Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Chevrolet Corvette C5
subzero 2 9.52%
cool 9 42.86%
uncool 5 23.81%
seriously uncool 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
System
Regular User

Default Chevrolet Corvette C5

System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Evo8
Regular User

No. Just no. Another street rocket that can't turn. And the styling is neither innovative nor classic.

Seriously uncool.
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
enzoferrari
Regular User

subzero
Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
No. Just no. Another street rocket that can't turn. And the styling is neither innovative nor classic.

Seriously uncool.
And you are basing this obviously biased and ignorant response on what exactly?

Styling is subjective and opinion based and is open to interpretation by all - so you can have your "styling" comment - but the "performance" comment is the one I am interested in.

The car pictures is a 1999 FRC. There were very few cars in 1999 that were equal to that cars performance, let alone better - so I am really interested in the source of your misinformation.

RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
And you are basing this obviously biased and ignorant response on what exactly?

Styling is subjective and opinion based and is open to interpretation by all - so you can have your "styling" comment - but the "performance" comment is the one I am interested in.

The car pictures is a 1999 FRC. There were very few cars in 1999 that were equal to that cars performance, let alone better - so I am really interested in the source of your misinformation.

That isn't a 1999 FRC, notice as the rear glass is at the angle where it almost appears to be an FRC...

that said, it was still an 8:40 NS car back when it was impressive to break 9 minutes
Old 06-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
That isn't a 1999 FRC, notice as the rear glass is at the angle where it almost appears to be an FRC...

that said, it was still an 8:40 NS car back when it was impressive to break 9 minutes
Hmm - B-Pillar looks FRCis.. if its not, and its a 97 Coupe then it does suck... hehe
Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Evo8
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
on what exactly?
On seeing 'vettes run.

It accelerates like a rocket - but it turns like a train.

And it's all el cheapo, that's not cool.
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
graywolf624
Regular User

On seeing 'vettes run.

Apparently you've never driven a vette.. turning has never been one of their problems. Even the C4s turned well, they just were rough over tarmac. Even that issue is now gone.

As Clarkson said, the Vette was one of the first cars with over a g of lateral road holding.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Evo8 View Post
On seeing 'vettes run.

And it's all el cheapo, that's not cool.
I call BS on you ever having "seen Vettes run".

Name the track, the year of the car and the lap times you saw.

If you had seen any C5's run (1997 through 2004 models) you would know that over the years the C5 Coupe, the FRC and finally C5 Z06 stopped, turned and went toe to toe with its peers.

Please name the cars in the same power/weight/performance catagories that were so much better than the C5 Coupe, Vert. FRC and Z06 that they left them in the dust.

I do believe your bias is totally anactdotal and stereotypical and that you have actually never done any real reading/research with regard to perfoamce cars at all.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #10
Ghostbat
Regular User

Unccol in my book. If it was the Z06 I would have voted cool.
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #11
zeus_2011
Regular User

I think its cool, and as for the "not being able to turn" comments, come on.......lest we forget that the C5 was used very successfully to humble 911s and Ferraris on track, GM obviously had a good car to begin with in order to do that!!!!

Looks wise yeah, it may b more plain from some angles than a C6 but as noted above that is all subjective and dont forget that the 90s designs had this more "plain" look about them generally for all cars.....even Lambo toned down the Diablo and Ferrari came up with the 550 (gorgeous but "plain" when compared with the 512TR.

All in all a great car and shit fast standard!
zeus_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #12
Spiffu
Regular User

You guys are missing the point of the cool wall entirely, cool/uncool is not based on performance at all or even styling in some cases. Cars that are recognized as icons, not as just fast good looking vehicles, you'll notice on the cool wall all the super cars and track cars are in the seriously uncool section.

While they harped on cars like my mustang for the uh, interesting suspension it has. They put it in the very cool section for it's presence and looks.

So where does a C5 vette rank?

Well, it looks good.
Sounds really good(with mods)
Goes really fast.
Corners really well
It has racing pedigree

But it does not invoke a sense of "thats cool" when one goes by. They are too common to provoke a reaction of "woah there goes a vette." The C6 Z06's are even becoming common that even I don't notice them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the late 50's and 60's vettes, when I see one of those on the roads, I definitely do a double take. A 66 427 stingray is definitely subzero section material.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #13
79TA
Regular User

It's cool. When I think of the C5 I can't help but remember all of the articles back in the day that went it's a great performer . . . for under 40k. Sometimes that last part seemed like a compliment and somtimes a jab. Either way, it's a good looking car that has its priorities straight. When I see one, I generally think, "Oh, a C5, that's cool." And of course, that's just how I voted.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #14
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Spiffu View Post
You guys are missing the point of the cool wall entirely, cool/uncool is not based on performance at all or even styling in some cases. Cars that are recognized as icons, not as just fast good looking vehicles, you'll notice on the cool wall all the super cars and track cars are in the seriously uncool section.

While they harped on cars like my mustang for the uh, interesting suspension it has. They put it in the very cool section for it's presence and looks.

So where does a C5 vette rank?

Well, it looks good.
Sounds really good(with mods)
Goes really fast.
Corners really well
It has racing pedigree

But it does not invoke a sense of "thats cool" when one goes by. They are too common to provoke a reaction of "woah there goes a vette." The C6 Z06's are even becoming common that even I don't notice them.

Don't get me wrong, I love the late 50's and 60's vettes, when I see one of those on the roads, I definitely do a double take. A 66 427 stingray is definitely subzero section material.
This is our cool wall - not Clarkson's
Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #15
79TA
Regular User

Oh, and it was the first car to come with an LS1 . . . that's enough to make just about any car cool. In 1997 terms, this is SZ.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote