not have these features, and that makes me seriously doubt its ability to handle the stress of a turbo for long periods of time (25,000mi).

In addition to that, I have heard very mixed ratings of the 5SFE overall as an engine to be tuned. In stock form it is bullet proof, but once you begin to go past basic tuning it doesn't hold up very well, and some say heavy tuning equals a blown 5SFE...no matter how you do it. Can you confirm/refute that?

I took a look at the cams & pistons sites you gave links to, and thanks .
Those are some pricey cams...$632, or maybe I am just delusional about the cost of parts . About how much would it cost/how difficult would it be to change the cams on the 5SFE? Would there be that much of a difference in feel after changing the cams? "

the burien kit is great, and you only need to go get small minor parts from the dealer ( a few non re-usable o rings and whatnot) and isnt that hard to install, and i had no issues running it at the stock boost level at all

the 3SGTE block and the 5sfe block are alot alike, the head diiference is donated by the "G" in the 3sgte meaning performance, and the "f" in the 5sfe denoting drivability/economy

theoretically it is possible to transplant the 3S series head on a 5S but i have never seen it done, and yes you are right, there are extra cooling passages. one day i will get around to seeing if they are important, i have alot of 3SGTE and 5SFE parts laying around.

the 5SFE is a great engine for low boost situations (no more than 8-9 psi) but thats at least an extra 80hp at that boost, which does make a huge difference, especially in rolling start acceleration. but anything more than that and you do have to replace the internals, unless you tune the engine to a knife edge, which is never good (one gallon of bad gas...) however if you want to be different, build a 5SFE turbo, with full internals...the torque is much better than on a similiar output 3sgte. the biggest problem with turboing the 5sfe to 16-25lbs boost is that the 5sfe doesnt have the oil squirters, and it runs hotter than the 3sgte at the same output, to counter this i used the intercooler from an audi S4, and later a Saab 9000 and an oil cooler, and converted to waterless NPG coolant and i didnt have any troubles besides lots of tirespin lol, and the stock clutch...yeah it goes pretty fast above 6psi if you drive the piss outta it

the price on the cams isnt that bad seeming they are low volume cams
i was very very happy with the performance of the stage two cams, the engine had a angry lope to it, and i could tell there was alot more power on top end, and the cams are not hard to install, if you have never done it, do it on a weekend or when you dont need the car for a day or two, there is nothing wrong with taking your time, especially when it comes to this kinda of money

i was just bored, and wanted someting other than a "run of the mill" 3sgte swap so i built a 5sfe, but given the cost, the 3sgte is more economical, but its really cool to pop the hood and see toyota knowledgable people gasp in amazment of your 300+ hp 5sfe

i ran the car for a while (45k miles) with the built engine, and had no problems running 14-16 psi boost most of the time, it was reliable, but i took lots of precautions too

now i am conteplating a rwd 1994 celica....i have a few untried ideas....but ill have to try it to see if it works, cause no one has ever done it, but the 6th gen 1994-1999 celica has a longer, wider wheelbase, and would be awesome RWD drift car, i figure the longer and more uderhood space would allow me to mount the 3sgte in a longwise posotion using custom mounts, and then using the transmission from a jap spec is300 (they use the beams 3s motor) a custom driveshaft, and the rear end outta a GT four it could work lol

anyhows i could go on all day, i love toyotas, and celicas, and have owned 3 or 4 of them and they all were awesome
Old 07-24-2004, 08:17 PM   #35
sentra_dude

Thanks for all the info PaulGT2164. 8)

------------
Old 07-24-2004, 08:22 PM   #36
graywolf624
Regular User

Another front wheel drive car bites the dust(in current form)..

Forgive me if I dont shed a tear in the hopes that maybe the rwd that has begun at the american automotive manufacturers will rub off on the japanese.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #37
sentra_dude

^^^I sure hope you're right...

I know one thing, I will never buy/own another fwd car.

------------
Old 07-25-2004, 01:14 AM   #38
oldsnail
Regular User

i have a 5sfe in my motor.. and honestly, its reliable, but not worth modding.. it doesnt produce 150hp stock.. highest output was the final years on the 2000 camry which had 142hp.. replaced with a newer 2.4L w/ vvti in current gens..

i was thinking of modding my 5sfe... but after the intake and flywheel.. i gave up and just hope one day it will blow so i can put either a 3sge or 3sgte.. modding the 5sfe just cost too much, and with the money spent will not outperform a stock 3sgte..

if u compare the lastest celica gts fully loaded with sunroof/leather/stereo and all the crap, its still lighter than a stripped version of an integra type R.. something to think about.