Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Default Starting my career in Motorsport with Shifter Karts!

I've been holding out on making a post about this great opprotunity that sort of fell into my lap in the past couple weeks.

It all started back in Highschool when I met Tom Davey, a professional racer from the 70's (look him up, he raced VW Sciraccos in the 80s and Formula 2's in the 70's). I met him through a friend who was neighbors with him. A bunch of kids I knew from highschool would go over his house regularly to hang out and chill.

Everytime I was over there I would talk to him about racing and cars and get him to show off his Garage of memorabilia (sp?) and toys. (F2 and Karts)

He aquired the karts for free from his racing buddies who didn't really have use for them anymore. Throughout highschool he was always ready to start working on them to get them back on the track but none of the people he knew actually pushed him to do so.

So years go by, I go off to college and loose touch with him.

About a month ago I went to a local indoor Karting track just outside of Boston. I was always itching to go, and I finally got motivated to go with a couple of my friends. It was a blast, I felt the itch to go faster and faster, and practice anychance I got.

After that day I kept thinking about how I could get into racing and karting seemed like the most economical step for me.

And then I remembered Tom Davey and his karts. I tracked down his number through one of my friends and gave him a ring.

I was shocked to find out that the karts were still there, and still haven't been used.

I went down to NY that weekend and had a long talk with him about what I wanted to do and what he wanted to do.

Long story short (I know I've rambled on enough), He's retired, getting older, and doing nothing but drinking wine every day. Sure it sounds nice, but he's bored and does not want to get drunk all day long anymore.

He would much rather make use of the "Toys" that are just collecting dust in his garage.

So basically He has basically given me part ownership over the karts and we are both going to get them back on the track for use.

He is still close with many of the "Big Dogs" in Motorsport (in the US). Hopefully I can make the time to meet with them like he plans.

My goal out of all of this is to join a Racing Team, not as a driver but as a Computer Engineer working with Telemetry.
But we're also going to see just how fast I am.

I have completely "fell into shit" as Tom says. The karts are there for me to use, he has all the connections I would ever need to get started.

I am currently signed up for an Advanced Karting class tomorrow in upstate New York (just bout an hour north of NYC), hopefully the weather will be good cause I am calling in sick for work that day..

If all goes according to plan, we will have telemetry setup on the kart within a couple months so I can play around with it and improve my speed.
Getting the datalogging equipment for the kart will be a major step towards getting an internship with a Racing team.

Here are some photos I took in his garage while we talked.

100cc Kart driven by Emerson in the background. 125cc Shifter Kart I will be racing

Tom Davey and his F2

The 125cc beast

His Formula 2 - Racing before the help of computer engine managment and traction control.

More pics at http://www.putanginaka.net/photoalbu...4.01.nyweekend

I have also have Hi-res if anyone is interested..

If anyone has any experience with Karting or Telemetry, OR has connections with racing teams, let me know
Old 04-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

Great to hear about this Flex .. Best of luck to you ... Im sure it will be more fun than working in Corporate IT per se.

Also great to hear about your entry into racing Dani ... hope you get the right breaks and move on up the racing ladder.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
ARMAN
Regular User

Man this is GREAT! I hope it will work out good and he will teach you to be a champ

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

Great news! good luck man!!

BTW- i haven't been in kart for a long time now.. and i just got some free tickets so it seems i'll be karting soon.. gotta love it.. so much fun.. last time i always gave it too much stick in the out of the corner just to get the rear out just a bit.. fun.. pure fun..

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Thanks guys So far everything seems to be going just as planned! Advanced Karting class was real fun in the Rain but sadly the class was cut short beacuse it didnt stop raining and we were on slicks. But I learned some nice kart control. I'll be back there on the 20th of May to finish up the course. I'll post some pics in the "What You Saw Today" topic..

Dani, Your story is ridiculous! Talk about landing in some shit.. You just hopped right into a race car! Seems everything is going well (you did buy a new Clio)

Hearing how regular people (aka non richie rich daddy boys) get into their racing careers. Tom Davey's is a good one. Basically he makes his own engine and car using kitchen tools and whatever he could find in his garage, gets 2nd place in his first race and gets picked up by a couple people. Of course back then (he's 64 now) things were very different in motorsport..

May 6th will be our first test run of the 125cc beast. We're gonna get the 100cc yamaha on the track too. Hopefully all goes well and I get to start taming that monster.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
TNT
Regular User

man to be so lucky, i would love to get into some sort of racing. best of luck and god speed