Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 07-30-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
sentra_dude

Default 2004 Porsche C4S Cabrio Test Drive

8)

So today I went over to the Porsche-Audi dealer to have a look at their stock. They have some very nice cars there, 997 6spd & tiptronic, 50th Aniversery Boxster S, which looks very nice, lots of Cayennes :roll:, 996 turbo (very nice), and a couple of 996 Cabrios, of which two were C4S. The salesman seemed to really like the black C4S they had (now I know why ), even though it was used, it was better than the brand new one sitting next to it. It had a bunch of options that I didn't care about, except for one...some kind of exhaust bypass valve ...

At first I was not too exicted about a Cabrio (heavier, not as stiff, blah blah), but I figured hey, its still a Porsche; and when he offered to let me drive it, I definitely wasn't going to say no. 8)

Well, we started off with me in the passenger seat (I was glad it was that way, I didn't want to have to drive an $85K Porsche right off the bat). The first thing he did was show me the difference between the exhaust on the 'queit' and the 'loud' setting, holy crap that is worth every penny! Then we put the top down, and pulled out. As soon as we got a little window in traffic...we rolled out, and got up to about 2500 or 3000rpm, and BAM he floored it, and holy shit that thing pulls! It really puts you back in the seat...you can feel the torque. He went all the way to the top of 2nd gear and then some of 3rd, that thing is freaking fast. Another thing you notice...Cabrio+exhaust valve thingie=really, really awesome sound. Whew, that car is planted, and the sound is just amazing! Even though I used to be somewhat anti-Cabrios; my opinion has definitely changed...it's pretty sweet to be in the open air and hear the engine at full throttle.

We drove some more, and then came the important pull-off...time for me to drive this beast. Right after I got into the driver's seat;
"You've driven a manual before right?"
Hahah, fortunately yes I had. The seating position is nice, the gear shift is in easy reach, the steering wheel feels great, and of course the tach is just about the only instrument you see...the way it should be. 8) The pedals were a little close for my taste, but the clutch was a nice effort, not too much, but enough to feel like it was a powerful car (324hp to be exact ). It was kind of a dicey place to pull out and do my first start-off, but I managed. I of course was pretty easy, and shifted around 2500rpm up into third...which brought some objections from the salesman;
"Come on, see what it can do."
I dropped it down to 2nd and floored it around 2500rpm, it started pulling, slowly at first, and then with more force once it got some revs...at which point the sound became incredible and the car really started moving, and didn't stop all the way to 6500+rpm!

Of course I caught up to some silly person driving along slowly, but luckily they turned off, so I could drop it into 2nd gear and floor it to hear that amazing exhaust note! I even found a bridge to echo the sound off of...holy crap! The sound gets even better once you get past 5000rpm; there is no need for aftermarket exhaust on this baby. 8)

I didn't get to go around many corners, but I did hit a few, and it felt like the car wasn't even making an effort, I really like the 'planted' feel the car had, gives you a great feeling of security. I got a few more chances to run it up to 6000+rpm...I just can't get over how well it pulled, and the sound it made.

Sorry guys, no pictures, so no proof, but it was either, come with a camera and take a couple pics, or come with a purpose and go for a test drive, so I hope you can understand...

Also, hopefully this is a good section to put this in.

Hey, if anyone wants it, its only $85,450.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
TT
Regular User

Well yes I guess we can understand why you couldn't take pictures :bah:

Nice occasion you had, I am sure it must have been a blast even if not in the twisties. Even a regular C4 pulls strong, so the S can't be worst can it?

As for the sound thing, I would really like to be able to hear the car you tested because to date I never heard a good sounding 996 C4S.. or a 996 for that matter... no matter what exhaust they put on it, the 996 is the worst sounding 911 ever
Old 07-31-2005, 05:42 AM   #3
dingo
Regular User

Good for you dude......great experience.

As for the sound of 996's, I do remember hearing a MkI GT3 blast down the street here and that sounded pretty impressive. Overall though I would agree they are not that great, but maybe from the drivers seat the sound seems better as you are the one 'creating' it.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

Well it's true that inside a 996 the sound is a bit better
Old 07-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Well it's true that inside a 996 the sound is a bit better
I'll tell you my thoughts on that when I get back from Alice Springs.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Evo
Regular User

When are you going to put down for first deposit on it.. ...

I know what you mean about the sound being amazing on the 996 but if it is possible go and check the 997S with porsche sport exhaust.. That thing sounds absolutly amazing.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
DJF1
Regular User

Heh.. another converted! Nice write up! The reason I have 2 993's is that I could not give up the cabrio. Indeed with the top down the sound, smells and the whole experience is out of this world and better than a coupe...
As for the exhaust there are many alternatives to the expensive Porsche system. I guess if you have it when you buy the car is a good thing, but there are certainly other alternatives to make any 911 sound amazing. Yes there is a RUF system which is identical to the one you describe with the bypass valve, but its expensive too... My preferes solution is to mount a set of Supercups on and then fire up the engine... The grin you are going to experience will most certainly be very very difficult to get rid off!
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
st-anger
Regular User

...good to see u enjoyed your ride the C4S is definitely among my favourite 996s - let me thank u for your nice write up and special contribution to Porsche Central - i think that´s what we love to read in here - first hand infos on our beloved brand

on a side note i´d like to greet my friend Danny nice that u made it here again, hope everything´s fine with u and you´re hopefully with best health again
hope that u´ll find the time to share some more of your experience with Porsche Central ppl - definitely looking forward to talk with u again in here...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
sentra_dude

Thanks for all the comments...I figured this was the best section to put this in.

As to the sound, well I thought the same thing about the 996, that sure it sounded purposeful, but it wasn't anything special. I heard this car from both outside and inside the car, and both ways it sounded really amazing. None of the Porsche videos I have even come close to what this one sounds like in person, I don't know, it was just really awesome.

I'm sure it had a lot to do with actually being in the car, it being a Carbio, and that exhaust it had. The sound was definitely a lot more lively & rough (maybe rough isn't the right word) than I was expecting.

Hey, my opinion changed, maybe Dingo's will too if the Porsche(s) he sees have good exhausts on them!

I really wish I could go back and video the sound of that car so you guys could hear it. As to comparision, I would say its about the best sounding car I've heard this side of anything Italian & exotic.

Also, st-anger, have you heard the sport exhaust thing? Besides the price (a lot I'm guessing) is there any reason we don't see it on more Porsches? From my experience it seems like a rare-ish option, but it really makes a lot of sense (to me at least) to be able to go between loud and quiet exhaust with a button on the dash (I'd love to have that on my car). 8)

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude

Hey, my opinion changed, maybe Dingo's will too if the Porsche(s) he sees have good exhausts on them!

I really wish I could go back and video the sound of that car so you guys could hear it. As to comparision, I would say its about the best sounding car I've heard this side of anything Italian & exotic.
I hope so - I'll get a ride in a 996 GT2 and Turbo so its obviously a bit different to the NA C4S but will be nice anyway. I will get plenty of video coverage so we can all analyse the sound.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:30 AM   #11
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
Cool man. I've never even seen a 997 and you get to test drive it. Cool.
it was a 996 C4S, not the 997 from what I read (and the title indicates).
Old 08-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Also, st-anger, have you heard the sport exhaust thing? Besides the price (a lot I'm guessing) is there any reason we don't see it on more Porsches? From my experience it seems like a rare-ish option, but it really makes a lot of sense (to me at least) to be able to go between loud and quiet exhaust with a button on the dash (I'd love to have that on my car). 8)
...well, of course i´ve seen it on A LOT of Porsches and i had the pleasure with PSE equipped cars myself quite some times and i really love it as well, especially the "on/off" thing - WHY many ppl tend to say "no" to it....hmmm...well, i don´t know to be honest, many - and especially the older customers ( 40+) - will think that it´s "loud" enough, others still prefer the original sound...no idea...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote