Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 03-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
fedezyl
Regular User

Default 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300 TI

Well just bought myself yesterday this car, 1200 dollars and in pretty good shape for the price, actually really good, the engine has just been rebuilt, about 1200km and so has the gearbox, there a few things to get done like the electrical system and find some parts, but oh well it's going to be my little project...
I have some pictures, if anyone is kind enough to upload it to his web space, since I don't have one nor I know how to upload in the first place....

fedezyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #2
1zippo1
Regular User

I can host them for you. Mail to [email protected] or if it's bigger then 1 meg to [email protected]

congrats on your purchase. I know you loves alfa's

EDIT: I didn't know the car so I went looking for some info:
http://www.capocciagroup.it/auto/autoepoca.html

if it looks like the 1750 1971 model then that is one very nice looking car!! Don't really like the 1966 model .... but that's just my taste
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
fedezyl
Regular User

Mine is the 1966 Giulia, I love the 1750, yesterday I went to this Alfa Romeo garage where they had a fully restored one and another one in restoration that was almost finished...one day i'll get one of those too, this one is staying in the family too
hey thanks for letting me host the pics in your web space! I sent you an email already!

Thanks mate!

Old 03-20-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
1zippo1
Regular User

Glad I can help you out. Enjoy your car and plz tell us about it when you've driven it for a while

1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
stradale
Regular User

Congratulations on your purchase. You've bought a lot of character there. Has the car been used in racing? It looks like it has a rollcage, or did I see that wrong? It might explain the different bumpers as well.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
fedezyl
Regular User

Hey Zippo thanks for hosting the pics!!
It hasn't been used for racing, and no rollcage either....the previous owner was...well...a somewhat tacky person....and a Bullshitter too, the car need some work done on it, specially on body and paintwork, but it's in pretty good shape, almost no rust for 33 years, the engine was rebuilt not long ago, as well as the gearbox, so mechanichally it's in very good shape, it just needs a new electrical system 2 new rear shock absorbers and then just bodywork and paint...i'm trying to decide the new color because I don't really like that white, i'm between red (obviously) and dark blue, also I already have the two bumpers, so that's going in as well, as well as getting the grill in black as the original one....man...I threw out the steering wheel cover thing that you see on the picture, very tacky, plus a little santa hanging from the rear view mirror and a little football team t-shirt that was in the windshield....plus I think some of the not original Alfa stickers are going out too...
I need to find the little parts though, like some of the door and window handles...
ohhh also...i'm using a 10 liter plastic thing for fuel, the fuel tank is leaking, plus the wipers aren't working as well as the speedometer, all little things that i'm fixing next week for sure...

As far as driving goes...well...it weights 900kgs and has 82bhp from a 1300cc engine...so it goes...haven't really tested handling and stuff either cause the car needs a wheel alignement pretty bad....

See all little things that i'm getting fixed next week, all but the bodywork and paint...that I need to save money cause it's not going to be cheap...ehheeh

Old 03-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
stradale
Regular User

The handling is the best part of it. It may not have a lot of power by today's standards, but you're going to have plenty of fun with it I'm sure.

Thanks for the explanation BTW. Can you tell me what it is that looked like a rollbar to me in the third picture then? You need original bumpers IMO, because the ones on it now look like they've been welded together by the previous owner using standard aluminium pipes from a DIY shop. Good thing the engine and body are in good condition though. Usually that's the expensive bit to get right.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:28 PM   #8
hemi_fan
Regular User

wow, that car looks like its in amazing condition for 1971! i've never seen one of those before, and it looks like quite a nice little car.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:28 AM   #9
fedezyl
Regular User

Hey, well, stradale, I think what you think was a rollbar in the third picture might be the B pillar from inside, i'm not really sure at what you are looking at....
The good thing about this country is that if you know some people you can get things done at very good quality for cheap...I think the paint job and bodywork can be done for 700 to 800 dollars, the electrical system wich i'm just going to throw out all the old wires and get everything new is costing me about 80 dollars, maybe 100...also i'm throwing in an alternator, it has a generator when it came out but for reliability i'm going to change to an alternator, i'm using this car as a daily driver, though i'm not doing many Km's a day, maybe 40 at the most, since I just come and go from the airport, I fly from there, but I think it should be in good shape in about 2 or 3 months....this next week is going to be the heavy part since i'm doing the electrical system and some other stuff....
It is a project yes, and as far as handling goes, as far as i've seen it's really nice, nimble and you can surprise quite a bit of cars heheh....
i'll post some work in progress pictures, i'm starting on it on monday, since next week is pretty light too for me, as far as work is about, next week i'm going to a friend's house 120km's away, it's a beach house, so I can put some highway miles on it and finish breaking in the engine. So far everything seems to be going ok, lot's of little details to take care of but it should be quick to get up to standard....
Anyways, thanks for the interest on the car, I know there aren't many JW members to own old classic cars, but this is something i've had in the back of my mind for ages and owning my first Alfa Romeo is like a dream to me, plus it's RWD...and that equals fun...hehehe
I have a friend of mine with a digital camera that can record up to 10 or more minutes of video so expect a few videos later on...

Old 03-21-2004, 11:46 PM   #10
fedezyl
Regular User

Well it's going to the shop tomorrow, hopefully by the end of the week the only real things left would be the bodywork and paint...i'm taking the camera too so expect some work in progress pics!

Old 03-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #11
VerderameJ
Regular User

Default Nice aquisition

Looks like you have a nice project car there. Myself I am have always been partial to Rosso Corsa (Racing red the Italian national color) but Dark blue is a marvelous color for Italians too. I have seen the only original Ferrari NART Spider in the original Dark Blue and it looked so much more distinct than its repainted red bretheren. Then again in the end it is all a matter of taste. Are you gonna strip it down to the body paint it all and rebuilt it totally? Might be a good idea given that the wiring looks like it needs to be all done again from the pic as it seems to be a mess. Definitly will be a noticed car where ever you go. Nice job on aquiring it. I would love to see it as it progresses
-Joseph Verderame
98 S70 with a few mods
VerderameJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:42 AM   #12
fedezyl
Regular User

Well about the wiring, yes it's a mess the previous owner...well was a total disgrace to the brand....i'm so glad I have the car and not him...
As far as everything goes, when i'll paint it i'm totally stripping it out, treating it against rust and painting it...again...i'm really between those two colors...
The things I have to find are the little things like door handles and a new blinkers control and stuff...but I know a guy that can find me that stuff.....hopefully it should be in pretty good shape in about 3 or 4 months...given the money of course....

Old 03-22-2004, 12:53 AM   #13
VerderameJ
Regular User

It is always nice to see an owner who prides themselves on the care of their vehicle. Conversly it is so painful to see the ones that dont...
On the subject of wiring...well lets just say once it is a mess it is so much better for the car and your sanity to just tear it all out and redo it all... My ex gf had a 75 BMW 2002 which she got for 1K. descent car but the wiring was a mess, along with several other things.... That car was a total candidate for a teardown and complete rebuild/restoration. yours doesn't look anything close to that old pile she had...we chased problems in it until she sold it...thank goodness for that...
As for color choice...have you looked for others in red or blue? ever though about photoshoping the colors to help you decide on what shade and color? might really help.
Enjoy your Italian.

-Joseph Verderame
98 S70 with a few mods
Old 03-22-2004, 01:05 AM   #14
fedezyl
Regular User

Well, I actually saw a Giulia in Red when I went to the Alfa garage, the guy that restores Alfa's here, absolutely beautiful...but i'm also looking for a color that looks nice but is a bit different than the usual Rosso Corsa...
As far as the 2002, I was about to buy one, well I saw a couple of them, but i've always been inclined to Alfa's, and l saw the ad for it in the News Paper, I went and saw it and that same day I bought it, kind of impulsive I know...but that's how I am with cars...once the right one has appeared...
Coming back to the 2002's, awesome cars, there are many here that are in terrible shape, i've seen all kinds of things done to these cars that make me cry....people not knowing what they have in their hands and treating it like crap....i've also seen some very nice ones...I know that the Giulia and 2002 were competing with one and other in the 70's...
As far as photoshop, i'd love to see it in a different color but sadly my abilities with the program extend to only double clicking on the icon to start it...if anyone would like to help i'm more than thankful for it...
As far as the previous owner...well you should have seen the things he was planning on doing, like adding some fake wood and shit to the dashboard and some other crap that is to sad to mention....
oh well, wish me luck!
hehe

Old 03-22-2004, 01:26 AM   #15
VerderameJ
Regular User

Yeah I have seen lots of Alfas in red and prolly just at many in off white or tan. My cousin has a blue alfa I think a 156 sedan...but I forget which model exactly. very nice deep dark blue. very striking color.
I wish I could help you with the photoshoping...a while back I had all that software but since I no longer work for the same people I no longer have the software...hopefully someone on here has the software and the skills necessary.
I totally understand about the people doing bad modifications...I used to own a V12 Jaguar XJS (92 year) and I always found it so painful to see a Jag become a "lump" as they were called. Take the engine and transmission out of a car and you take the heart and soul out. Sometimes you see a neatly modified or custom car, sadly most of the time they are just tacks and disturbing. I get the feeling that yours will be very plush and tasteful when complete. If you need any parts I might know a junk yard in Santa Rosa, CA that might be able to help you find some of the parts you need. The guy who owns it loves little european cars, always has lots of parts for them. We used to get tons of parts for that '02 there and he was really reasonable.
'02's are fun cars. Hers was a 4 speed too but not a Tii. I was at the Concorso Italiano this last year and there were a ton of them in the Corral (for all the non-Italian cars) including 3 matching pristine white Alpinas. It was really nice to see them.
But you know what...in the end the Alfa is a much more interesting car and has a distictive character that the BMWs lack. I think in the end you made the right choice and will cherish the car.

-Joseph Verderame
98 S70 with a few mods