Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 AM   #1
gat
Regular User

Default London Grand Prix

Reading the METRO again today, peoples enthusiasm is still high for a Grand Prix in Central London.

I personally think it would be great, a monoco style race round the streets of london. I wonder how and where they would form the circuit though?

We need a map of london town centre and start making our own ideas?
Any one fancy making a track and posting it ?

Just an idea?
(boredom@work)
gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #2
abbor
Regular User

That would be an amazing grand prix! Over the Tower Bridge, beside the Big Ben and Buckingham Palace.. Great idea, although, maybe a too big thing to accomplish!
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
mindgam3
Regular User

they told you the route on ITV when covering the British GP

i'll try find it
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:17 AM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i heard that it might not work due to the money it would take to bring the circuit up to the FIA's safety standards. along with the fact that closing the streets for a week so they could set up everything would plunge the commuters into chaos.

Even Monaco is behind in the standards but they keep it on the calendar just because of the history and prestige that the race has.

i found that at either formula1.com or f1racing.net. i can't remember at the moment.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

As long as its a big circuit that has potential of overtaking we dont need another Monaco sized track. Monaco is special, its got history and prestige and even with its short comings its the curcuit every driver wants to win.

Also it be more than a week closing the streets, going by Adel and Melb they usually perpare over 1 month in advanced.
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Toronto
Regular User

well even with all the trouble with downforce monaco yet a fan fav. isn't a good track for F1. and i don't know about a london gp, but it would be a good watch, and would bring alot of new fans to f1 just for 1 race.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

It would be amazing to see, and considering the amount of people who turned out for the parade ealier this year compared to what was being expected they be more than enough people to fund it. However closing central london during the week would create alot of problems. Londons transport system is basically already at full capacity and they would have to be many improvements before the race could be held there. Lets hope it gets sorted
Old 09-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

Altho it is very exciting to watch F1 cars in city circuits, it will be like Monaco where it is very hard to overtake. That said, I am in support for London GP, I am after all an audience
Old 09-30-2004, 12:08 AM   #9
CSedl87
Regular User

That would be awesome of they did that. IMHO it wouldn't hurt London as much as you guys say it would. They the subway (aka the tube), buses, taxis, and alot of people walk/bicycle. The streets would still be open while it's setup, but during the races/practices it's close, after the latter they're re-opened so the 'damage' is minimum. I think they should do it, it'd be the best next to monaco.
"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think 'okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high" - Ayrton Senna
CSedl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
tekwar
Regular User

like everyone has said, it would be really nice to see a race in london, but from a spectator point of view, i rather see it on a track like sepang. Having watched from the sepang track and the half street course in melbourne, the sepang track is by far the better place to watch as a fan. The viewing spots in albert park isnt good, there isnt much excitement. The sepang track on the other hand, even sitting on the general admission area, you get to see so much of the race, and there is so much more action to be witnessed on the purpose built track.

Although the crowd in melbourne is much better, you dont get to see much of the race with the flat viewing spots they have there. I rather spend my AUS 600 and buy a grandstand ticket in sepang than in albert park. I reckon the same can be said if they host a race in london city.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #11
stracing
Regular User

but the sounds reverberating off the walls must be exhilirating
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #12
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

Sad enough, I think that's just a rumour to focus more attention to F1.

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:56 PM   #13
FerrariKiller
Regular User

You still have the same problem in London as you do in Silverstone. That is coming up with the cash to keep Bernie and the tobacco companies happy. For some reason an F1 race in Britain doesn't bring in the cash it needs to survive, and the government has made it clear that it won't pick up the tab (unless the city of London has a different attitude and deep pockets). I think Bernie has no interest in starting another F1 race in a country that doesn't allow tobacco sponsorships unless it's in the US(because the US GP makes lot's of money with zero government help).

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #14
mindgam3
Regular User

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31294
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31292

looks like british gp "may" be back on track.

It would be a shame to see the home of F1 not even have a race in their own country
Old 10-07-2004, 08:04 PM   #15
Ill Dottore
Regular User

I got some pics from the London gathhering. That's the proyect for making the F1 track in London

Anyone interested?

Ill Dottore is offline   Reply With Quote