Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #151
jon_s
Regular User

Alcons v Brembo:

jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #152
jon_s
Regular User

I have done a bit of crude mocking up using FRP brake discs - it looks like I have a bit of room to play with under the wheels. My main concern is now focused on the any modification the caliper may need to get it to fit around the hub - I suspect the ABS reluctor ring may cause a bit of a problem - we shall see. Anyway, some pics:

Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #153
jon_s
Regular User

I will not be the quickest to 178mph (the fastest Fiesta in the UK - http://www.area-six.co.uk/Customer%20Cars.htm ) but hell it will stop!! I am a little more comfortable with the amount of clearance the wheels allow. Time to get the discs and pads then....I don't know if I should the Ford Focus ST170 discs (300mm) or 'special' Brembo ones for Fords which are 305mm.....decisions decisions...
Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #154
pagani
Regular User

Question

Originally Posted by jon_s View Post
The Focus RS ones went for quite steep money so I let them go. These are off an EVO IX which is being rally prep'd. They have only covered 70 miles from new and only cost me £255 which is a bit of a bargain in my book. I will have to get some custom brackets made up; however I know a good 'lazer dude' as I call him who can knock some up easily.

As for the rears - you are quite right about the slave handbrake caliper. I have looked at Wilwood and they have a few options. I was looking at getting the rear brakes that went with the calipers I bought - there were a few people after them though, so the price went beyond what I was prepared to pay.

All in good time though. The plan is - put the Brembos on the front and see what the balance is like with the current set up. Then I will make a decision with the rears. As soon as you start playing with too many things at once (at least where a balance is concerned) you just don't know where to start in fixing any issues!

I also nearly bought the ECU recently - a Motec M4 Pro with Military spec connections and additional lambada inputs went for £890. Considering it all cost over 2k new - that would have been a good purchase.

0X
Since uses the british army stand alone ecu's?
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #155
jon_s
Regular User

Don't quite follow you mate? Do you mean - since when does the British Army use stand alone ECUs?

The Military Spec connections are just completely waterproof e.t.c - the round connection on this Motec M880 is Mil Spec....

http://www.who-sells-it.com/ctp/350/16/full/

The square connectors on these ECUs are the normal - non military spec - connections:

http://www.who-sells-it.com/ctp/350/31/full/
Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #156
ae86_16v
Regular User

Wow, those brakes are amazing. And that's the way the rims should be, just barely fitting the calipers.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #157
Zot09
Regular User

That is going to look totally awesome once it's mounted up! Congrats on those beautiful Brembo's!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #158
jon_s
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo View Post
Hehe I think he made a joke Jon....
Doh! Missed that

Been trying to look for brake pads - being a bit of a pain as I am not 100% on what pads they take. When I look up the Brembo site, I should be using pads: 107.4865.80. [ http://tinyurl.com/32z4ph ]

However, when I look up the Brembo uk shop, they say 07.8301.74. [ http://www.bremboshop.co.uk/p1163601.htm ]

Oddly, other sites say that 07.8301.74s are for Alfa's!

On the off chance any of you have access to things I don't, the caliper codes are 20.7187.02

Old 11-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #159
jon_s
Regular User

Found some brand new OE Evo XI pads on ebay £100 delivered - a nice saving compared to walking into a dealership! Should have them some time during the week. Just the discs are needed now.

I will be doing a proper mock up, including the brackets e.t.c, in a few weekends time - can't wait

Not the best pic:

Last edited by jon_s; 11-25-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #160
jon_s
Regular User

I think we may have found a solution for the rear brakes....

Do you think that rears will be too powerful? hahaha

p.s this is a joke...
Old 12-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #161
Skaala
Regular User

what size discs are you able to fit on those calippers? They look very similar to the ones I have in the rear on the RS2
Old 12-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #162
jon_s
Regular User

Now for the Brembo story with pictures!

I bought a set of front brakes from A Evo XI which had done 70 miles. The car was being rally prepared and the brakes were being replaced. perfect! £255 later, I was the proud owner of some Evo Brembos.

I measured everything up and was pretty confident that they would fit under the 16s I have with 300 - 305mm discs. So, everything arrived and I started putting it together...

....as you can see from these pics - the pads look like they were made for the 300mm ST170 discs!!

I then put the pads in the caliper and made sure the caliper assembly cleared the discs...bingo - everything is looking perfect!

Time to see what the sit like in the wheel.....plenty of room - they clear the spokes with around 5mm to spare!

Ok, last hurdle....the hub

Things are looking a little tighter than expected. The hub hits the caliper and has still got 40mm to go before it is still home in the disc.

The first option would be to cut away the part of the caliper that is in the way. However, this is very close to the mounting holes and requires the structural webbing of the caliper to be cut through. I have no way of knowing how the brake would react under heavy repeated braking that the Nurburg Ring would inflict on them. It is possible that they could completely sheer off!! This is not a risk I am willing to take just to get some Evo brakes on.

So, any other options? Spacers are a possibility. The above close up of the mounting points is after the disc and wheel have been spaced out. As you can see from below, the spacing on each side would be pretty substantial to say the least! Given that this car will be producing a lot more power in the not to distant future, I am not really willing to put the CVs etc under the additional load that the spacers would put them under. I would spend mosu of my time replacing worn out parts!! Not to mention the fact that my front wheels would then stick out beyond my front wings. The first sign of a large bump at speed I would be saying good buy to my wing and hello to my bodyshop!

Any other options? Yes, I thought about having the original hubs re-drilled with the mounting points much closer to the body of the hub and cutting off the access which could allow the caliper to slip in. However, the underside of the hub's hangers thickens towards the body. Therefore, if we were to drill new holes there, any bolt the other side may a) simply not for or b) not sit flush with the back of the hangers. Again, this is a safety compromise that I am not willing to take.

Anything else?! Yes! Custom alloy hubs! They would be lighter and I could have the hangers made to my specification. However, an off the shelf alloy fiesta hub is £1,500 (for both sides). That is without any custom work! Little point in exploring that further as the costs is prohibitive.

Not all is lost, as we mocked the smaller Brembo brakes up in the below pic, and they should fit a bit easier! Just need to sell on the Evo stuff (something I could not do if I started to butcher them!) and source a set. I may even just go for the standard Ford ST170 calipers on the front and rear as they are an awesome set up!