Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-28-2004, 05:33 AM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default More trash talk from Patrick Head

From Planet-F1.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Head slams Ferrari's race antics
Monday June 28 2004

Williams' Director of Engineering Patrick Head has slammed Ferrari's statement that they allow their drivers to race each other by saying it looks like a sham to him.

Head was referring to the USGP were Rubens was much faster than Michael through the weekend, but on race day Michael was able to out-run Rubens very easily.

"It's only supposition, but Rubens (Barrichello) appeared to have a clear performance advantage over Michael (Schumacher) at Indy - and all of a sudden in the race it disappeared."

Barrichello came second to Schumacher in both the Canadian and United States races, despite looking at times as if he could claim the victories. He also set the fastest lap times in both races.

Head believes Barrichello’s inability to beat the World Champ might not be his fault.

"When Williams or McLaren have been in that position in the past, the seasons retained their interest because you knew the drivers wouldn't give each other an inch. Ferrari say they let their drivers race, but it clearly looks a bit of a sham," said Head.

"I don't respect them, because they've put themselves in a position of dominance, but their sole motivation appears to be self-interest, rather than the interests of F1," added Head.

Head admits that it bothers him, but that he is not going to let Ferrari get the better of him.

"It does make me angry, but I'm not going to waste energy over it, because clearly the FIA accepts it and clearly it is a positive-active decision by Ferrari to operate in that way. It sounds rather 'holier than thou', but I happen to believe we have an obligation to race," concluded Head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Given such a "sucessful" first half of 2004 from Williams, I think Head
should do less talk and go back on the drawing board and take away that
ugly nose cone of the car. Oh, and be sure to have an FIA rule book
next to the drawing board just incase that Canada incident happens again.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:54 AM   #2
chipanggo
Regular User

Come on, Mr. Head. Don't blame Ferrari for their dominance. It's not for them to slow down, it's for you other teams to catch up. Every team's motivation in F1 or in motor racing is to do your best and try to win. I don't understand what Patrick Head means by Ferrari's motivation is not to F1's interest. I think he's just sour graping.
chipanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
jorge
Regular User

Ferrari is by far the best team, and there´s nothing Williams can do about it, but i´m also beggining to think it´s a sham. (I realy liked the way MS passed RB in the US grand prix, but now i don´t know if it was a clean pass or not).
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
stradale
Regular User

Originally Posted by Patrick [i
with his[/i] Head up his arse]"I don't respect them, because they've put themselves in a position of dominance, but their sole motivation appears to be self-interest, rather than the interests of F1"
Seldom did someone say something this stupid. Is he talking about F1 or about a knitting competition for charity?
Old 06-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

^^^ Totally agree!!! I bet if they were to dominate, they would do the same thing anyways.....
Old 07-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #6
3D_CARD
Regular User

Patrick Head is the JPM of engineering side -- he knows nothing about respecting other people's hard work. :shock:

Of course it's hard for him to accept the fact his best time as an F1 engineer is already past. Hope their young Sam Michael will have bring the awesome Williams back :roll:
Old 07-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
SPAD
Regular User

I would like to see the two ferraris duke it out but shit,hasnt this guy ever heard of strategy.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

i actually agree with head on this one...

since i was at the race, i saw some amazing laps by both amazing drivers. clearly, in the first half (predominantly, after the pace car left the field) michael shumacher was setting near, or the fasted lap each lap, and gaining massive time ahead of no. 2 rubens.

but when M. S. had his pit, rubens easily passed, and gained almost 20 seconds on M.S. due to shumacher not having such brilliant lap times (more wieght due to fuel?)

after that, Berrichello pitted, and was held the entire 20 seconds... just in time for M.S. to pass R. B. on the exit of the pit... then in turn 1 and 2, Rubens clearly had the better line, and would have passed had M. S. not closed in on the turn early, cutting him off. they were neck and neck for about 10 laps after that... all the while Takuma was performing amazing passes, and setting fastest laps to make an amazing leap to podium.