Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
alfu
Regular User

Default Changing oil on manual gearboxes

Hi

Is it necesary to change the oil in those trans.? I think yes it is, because nothing lasts forever.
But the change intervals? 50.000km????100.000km???? more than that???

Thanks
alfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
T-Bird
Regular User

Yes you need to change your tranny fluid/oil and most recommend 50,000 but it could be less if you drive hard and the manufacturer may have different specs.

ALSO: don't forget differential fluid if it's RWD or AWD.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:42 PM   #3
gottacatchup
Regular User

ALSO: don't forget differential fluid if it's RWD or AWD.
FWD cars have differentials too[/quote]
Old 02-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
T-Bird
Regular User

true but I meant when you change the Transmission FWD diff fluid usually last alot longer.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
coombsie66
Regular User

The diff is an integral part of the greabox in FWD is it not? So if u chahged the oil in teh box, u'd b doin teh diff 2?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
SamuraiGti
Regular User

I don't think that the differential is in the gearbox on the fwd cars.

i think that they are separeted things... or not? O.o?

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
SamuraiGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
alfu
Regular User

Thanks

I think they are on the same box and they use the same oil (on FWD cars). I saw once the trans. of an Impreza WRX and the front differential was on the same transmission.
alfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
coombsie66
Regular User

The diff was part of teh box, in the clio v6 i saw bing stripped. and thats practically a laguna engine and box turned round and put in the boot!!!
Theres no separate casing in on my car. and the drive shafts exit from either side. So its definately in there. Actually thinking about it, it definately is a part of the grearbox in teh FWD car.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:05 AM   #9
StanAE86
Regular User

A FWD car doesn't have a separate differential in the classic sense of the word, like a RWD car. The differential in RWD (and the REAR diff on an AWD car) changes the direction of the drive. In a RWD car, it changes the direction of the power from the driveshaft (which is north/south facing in the car) to the axles (facing east/west). But a FWD car does have a differential, inside the transmission case. I haven't worked on FWD cars enough to elaborate anymore, but I know that a very worthwhile upgrade on FWD cars is to do an LSD (Quaife is very popular for Honda Civics and the Ford Focus'). I believe that changing the transmission fluid in a FWD car includes the "differential".

In response to the original question, yes, you do want to change the transmission fluid, even when they tell you it's a "lifetime" fluid. That's all BS. While the fluid might resist breakdown better than old style lubricants, there is still the fact that there will be the development of debris in the fluid just from wear and tear on the gears. So, you want to change the fluid and the transmission filter.

50,000 miles is a good number, but like stated above, the harder you drive, the more frequent you should upkeep the fluid.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
RenaultFreak
Regular User

it is advisable to do, be also sure to clean the breathers if any and don't skimp and use a good oil, synthetic if the car is rather new...it's amazing how much crap you can get out of the tranny when you flush it.... :x
RenaultFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:46 AM   #11
mofia77
Regular User

It's actually better to try and stick to the manufacturer's recommended "gear oil" as we call it here...if this is not available..stick to the popular brands. The type of oil you will use will also vary depending on the type of diff you use...whether open diff or lsd.. 8)
Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #12
StanAE86
Regular User

I heard that the new blends of synthetic oils don't affect the rubber seals anymore and that you can go back to dino-oil if you want...I don't know for sure, since I've never gone back...