Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 10-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Canon K2 vs T2

i've been wanting to get an actual digital camera for awhile now, not just the point and click type that i have now. I want a Canon as i know they have always had a rep for good cameras and kind of justifiable prices.

The two i am looking at differ in price by about 100 bucks.

The Canon Rebel T2 is $299 and the K2 is $199. Neither one has an LCD view finder.

I'm just curious as to wether anyone here has either one and what their opinion on it was.

How are their night shots? User friendliness? Battery life?

Keep in mind they will be mainly used for car hunting (French Quarter Classic in December) and maybe a few nature shots plus Mardi Gras isn't too horribly far away

K2

T2

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

well... with those two options, id probobly pick the T2 for 100$ cheaper... but
you want a Digital camera, right? unfortunately, those are both 35mm film cameras, which is why there is no LCD screen on either of them.

you can, however have a decent camera for that 200-300 price range, but not with full interchangable lenses, unless you spot something on EBAY... like the Canon EOS 300D... but its still going to be over the 300 for the film camera.
http://tinyurl.com/an7re

in the long run, people love film cameras, but to me, the cost of film/development is going to catch up to you, no matter what you spend on the digital.

there are good digital cameras that are in the price range you're looking for... my first camera was the Sony DSC F717, which im finding on Ebay near the upper limit of your buget. i only have good things to say about that camera. 8) -not to mention there are others out there too.
http://tinyurl.com/76tep
Old 10-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
gigdy
Regular User

Default Re: Canon K2 vs T2

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
i've been wanting to get an actual digital camera for awhile now, not just the point and click type that i have now. I want a Canon as i know they have always had a rep for good cameras and kind of justifiable prices.

The two i am looking at differ in price by about 100 bucks.

The Canon Rebel T2 is $299 and the K2 is $199. Neither one has an LCD view finder.

I'm just curious as to wether anyone here has either one and what their opinion on it was.

How are their night shots? User friendliness? Battery life?

Keep in mind they will be mainly used for car hunting (French Quarter Classic in December) and maybe a few nature shots plus Mardi Gras isn't too horribly far away

K2

T2
as was said some what above. those arent digital cameras.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Indeed, those aren't digital cameras, and IMO today, even if you are a film camera freak, digital is the way to go
Old 10-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

dammit! why did i not notice that??? i thought it was a bit retarded that a digital wouldn't have an lcd view finder. last time i trust one of those morons behind the counter

fegging crap. my search continues

Old 10-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
MIHALS
Regular User

well, go for Canon Powershot A something like 85, or 95. this line is on the top of the class and will satisfy you very much IMO
Old 10-31-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
ZfrkS62
Regular User

how much is that going to set me back?

Old 10-31-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
MIHALS
Regular User

Powershot A95:
http://tinyurl.com/9ntvl

EDIT: thanks nthfinity for editing the link

yeah, they've got just this model, 'cos A85 is the previous model, so you can buy it second hand but I think this A95 is excellent and I would buy it, if was starting using digi cam ... just to make you sure: you can NOT change the lenses on the "cheaper" cameras I had a chance to work with this camera just one day, but the quality of the pics is excellent (well, it's canon, you can't expect anything else...)
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^^^^
tinyurl.com
your link is shurnk to this:

http://tinyurl.com/9ntvl
Old 10-31-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
ZfrkS62
Regular User

looks good, but i feel a little like a poser with the point click style cams. I'm prety much just concerned that i'm going to drop a couple hundred on a camera and still not eable to take a good nightshot, especially since that seems to be when i catch up to alot of nice cars. I have just discovered there is a Maserati rolling around town and i have a feeling i'll find it at night

Thanks for the suggestion Mihals, i'll go see if any stores have one in stock around here.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
MIHALS
Regular User

well the look of the camera is realy like "everybody look at me, I can even take a picture!" but when comes the time to see those pics, everybody get's shocked, what this square box can do

otherwise, if you want to spend some 100s, you can reach the price line of mine or TT's camera. mine was for about 411.00GBP, TT's was surely more expensive
Old 10-31-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
nthfinity
Regular User

as i suggested before... the used market isn't a bad thing; where you can get possibly great deals... (i guess id just ask the owner to take some costom photos of parts... (running under its own battery w/out being plugged in... lens condition... lcd condition, and current picture quality by making a costom shot for you)

something like this 8mp sony Cybershot F828 is currently a great deal for the time being @350... and EXCELLENT night shots... its actually the next step up from my first camera, the F717
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Cyber-shot-...QQcmdZViewItem

i would sell you mine, but its still not fixed
Old 10-31-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

how much would it cost to fix yours?

that cybershot looks awesome. insane amount of money for a used one though :shock:

Old 10-31-2005, 11:48 PM   #14
nthfinity
Regular User

that cybershot looks awesome. insane amount of money for a used one though
lol..... some of them are going near 1,000 for some unknown reason to me... they sell new @$799
when i bought mine, it was $750 or so with camera bag/memory/tripod

im not sure how much it'll cost to fix lol. the only problems with it is i think the bios is either dead, or needs to be re-flashed... and the ccd needs to be cleaned. possibly a 100-300$ fix im guessing.... which is where they fall in in the used catagory
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-DSC-F717-Cy...QQcmdZViewItem
damn good deal IMO if it all works right
Old 10-31-2005, 11:57 PM   #15
MIHALS
Regular User

don't buy that camera Z, here you've got the example that Sony should do just TVs and playstations

I would still buy any canon or minolta cameras, except D70 I have no idea about nikon...

anyway, I would first try to read some reviews about cameras you've put to the "final round" (I mean reviews from profesional photographers, not the ad reviews) and then compare and decide, which suits you most

good luck with choosing!!!