Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 01-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #1
blinkmeat
Regular User

Default RIP Jonny

For those who haven't heard Johnny Carson died today. I never even saw a show of his, but if you're able to inspire the likes of Letterman and Leno than you must be doing something right.

May he Rest in Peace
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

aww, dammit. TV loses yet another historic personality. RIP Johnny

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
FoxFour
Regular User

I remember the first time I was allowed to stay up late to watch Johnny. I was like 'Wow, so this is what it's like to be an adult' I was watching Fox News when they were interviewing friends of his. First one I hear is Soupy Sales and it sounds to me like he was dumbstruck about Johnny's death and then I realized it, this guy is really old now and he isn't dumbstruck, he's frail and all his faculties just aren't there. This guys gonna go next. Next up was comedian Jackie Mason. Man, that guy talked and talked, but he had a lot of info about the man Johhny Carson, the things that he told him off stage and such.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Vansquish
Regular User

RIP indeed...Johnny had the sort of class and sudden, unpredictable wit that Letterman, Leno and the rest of their modern compatriots are lacking. My grandpa recorded the last 3 or 4 shows that Johnny aired and those are the only ones I've really gotten to see, I've never laughed so hard about anything else.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
FoxFour
Regular User

He died of emphysema. Isn't that usually the result of smoking cigarettes? I remembered when he smoked but I thought maybe after retirement he would quit. Man, my grandfather died from that and he suffered to his last dying breath. Jackie
Mason said that about 6 months prior to his death he was fortunate enough to talk to him on the phone. At that time Johnny was a bit of a recluse and did not really talk to anyone, much less someone on the phone. He said that according to his conversation with him that Jackie knew from the way he was talking that something was up. The way that he was talking to him was like it was the last time he was going to hear from him. He said that life was good and when Jackie pressed on a little he said again that nothing was wrong.
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:03 AM   #6
komotar
Regular User

He was a living legend.

Defined comedy as we know it in some ways.

RIP

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote