Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #16
TopGearNL
Regular User

^^ Oh yes!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #17
jon_s
Regular User

New wheels have arrived - uploading pics as I type this 8)

edit: - more pics on the latest walish post
8)
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
gis
Regular User

ohhh those look nice jon.
also the 1.7 puma turbo,that be interesting,there is a guy at zsoc who has one,but ive not asked much about it so i dont know how costly it is,i guess in a way it would be cheaper to put in the car as its a simple drop in.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5803/dansigsp7.jpg
gis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #19
jon_s
Regular User

Is that Toby? aka FQTurboPuma

If so, that is who Mark has been talking too about it. As for expense - a LOT. Probably more than the 1.8t.

1k - Garrett GT28RS
2k - Motek management & map
1k - Custom rods & pistons
£500 - Custom manifold
£800 - Low mileage engine

and the list goes on........
Old 03-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
gis
Regular User

yea,its an interesting combo the 1.7 and turbo,but i think for straight out simple upgrade the 1.8t is the better option.should be able source one of those cheap considering there in a million different cars,lol.an S3 one may be more expensive than sourcing a simple 150hp 1.8t

Old 03-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #21
TopGearNL
Regular User

Wheels look great Jon!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
jon_s
Regular User

I know! I love them - which, I suppose is a good thing!

Watch this space - they will be on the car by mid April. Wooooo - Can't wait!

Danny - I will be looking for the 225bhp Audi TT engine. There are plenty about. It is just a case of waiting for the combination of my finances and the right engine 8)
Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #23
gis
Regular User

lol i constantly try to imagine my car with that power,simply because of how light the fiesta is,its gonna be a great experience,i was taken for a spin in a corsa with a 2 litre dropped in,running about 180hp and the lightness of the car with that power was amazing with even 180hp,so 225hp in a car slightly lighter than the corsa.....

Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 AM   #24
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

Nice colour on the car! I'm going to follow this project
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #25
jon_s
Regular User

Cheers mate - when it is in the sun it should really 'pop' if you will forgive my 'bling bling' terminology!

I think I will try to keep this thread updated with the major developments, but the real detail will be in the diary. I will try and turn on the subscription element so that people can get an email when I update the diary.

Also, is there anyone who is good with coding? We are really struggling with page numbers. The software is B2Evolution:

http://b2evolution.net/

Dean has been asking here:
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewto...hlight=numbers
Old 03-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #26
jon_s
Regular User

Walish Update - problems with my wheels :cry:
Old 03-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #27
DeanGTI
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
Cheers mate - when it is in the sun it should really 'pop' if you will forgive my 'bling bling' terminology!

I think I will try to keep this thread updated with the major developments, but the real detail will be in the diary. I will try and turn on the subscription element so that people can get an email when I update the diary.

Also, is there anyone who is good with coding? We are really struggling with page numbers. The software is B2Evolution:

http://b2evolution.net/

Dean has been asking here:
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewto...hlight=numbers
If anyone does have the knowledge the php to help get this done, I may well be asking for some assistance soon. I have a plan up my sleeve after speaking to the creator of b2evolution himself.

'98 Golf GTI 8v
JW Nurburgring Attendee '07
www.walish.co.uk
DeanGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #28
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
Walish Update - problems with my wheels :cry:
Bad to hear, why?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #29
jon_s
Regular User

There is a full write up on Walish, but this is what it says [p.s more pics from the bodyshop are up too]

"As always, things don't run quite as smoothly as I would like. I don't think I am fussy, but problems like the one I am about to outline are a bit of a pain to deal with.

Ok, so what I am jabbering on about. Let me start at the beginning. I rang the very helpful and knowledgeable people over at BMTR (see link above) to order my center caps. No problem, brushed alloy thank you very much.

Two minutes later I get an email asking me to call him back. A bit odd, but fair enough. Now, are you sitting down for this one? I am glad I was! Luckily, I had supplied photos of the wheels and the serial number on the box. When David from BMTR read this out to the bloke at Speedline (while ordering the caps) he knew exactly what wheels they were! Very strange considering they all look alike to me.

It transpires that in 2003, this very chap from Speedline took an order for 200 sets of wheels for a one off race series (based around the Ford Focus). However, the race series fell through and 200 sets of wheels flooded the market.

As they are a race wheel, the central hole does not have a recess for the caps to sit in, therefore they will not fit my wheels.

A shame but by no means the end of the world. Well, not the end of the world if that was the only problem - but oooh no there is more.

As is it a requirement for race cars to be equipped with 14mm studs, wheels I have were made to accommodate that. Now the problem is, my car, along with ever other road going Fiesta/Focus has 12mm studs. Therefore as things stand, the wheels are useless. Not only that, as far as I am aware, the wheels will not fit any other road going car in the UK - which by my calculation makes them worthless in the general market.

Solution?

Well, there is a solution, but it is a fairly big decision to make. I can convert my front hubs to accept 14mm studs. It involves drilling them out and sourcing studs from a suitable car. The last resort would be to have studs made up.

There seems to be little point throwing money at converting my rear hubs with the drum brakes to 14mm, therefore I would have to bring forward my rear disc conversion. There is an obvious cost factor in this!

Once I have done this, my wheels should fit. I have asked David from BMTR to give me the name and contact details of his chap at Speedline, as I want to check a few details before I venture down this route.

Drawbacks?

There are a few. The most obvious one is that going down this route means that I not only have custom wheels, I also have custom hubs. Meaning that not only would OZ wheels be out of the equation, the Fox range of wheels I so easily dismissed would also be out of the question! If I damaged a wheel beyond repair I would be searching for a needle in a hay stack to find a replacement. I would have to replace all the wheels and revert back to the standard hubs. This would also cost money as for obvious reasons, you can convert 12mm into 14mm, but you can't go from 14mm to 12mm!

Oh, finally, it may also be possible to have a company mill out the small recess to accept the center caps. That is assuming I understood him correctly on that point. I have to admit, I was slightly distracted when he moved onto the second point.

Is it worth selling?

Probably not. I have probably shot myself in the foot by disclosing all this, as I could have easily just put them up on ebay and not said anything. However, I am an honest chap and given my profession, that would not be advisable.

Anyway. I am not making any rash decisions. I will pick my car up and then decide what to do.

I fully expected to have to deal with this kind of problem when I was doing the engine conversion, but I was not expecting to have to solve this kind of thing on something as simple as wheel selection!

On a brighter note, while I have been typing this, new pics from the bodyshop have been downloading. "
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #30
666fast
Regular User

In my experience, car geeks always want the rare stuff, no matter what the cost is. I know someone who imported some wheels from the Netherlands at a hefty cost. I think they were Fisher wheels, but don't quote me on that. All I know is that they were made a billion years ago and in a very limited quantity.
Sell them IMO, there will be someone who wants to be different and will pay to do so. Various tuners always build show cars for magazines and stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested in them. How many times have you seen a car in a mag, that has a description about some super obscure (therefore cool) part?

So yea, if I were you, I'd sell them. Wheels do break, bend, scratch and get stolen and I wouldn't want to deal with trying to find a replacement. Save the time and money and buy something that fits the standard hubs. Do the rear disc brake anyway, cause it's the right thing to do.