Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-03-2004, 08:56 PM   #1
sentra_dude

Default Jeff Gordon to race M. Schumacher

"
Notebook: NASCAR stars to go wheel-to-wheel with Schumacher

FONTANA, Calif. -- A race fan's dream matchup: NASCAR's Jeff Gordon vs. Formula One's Michael Schumacher.

It will happen Dec. 4, with four-time series champion Gordon and seven-time champion Schumacher entered in the 2004 Race of Champions Nations Cup in Paris.

Gordon and Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jimmie Johnson, who combined to win the Nations Cup in 2002 when it was held in the Canary Islands, will take part in the all-star event along with more top drivers from F1 and the World Rally Championship.

They will race on a special figure-eight style dirt-and-paved track inside Stade de France, a 70,000-seat soccer stadium in Paris. The drivers will compete in single-seater formula cars, Ferrari sports cars and World Rally Championship cars.

The opportunity to race against Schumacher excites Gordon.

"The fact that he's going to be there is great," Gordon said. "I had a chance to meet him earlier this year in Barcelona when Jimmie and I went to the F1 race there. He asked me when I was going to come to F1 and I said as soon as he retired.

"Michael brings a lot of interest to the event. This is definitely an opportunity to go over there and have some fun in a car that's different. The fact that he's over there and I get to go head-to-head against him is going to be awesome, win or lose. I would love to beat him, obviously, but I'm just excited to get to race him."

Gordon and Johnson will attend the NASCAR awards banquet in New York on Dec. 3, then fly all night on a private plane to arrive in Paris in time to race Saturday.

"We'll have to get all the sleep we can on the plane because we're going to have to go straight to the track when we arrive," Gordon said.
"

Sounds very interesting to me... What do you guys think of it?

linky: http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/7642805

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Fantastic. Schumy will crush Gordie. Last time I checked, Gordie does not have 7 Championship trophy from his motorsport. (well, neither does Schumy, but his last trophy is done deal)
Old 09-03-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I think its great. I like Gordon. He has skill, and he showed it with that bastard Montoya at the Indy traiding paints event. He's a gentelman and obviously has respect for others. Win or lose for either doesnt matter, should be a great site.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
vexor
Regular User

That's gonna be a good race. Shumi all the way!!!!

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
Fantastic. Schumy will crush Gordie. Last time I checked, Gordie does not have 7 Championship trophy from his motorsport. (well, neither does Schumy, but his last trophy is done deal)
Dont jump to the conclusion purely on the count of WDCs that each have. Gordon did very well in 2002 - if I remeber - he won every heat of his....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
5vz-fe
Regular User

Sounds like a good race to me too, hope we could see it on TV ........ I will have my money bet on Schumi
Old 09-03-2004, 10:44 PM   #7
X-ale
Regular User

Gos i so wished it were all Nascar cars Don't care about the oval but much more about the happy bumping
Old 09-03-2004, 10:52 PM   #8
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
Hold on there a second...

Gordon has been quite successful in NASCAR...which isn't a walk in the park in terms of competition. Just from a quick search, I found he has 69 wins from 389 starts, beginning in 1992 (he didn't win any races until 1994). He has 5 NASCAR championships...not too shabby I think. Even if you consider NASCAR a pretty boring and worthless series (which I do ), that is quite an achievement for any driver.

Of course Shumie has a much more impressive record, in the pinnacle of racing no less; but it is very hard to compare their results...I am definitely the bigger fan of Shumie, but I also respect Jeff Gordon, and I think he has a good chance of giving Shumie a run for his money .

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:43 AM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

Gordon vs. Schumi, staight away even, but o shit a right turn.......
these races don't prove anything? Schumi is still the best win or lost,
Old 09-04-2004, 01:51 AM   #10
evoWalo
Regular User

Hope someone caps this. Dunno if I'll reach France in time.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:52 AM   #11
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by toronto
Gordon vs. Schumi, staight away even, but o shit a right turn.......
these races don't prove anything? Schumi is still the best win or lost,
$5 says he can outrun you an any track with any car

While I'm not a Nascar fan, I'll give the drivers credit for what they do. Many of them are far more competent drivers than most Nascar haters would ever accept.
Who will win? My bet is on Schumie, but Gordon won't be far behind. Hell, it really wouldn't surprise me if he won.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:07 AM   #12
TT
Regular User

Why the fuck will it be held in Paris and not Canary Islands? that's wrong
Old 09-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #13
sameerrao
Regular User

^^ To attract a bigger audience?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
possessed_beaver
Regular User

ummm

wonder that excuses the losing driver will come up with...
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #15
tuem88
Regular User

I don't know who's gonna win. I know that Gordon is a good driver, but i don't know how good.
But the one who wins will have a hard time to win the complete ROC. The ROC is a race with many other drivers like Sebastian Loeb, Petter Solberg and many other rally drivers, and other drivers.
I hope the Dutch Eurosport will broadcast it again
tuem88 is offline   Reply With Quote