Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 01-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
sentra_dude

Default -2005 Porsche 911 Carrera Test Drive-

Well, I finally hit the jackpot and got to drive a real sports-car, and what a car! Hands-down the best car I have ever driven. 8) The gentleman who owned the car is a real car enthusiast and a really nice guy, and previously owned a 1998 Boxster (which he traded in for this), saying "I went nuts this time."

The car was silver with the 5 spoke Porsche rims (very simple and nice looking) the 6 speed manual transmission, and a navigation system (cool but why bother in my opinion).

Luckily the weather held up and we went for a drive on some great roads. I rode in the passenger seat for about 5 minutes before we pulled over and switched seats... It was pretty intimidating to go from passenger to driver of this Porsche, but the seat was comfortable, the gear shift was just where you'd want it, and the steering wheel felt great in my hands. The clutch was lighter than I was expecting and the pedals were quite close to each other. The clutch was easy to modulate, definitely easier than in other Porsches I have driven. Once you get moving you notice just how solid the car feels, and how it just does not lean. It really inspires confidence, and makes you want to push the car.

Luckily we were on some excellent twisting roads so I could get a feel for the cornering; which, in a word, was amazing, and I know I didn't even come close to the limit. The car has a great sound, and I was really impressed with the gearbox, even after just a few minutes of driving I felt comfortable with it, and it had short throws and a great feel.

On to the engine...amazing as well. The engine sounds great (if a bit quiet), revs freely, has nice torque, and it really moves the car. The engine certainly can't match the torque of the Corvette's engine, but it makes up for that in refinement. The car just...goes in 2nd and 3rd gear (the only two gears I was really using) and has instantaneous throttle response.

The whole car really impressed me by how cohesive it was, not only did it do everything, it did everything well...really well. The car just felt like it was made from one solid piece of metal, this car's chasis must be very stiff...

Overall the best car I have ever driven, and I'd say the best car I've driven in all the specific categories as well; best engine, best gearbox, best steering, best handling, even best interior (although I wasn't crazy about the seats)...I could go on and on... I was maybe a little disappointed that the engine lacked the same exciting sound as the C4S I drove, but I'll chalk that up to the civilized stock exhaust...which could easily be rectified.

A C6 Corvette is definitely going to have a tough time matching this car...but if someone wants to let me drive theirs I'd be happy to find out and report on it.

Finally I have a pic,

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 AM   #2
Evo
Regular User

From the pic I can see this is a normal 997 not the S version..And I do support your opinion about the 997.. But you had to drive the S version.. With that Sport button which open up a valve in the exhaust and gives that astonishing sound.. I test drove a 997S AND A 9974S with a manual stick and I put down a deposit on one hehehe..

I onces drove a friend C6.. Well did not push it at all because it was in the brake in period but boy is that hood very long.. Maybe because I am short but I could not see much all I saw was 2 hoops from the fenders and 1 in the middle of the hood.. But to be honest the new corvette will beat the 997 and the 997S in a straight line by far and I also heard that it can corner well so lets hope it does with all that power..

Glade that you liked the 997 and now we need more pix.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo
I onces drove a friend C6.. Well did not push it at all because it was in the brake in period but boy is that hood very long.. Maybe because I am short but I could not see much all I saw was 2 hoops from the fenders and 1 in the middle of the hood.. But to be honest the new corvette will beat the 997 and the 997S in a straight line by far and I also heard that it can corner well so lets hope it does with all that power..

The 997 and 997S are nice to look at, and like all 911's quite engaging - but underpowered.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
stmoritzer
Regular User

Congrats to your drive
Nice read, I didn't drove any 997 , only once a 993 (ten years ago :roll: )

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Evo
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by Evo

The 997 and 997S are nice to look at, and like all 911's quite engaging - but underpowered.
Yes the 997 and the 997S are underpower but wait until the 997TT and the 997 GT2 comes out then your in trouble..
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
TransAm
Regular User

Never driven a 911, yet, but I get more of a feeling for what is must be like reading your review, so thanks for that!

Seats always looked pretty nice in Porsches to me, only sat on Boxster seats so far though.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo
Originally Posted by Evo

Yes the 997 and the 997S are underpower but wait until the 997TT and the 997 GT2 comes out then your in trouble..
We weren't in trouble when the previous 911TT came out when the C5 Z06 had 385hp and 405hp... and no that the C6 Z06 has 505hp (and I have 475hp) we are still not worried...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
sentra_dude

Thanks for the replies!

Evo - this one had Porsche Active Stability Management, which was pretty cool, I could definitely feel a difference in the throttle response and ride when it was turned to the sport setting, but the car was so crisp even on the normal setting it didn't make a huge difference.

RC - underpowered isn't the word I'd use, I'd reserve that for cars like my Celica , but a bit more power definitely wouldn't hurt on that car.

------------
Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
1zippo1
Regular User

That's a great oppotunity indeed!!

PSM is one of the big critisims of the car reviewers because you can't totally switch it off but when I was driving the 997 3.6 cabrio I was very very glad that it had all of those electronic shit.

What do you call underpowered? I don't really mind that Porsche doesn't follow the big hp war that mainly Mercedes initiated... Ok, the basic 3.6 997 325hp is too close to the 320hp the 996 had. But 355hp is plenty IMO. And it's like they all say, it's the way it can put down that power on the road!
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

^^ 3200 pounds of weight and only 355hp is why the 0-60mph is so slow

HP makes a huge difference - even on a short track like Tsukaba in anything but rain.

There is a reason why the GT2 is as good as it is, and it is not because it has a lack of power.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
That's a great oppotunity indeed!!

PSM is one of the big critisims of the car reviewers because you can't totally switch it off but when I was driving the 997 3.6 cabrio I was very very glad that it had all of those electronic shit.

What do you call underpowered? I don't really mind that Porsche doesn't follow the big hp war that mainly Mercedes initiated... Ok, the basic 3.6 997 325hp is too close to the 320hp the 996 had. But 355hp is plenty IMO. And it's like they all say, it's the way it can put down that power on the road!
You actually can turn the PSM off fully. I think you may be thinking about MB or Audi's TCS system. Once the new Turbo/GT2 come out with VTG it will eat the competition.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
Banchi105
Regular User

HP makes a huge difference - even on a short track like Tsukaba in anything but rain.

There is a reason why the GT2 is as good as it is, and it is not because it has a lack of power.
Power isn't everything. Driving excitement counts for alot too!
Banchi105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Banchi105

Power isn't everything. Driving excitement counts for alot too!
Not true... controlled power is everthing... as I say, there is a reason why the GT2 is a great car, and it's not becaus it is under powered...

If power was not important, then why do the manufacturers ratchet power up each year as they improve their cars?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #14
sentra_dude

On the topic of the Carrera S vs Carrera, the owner said he test drove both, and liked the Carrera more, and the difference in power was barely noticeable on the street. Hey, which-ever, it doesn't matter that much to me...I am happy I got to drive a 911, much less a 997! 8)

------------
Old 01-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

On the topic of the Carrera S vs Carrera, the owner said he test drove both, and liked the Carrera more, and the difference in power was barely noticeable on the street. Hey, which-ever, it doesn't matter that much to me...I am happy I got to drive a 911, much less a 997!
St-anger said the exact same thing somewhere about prefering the 997 C2 vs. the 997 C2S.... in black.

anyway, the GT2 is simply friggin crazy, the GT3 is narrow, but is amazing... and a GT3 w/ a gt2 engine = perfect