Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 04-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

id hope GM, as well as the rest of the auto manufacturers shy away from this awful technology
I disagree. Only from the stand point that dod might be the only thing that saves the corvette. Current talks of raising cafe standards(see that felching dick weasel kerry) could potentially ruin the vette as a performance option. So while in the short run I don't see the necesssity. Protecting the future by developing technologies that can be used later in such occurances.. I think they are on the right track.

For the same reason I think they would be fools to ignore this type of technology and hybrids. Does that mean it will work? Who knows? Should it be first introduced in a vette? who knows? It certainly should be used in a car though.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 02:31 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

For the same reason I think they would be fools to ignore this type of technology and hybrids. Does that mean it will work? Who knows? Should it be first introduced in a vette? who knows? It certainly should be used in a car though
this is an interesting point. i agree that hybrid technology is far from a bad thing for the auto industry, i just cant see it being a performance option. i do however strongly believe that H2 as a fuel source is the future of performance vehicles... time will tell. i know FoMoCo has been researching Hydrogen more extensively, and in conjuntion with a few universities. current technologies show hydrogen running between the 40% and 60% efficiancy ratings--- far beyond that of conventional foscil fuels. the blue oval has stated to its engineers that they may not have to, but it is thier responsibility to evolv this change into reality.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:34 PM   #18
number77
Regular User

are you talking about a camless engine? there are many rumors about 3-valve heads. there also have been rumors about the more exotic technologies. some of those include a camless engine, dual rotor brakes, and some alloy block.
number77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #19
T-Bird
Regular User

why would there be rumors about 3-Valve heads? they're available already in Ford motors just like 4 and even 5 with Audi! And no they are not Camless they just shut off the lifters.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #20
number77
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
why would there be rumors about 3-Valve heads? they're available already in Ford motors just like 4 and even 5 with Audi! And no they are not Camless they just shut off the lifters.
well, you can't take heads off of those and put them on an ls1-2
those cars use overhead cams. there are cars with 3-4 valve heads with daul overhead cams and what not. the ls2 is also bigger than the others and is a pushrod motor.
number77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:18 PM   #21
Nocturn
Regular User

A camless engine uses actuators to push/pull open the valves, GM experimented with this but has said they weren't going to use it because it had reliability issues or something to that extent.

Mayhap I am overestimating Dod, but tell me what all is involved in shutting down the cylinders, fuel and spark being cut out is all computer controlled, so where in is the complexity, the valves will still open but no fuel will be delivered, and no spark will ignite. Seems simple to me, but I could be overlooking something.
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:54 PM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Only from the stand point that dod might be the only thing that saves the corvette. Current talks of raising cafe standards(see that felching dick weasel kerry) could potentially ruin the vette as a performance option.
Nonsense - it will simply mean the Vette will no longer be the "poor mans super car" and be priced to reflect the vastly reduced produciton numbers, increased performance and extra taxes that making it a Viper price-bracket machine will do...

With sedans already pushing 500hp+ and 0-60 in 4 and 5 seconds, - why would only the Vette be at risk?

Most other hyper/super/fast cars suck gas like a cheap hooker... and face no more restrictions than the Vette.

Kerry is stupid dumbass if he thinks that "Laws" can scare profit away... the insurance industry has more chance of reining in cars performance than any group of tree-hugging liberals...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #23
graywolf624
Regular User

With sedans already pushing 500hp+ and 0-60 in 4 and 5 seconds, - why would only the Vette be at risk?

Most other hyper/super/fast cars suck gas like a cheap hooker... and face no more restrictions than the Vette.
I think you missed the point. I am pointing to a situation similar to what happened between 75-82, albeit instead of due to gas prices, very possibly influenced by cafe. This fear has been reflected to me by several upper level gm executives(that the corvette and cars like it may get snuffed out by this jackassery). It would effect all performance vehicles. The point is that hopefully all manufacturers involved are thinking enough ahead to side step such problems. The environmentalists are the fear. In fact.. insurance companies are little to no fear with the vette. Vette insurance is alot lower then the corresponding camaro, mustang, ect insurance because of the ownership demographic.

Kerry is stupid dumbass if he thinks that "Laws" can scare profit away... the insurance industry has more chance of reining in cars performance than any group of tree-hugging liberals...
You must not have been in the US when catalytic converters and cafe first got enacted. Performance cars from 1976-1982 are not just jokes because no one could afford the gas.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote