Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM   #1
666fast
Regular User

Default American LeMans Series 2005

The latest on ALMS for those that care:

Dyson has switched to Michelin tires. That should make a huge difference for them. Most people dont' realize this, but the Dyson is faster than the Audi R8. The difference was that the R8's tires would be up to temp in less than a lap whereas it took a couple laps for the Dyson to warm up. Since ALMS rules say you can't change tires while refueling, they can save time there. The R8's didn't need to change tires and the Dyson did!
The ACEMCO Saleens have also switched from Pirelli's to Michelin. This should make them far more competitive with the Corvette C6R's.

Here is a very tentative entry list. Take it for what it's worth, it can and most likely will change.

LMP1

2x Champion Racing Audi R8
2x Dyson Racing Team Inc. Lola B01/60 AER

LMP2

2x Miracle Motorsports Courage AER- the Courage C65 rules
1x Intersport Racing Lola B05/40 Judd
1x Intersport Racing Lola B2K/50 Judd
1x Van der Steur Racing Inc. Lola B2K/40 AER
1x Marshall Cooke Racing Lola B2K/40 Millington

GT1

2x Corvette Racing Corvette C6.R
2x Yager Corvette C5-R- (yup, the C5R's are a private team now, should be interesting)
1x ACEMCO Motorsports Saleen S7-R
?x Labre Ferrari 550 (Will run Sebring, more info below)

GT2

2x Alex Job Racing Porsche 911 GT3-RSR
2x Flying Lizard Motorsports 911 GT3-RSR
2x J-3 Racing 911 GT3-RSR
2x Panoz Motor Sports Panoz Esperante eGT-LM
1x Risi Competizione Ferrari 360 GTC
1x BAM! 911 GT3-RSR
1x White Lightning Racing 911 GT3-RSR
1x PK Sport 911 GT3-RSR

Some other possible entries:

LMP1
2X Panoz/Courage C70 (More info below)
1x Impressed Creation DBA Zytek (will race Petite, Sebring and Leguna, maybe more)

1x Rollcenter Dallara (possibly 2 cars at Sebring)

1x Lister LMP (If it does race, it'll probably be Sebring only)

LMP2

1x Tracsport Courage C65 AER (Sebring definately)

1x Intersport Racing Lola B05/40 Judd

1x Intersport Racing Lola B2K/50 Judd

1x Van der Steur Racing Inc. Lola B2K/40 AER

2x Marhall Cooke Racing Lola B2K/40 Millionton

GT1

2x AF Corse Maserati MC12 (see below)

?x Reiter Engineering Lamborghini R-GT

2x Aston Martin DBR9's (read below)

GT2

lots of possible entries, lots of Porsches

The Aston will most likely only run Sebring. If they run any other races, it'll probably be at Petit and Leguna. I wouldn't count on a full season untill 2006.

Who knows whats going on with the Maserati MC12. Whoever ran one in FIA GT supposedly won't enter next year since it's not legal anymore. If they want to run in ALMS, the body has to be shorter and thinner to meet the rules. If they want to run one at LeMans, they have to run at Sebring. So, I wouldn't count on seeing one in ALMS or at LeMans.

Courage is building an all new P1 car, the L70, who knows when we'll see it though. If the C65 is any indication, it should be a good car. The supposed Panoz/Courage entry is a complete rumor. Yves Courage doesn't confim it. The L70 P1 hybrid still hasn't been built and they would have to enter it in LMES first. I am excited to see how it performs, but I do not think we'll see one in ALMS this year.

No one knows what Carsport is doing. They said that 2004 would be the last year for the Viper apprently. They weren't confident that they would recieve the funding for a new car either. Guess we'll never see that Zonda then huh? LOL

Labre will run at Sebring. No one knows how many cars, but 2 cars would probably be the max.

At one time, Rahal was said to enter a Ferrari 550, but it seems thats been crossed off the list. No one seems to know if Rahal will have anything to do with ALMS this year.

I'll try to keep this list updated, but Sebring makes it confusing since so many of the teams will race there and no where else. LOL

In other news:
BMW has homologated the 6 series for GT1 racing.
Don't expect to see them anytime soon, 2007 at the earliest. I'm pretty excited and I really hope to see one in the ALMS in the future. Hopefully that new V10 can give the Vettes a run for their money. Thats assuming it'll be run in the ALMS by someone. LOL
BMW is seeking rule breaks so they can run competitively against Ferrari 550's and Aston DBR9's, etc. The car is not only heavy, but i's a 4 seater coupe. I wish them the best of luck, just don't let it become a repeat of the M3GTR.

All in all, Sebring seems like it's going to be one hell of an event. I wish I could make it down there. I suppose there is a chance, but I'm not counting on it! The ALMS overall is looking pretty good next season. I'm definately looking forward to it.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

To be honest I lost all hope in alms. From the bad, LMP only TV coverage, to the lack of to cars, to the poor condition tracks :cry:
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
To be honest I lost all hope in alms. From the bad, LMP only TV coverage, to the lack of to cars, to the poor condition tracks :cry:
Lst years entry list was rather shitty, but it seems it's going to be a lot better this year.
I can't comment much on the TV coverage. I can only watch network races since I don't have Speed Channel. My only complaint is the crappy announcers. Plus, I'm a huge P1 and P2 fan.
As for poor track conditions, I think you are nuts.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #4
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Dude look at how FIA GT tracks looks like, look at how F1 tracks look like....I mean the grass looks nasty, the tracks are of different colour throuought... It just doesnt look right when you have a beautiful c5r running on this ugly ass track...

I dont mean that tracks have pot holes and stuff, they just look nasty.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:11 AM   #5
666fast
Regular User

Dude look at how FIA GT tracks looks like, look at how F1 tracks look like....I mean the grass looks nasty, the tracks are of different colour throuought... It just doesnt look right when you have a beautiful c5r running on this ugly ass track...

I dont mean that tracks have pot holes and stuff, they just look nasty.
Grass depends on location. Maybe an area is in a drought?

Different colors happen due to patching. It's usually far less money to patch then to replace. Also, F1 has obscenely high standards as far as road surface goes.
Not waching a race because the track isn't pretty is pretty stupid!
666fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
I though in America there were only oval tracks...
LOL, we do have more than a handfull of those, but there are a few great tracks scattered about!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:17 AM   #7
stracing
Regular User

road america and laguna seca are some i'd like to drive on. i'm sure there are more but the only circuits i know are the ones shown during the cart season.

the cleveland round is pretty mad too but thats not permanent
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 02:09 AM   #8
gearhead250gto
Regular User

Thank you 666. By the way, while we're talking about tracks and racing, I've raced on the Daytona 24 hour track.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:25 AM   #9
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by gearhead250gto
Thank you 666. By the way, while we're talking about tracks and racing, I've raced on the Daytona 24 hour track.
I'll be posting an updated list soon, a few things have changed. How was driving there?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:21 PM   #10
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
When the racing is lame and the coverage is extremly LMP class biased any little thing can make a difference for me...drop some badass GTS's in it, and I dont give a shit what they race on, they can do it on the beach for all I care.

I just find it extremly boring watching LMP900, 675 race....too much grip and not enough attitude.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:52 AM   #11
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
When the racing is lame and the coverage is extremly LMP class biased any little thing can make a difference for me...drop some badass GTS's in it, and I dont give a shit what they race on, they can do it on the beach for all I care.

I just find it extremly boring watching LMP900, 675 race....too much grip and not enough attitude.
You know, back in Nascars early days, they actually did race on the beach! LOL

Anyway, as far as the GT1 class goes, it'll only be marginally better this year. 2006 should be a very good season.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:54 AM   #12
FerrariKiller
Regular User

Thanks for the information 666. I haven't taken the time to follow alms news recently. Hopefully, Dyson will be able to continue to challenge the Audis this season, they've had some great battles. I was able to go to the inagural alms race at limerock last season and it was spectacular. I had a ton of fun at that race and hope to return for more.

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:20 AM   #13
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by FerrariKiller
Thanks for the information 666. I haven't taken the time to follow alms news recently. Hopefully, Dyson will be able to continue to challenge the Audis this season, they've had some great battles. I was able to go to the inagural alms race at limerock last season and it was spectacular. I had a ton of fun at that race and hope to return for more.
I've been to the Road America race a few times now, I don't plan on missing any from now on! LOL
Dyson should be able to more than simply challenge the Audi's, they should be able to beat them. The Dyson is a faster car, it outqualifies the Audi regularly. The big difference were the tires.
A team cannot change tires while re-fueling. So Dyson would have to refuel and then change the tires. Which ate up valueable time. Whereas the Audi's didn't need to change their tires at all! Simply refuel and go!
The Audi's are also running smaller intake restrictors this year, which should also give Dyson a better chance. I hope to see the Audi's dethroned, especially since it's their last year! LOL

The Audi's have one hell of a record, 52 podium finishes out of 62 races I believe it is. But, it's hardly surprising seeing how little competition they've had outside of LeMans.

BTW, I'm almost done with the entry list. I'm making it simple by doing a seperate entry list for Sebring from full season entries. It's a pain in the ass with all the rumors flying about.

One of the best rumors so far, is extending the race at Road America!
Basically, the big races are at the beginning or the end, with filler in the middle. By changing the RA race midseason, people will pay more attention. What I read, was extending it to a 6 hour race running into the night. Which should get it far more attention. I wouldn't count on it happening in 2005 though. 2006 at the earliest. All I can say is, good! Since it's the race I got to, I'd love for it to run into the night!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:53 AM   #14
dons5
Regular User

Its funny how things could be so different from series to series. The 550 dominates FIA GT but has much closer competition in ALMS, and the 360's are right there with the Porsches in FIA GT but in ALMS im not too sure there right up there with Porsche yet. I like FIA GT better, to me its the F1 of Sports car racing. Too bad the races arent 1 and a half hours like F1, instead of 3 hours. But i heard that might change this year. I also heard the FIA GT cars were a whopping 3 seconds a lap faster then their ALMS counter parts (ex. 550 vs 550 360 vs 360 etc etc.) and that the FIA GT cars will be slowed down significantly next year too.

And its the same ting with the tires in ALMS u guys were sayin that Michelin cleary dominates Pirelli but in FIA GT isnt it a bit more even? one suited more for outright speed and one suited more for lasting longer??
Old 12-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #15
666fast
Regular User

And its the same ting with the tires in ALMS u guys were sayin that Michelin cleary dominates Pirelli but in FIA GT isnt it a bit more even? one suited more for outright speed and one suited more for lasting longer??
I honestly dont' know, but I can't imagine a huge difference. Same cars doing the same thing afterall. But yes, Michelin does dominate Pirelli. Dyson wasn't the only team to switch to them in the ALMS this year. The ACEMCO Saleen did too.

and the 360's are right there with the Porsches in FIA GT but in ALMS im not too sure there right up there with Porsche yet
The Risi 360 from last year was very under funded. They didn't even make the whole season. Porsches program with ALMS seems to be much much better than Ferrari's. From what I can tell, Ferrari wasn't involved much at all. Whereas, I think they are in FIA.

I also heard the FIA GT cars were a whopping 3 seconds a lap faster then their ALMS counter parts (ex. 550 vs 550 360 vs 360 etc etc.) and that the FIA GT cars will be slowed down significantly next year too
The rules between FIA and ALMS are a bit different, so it is possible. I think there has been some recent rule chages in FIA, and thats whats causing cars to slow down. The LeMans Endurance Series is taking offect on FIA's entries as well.

If I could have one question answered right now, I'd like to know what the hell Maserati is up too? The car is now illegal for FIA GT (too long, too wide) and if they wanted to run at Lemans, the ACO said they had to race at Sebring. As far as I can tell, they have no intention of racing at Sebring. There is still time to enter, but a factory effort usually lets it's intentions be known well in advance.
Also, what are they going to do with the MC12's? They were not cheap, not at all, and I find it hard to believe they haven't built a new, rule complying version. If they haven't, some team owners are gonna be mighty pissed off.

In other ALMS news, there is a American company entering an all new P1 car. They built the car themselves, so the car is entirely new. Thats all that has been said. No names, no engine choice, nothing. Just that it's an american company that has raced before and they built an all new car that will contest a full season. Secrets suck.