Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > What Do You Drive Or Ride ?

What Do You Drive Or Ride ? No bullshit inside here please

Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default 2002 Audi S6 C5 Avant

Sold the S4 for an S6 to better accomodate the family.

2002 Audi S6 Avant
Alcantara seat inserts and headliner
Silky smooth 4.2L V8 with 340bhp to surprise the unsuspecting.

It's an excellent car. For a "wagon," it handles very well. My only dislike is the somewhat slow shifting tiptronic transmission. Perhaps GIAC's transmission chip is in order? I went ahead and threw on the roof rack to complete the "sleeper" look...although those flares are pretty "in your face." I think I will keep this car for some time...and if the motor ever goes bad...RS6 motor swap will have to be considered. However, I do not think I will have much to worry about, so long as I take care of the car.

On a side note, anyone know an RS6 owner that upgraded their exhaust and doesn't want their stock exhaust anymore? I heard the S6 with the RS6 exhaust sounds really good (although this is a true RS6):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=audi+s6&hl=en

This is apparently and S6 with an RS6 exhaust...too bad the quality is so poor:

And...good enough for Tiff, good enough for me:

Last edited by TT; 02-07-2008 at 09:30 AM.
StanAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
ViperASR
Regular User

cool car, congrats :good:

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
novass
Regular User

Nice purchase!!! I love the sleeper look of the wagon. I really want my next car to be a S4 wagon with the 4.2 (im not that big and I dont plan on having a family anytime soon so I dont need the space LOL)

About the exhaust, I cant imagine a RS6 exhaust would be cheap and easy to come by compared to an aftermarket model since there werent many RS6s made. I could be wrong though.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

Cool car, congrats
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
komotar
Regular User

congrats man!

It looks like a sleeper allright. I love that about the S6. 8)

hope you 2 get along

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
antonioledesma
Regular User

great car Stan
now to smoke some idiot with a "fast" car having 250 hp under his hood
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
T-Bird
Regular User

very nice selection I've always wanted an Audi Avant wether in 4 or 6 form. But I can't help but notice a fairly new (04-06) MDX in the garage so why need the wagon for the family?
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Great car Stan! The S cars are real sleepers particularly in wagon form. Go terrorize some sports cars in your neighborhood. How is Porker doing?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
StanAE86
Regular User

Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Novass: I'm hoping to meet someone that upgraded their own RS6 exhaust and just has it lying around and wouldn't mind getting rid of it cheap, or free. =)

Dani: From what I know, the RS6 Avant looks exactly the same as my S6. Both share the same fender flares, which are much wider than the standard A6 and both have those skirt things towards the bottom by the rockers. It's just the "motivation" that is different.

T-Bird: The MDX is my wife's car. I hate SUVs and initially, was trying to get her to buy an S6 Avant or 540i Touring, but she wouldn't bite and wanted something bigger. The S6 is my daily driver, and at times, when I would have to bring my son out, moving him in and out of the back seat was difficult...so this was my opportunity to move up a little. =) Incidentally, I recently moved a bunch of stuff, and but for the fact that the MDX's cabin is slightly higher, with the seats folded down, my S6 carries nearly as much as her MDX. And, I've got 100 more horsepower and waaaay better handling. Plus, Acura's AWD can't touch Quattro!

Sameerrao: The RSA is doing well. I didn't have a chance to drive it for several weeks and took it out last week to run errands. I recently upgraded the exhaust manifolds, and haven't finished the project yet, so it's go not heat. Brrrr...cold! But, it feels much faster than with the OEM manifolds. I love that car!

The weekend after I got the car, I went to the Bay Area to visit my family and to show my friend the car (he has an S4 biturbo Avant). I smoked an E36 M3 on the freeway. =)

I saw the newer V8 S4 Avant on the highway recently, great looking car. I wouldn't mind one, but for the smaller chassis. Very good lines, and aggressive, but subtle bodywork...
Old 12-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
T-Bird
Regular User

well the gen 1 AWD can't rival Quattro but have you driven an SH-AWD yet? like in the RL? they even said it was better on 5th gear but the car is just too heavy and too slow (which I agree with on both points)
Old 12-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
StanAE86
Regular User

I don't think the SH comes on all Acura cars. Just the ones with that specific designation. I have yet to see it tested in adverse conditions. It seems that it's more geared towards on road performance. I wonder how it would handle in the snow, etc...where Quattro kind of made its name. I understand that X-drive in the BMW X5 (again, not all their AWD vehicles) is supposed to be pretty damn good. It would be nice to see an unbiased head to head....
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by StanAE86
I don't think the SH comes on all Acura cars. Just the ones with that specific designation. I have yet to see it tested in adverse conditions. It seems that it's more geared towards on road performance. I wonder how it would handle in the snow, etc...where Quattro kind of made its name. I understand that X-drive in the BMW X5 (again, not all their AWD vehicles) is supposed to be pretty damn good. It would be nice to see an unbiased head to head....
actually as of '07 all Acura AWD is SH-AWD including the new MDX and RDX. the MDX actually manages pretty good performance for the size of it. with the new Magnetic shocks on the Sport MDX it managed a .84 G on the Skid-pad from Car and Driver and someone else actually managed the claimed .9 (not bad for a bulky SUV) and despite it only having a 300hp V6 it definitely moves. I haven't had too much trouble with SH-AWD in the winter as long as you keep VSA on,with it off the cars become more RWDlike and can be very fun yet squirlly under extremely wet conditions.

Granted I think Quattro is better for winter applications no doubt but just be so quick to doubt the others capabilities I would rather have an RS6 avant anyday of the week just like the one in Layer Cake.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
StanAE86
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
just [don't] be so quick to doubt the others capabilities
Nah, F that. I say start out skeptical and make them prove it. All too often there are claims, but nothing to back it up. As of right now, I still say Quattro and X-drive are at the top. I've heard the great reviews of the RL with SH-AWD, but again, these tend to be average weather conditions. Until I see a good head to head with Quattro, I'm not jumping boat and I remain convinced that Quattro is the benchmark...with perhaps the new X-drive right there.

You have to knock the king of the moutain down, before you can claim the title. I'm not picking fights, because you clearly have exposure to an SH car, which I don't have the privilege of. My only experience is with Quattro and a prior Subaru, which also was excellent. So, I may be wrong, but ignorance is bliss I guess.

On a side note, I don't really like what Acura has done with the new MDX. I can live with the front grill treatment, but I don't like how they moved the navi so far down and I hate what they did with that rear 3/4 window. It seems everyone is copying Nissan's FX style SUV and I know that it has a HUGE blindspot because of that designed window...looks like fashion before function. :cry:

Dani: Yeah looks like subtle differences in the bumpers too.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment....2&d=1061065318
Old 12-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
Wutputt
Regular User

Congrats with the new sleeper
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #15
Skaala
Regular User

congrats with the new ride Stan! looks great.. you may be able to find some useful info at www.rs6.com on the RS6 engine and mods for the S6.