Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
AlienDB7
Regular User

Default Smart in North America

Okay, this topic isn't new but I can't seem to find the old topic. Hope you guys don't mind ops:

Just heard about the news that Smart cars will be available in north america starting this fall in Canada and 2006 in US. Basically smart roadster and roadster-coupe will be exclusive to the canadian market. Not too sure about pricing yet but I think the "fortwo" has a base price of CAD$16k.

Check out the news clip at http://users.pandora.be/draak666/Mot...%20America.avi
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

Just in case you want to post in the original topic: http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...?p=92691#92691
Old 02-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Tomerville
Regular User

I don't think the smart would be a good car over in America. This is a nation where some people drive big vehicles because they have an inferiority complex, and feel like an SUV makes themselves bigger. Smart's would be bullied, and in general, there isn't much market/appeal for a car such as that...in my opinion at least.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:41 AM   #4
yellow_rice
Regular User

i totally aggree with snowboardertom. there is no market for economical compact cars. i mean look at the hybrids out in north america. not appealling what so ever. the average north american logic is that bigger is better.
1. it can never be too big.
2. even if it is, its better than being too small.
yellow_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
The359
Regular User

Smart would offer a nice alternative to Saturn, which does sell very well in America without being big.